Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1/2" bits in a 3/8" chuck?

Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can remove your 3/8 chuck and buy a 1/2 that fits the same
thread pattern. A good hardware store should have ii.

You could also buy the same 1/2 chuck and install it on a bolt and
saw off the head to chuck in your 3/8. The 3/8 spindle should be
a 3/8-24 thread. The 1/2 spindle should be a 1/2-20. They also
make 1/2 chuck with a 3/8-24 thread.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8"
chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 9:18 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

For the price of a 1/2" chuck and the trouble installing
it, you could buy a new 1/2" drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

There are 1/2" drills which are stepped down to fit 3/8" chucks. I've had a
Craftsman set from the mid 70's with just that on the 1/2 drill. Try
www.use-enco.com or www.mcmaster.com for specialty items such as this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

Turn down the bits to 3/8" or buy a 1/2" drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:18:03 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:

Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

You KNOW the answer, JP... you're just looking for confirmation..

YES, you should buy a nice 1/2 drill-driver and at least one extra battery and
several accessories....

You're welcome, glad to support a fellow tool junkie..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 8:18 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
************
chuckling

You can buy a Makita 9/16" hammer drill, keyless (Makita HP1501K) for
about 69.00 on line.
I got one free with my LS1013 SCMS, (I wouldn't have bought one 'cuz I
already had a 1/2" Milwaukee, but what the hey...it was free.) and now
it is the most used drill in my shop. (The cordless ones seem to
always hide in boxes or bags somewhere.... the cord actually serves as
a locator as well.G)
Lots of balls, will run at high speeds and just a nice grip too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got a 1/2" drill. What I was thinking of doing was using a drill
guide like LV et al sell. But they only have 3/8" chucks on them.
The 3/4" LV brad point bit I have is 1/2" shanked, and that's the one
I'd wanted to use. It's not a big deal, I just used a 3/4" forstner
bit instead.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 2:50 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've got a 1/2" drill. What I was thinking of doing was using a drill
guide like LV et al sell. But they only have 3/8" chucks on them.
The 3/4" LV brad point bit I have is 1/2" shanked, and that's the one
I'd wanted to use. It's not a big deal, I just used a 3/4" forstner
bit instead.

JP

Great! You're all set then. I misuderstood your question.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there any sort of 1/2" chuck that you can chuck into a 3/8" chuck
so you can use half inch drill bits with your 3/8" drill?

JP
chuckling

Just buy the bit that will fit. I mount up to 1/2" bits in my 3/8" chuck
all the time. Many bits larger than 3/8" are made with 3/8" shanks.