Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Over-spray on Reading Glasses, ??Cleaning

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

Over-spray of what? Paint? Varnish? I'd had good luck with liquid hand
soap, warm water and fingertips which is all I use to clean plastic lenses
anyway, I never clean them dry. A wet thumbnail seems to peel off paint,
but perhaps some other finishes would be more difficult to remove if there
is an ingredient that has reacted with the plastic.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"evodawg" wrote in message
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

I used to use waterless hand cleaner back when I used to forget to take
off my glasses G

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic
or
distort it.

Overspray of _what_? Latex will generally come off in regular
cleaning although it may take a few repetitions. Other kinds of paint
may not.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:54:56 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

just so happens I had this issue today! layed my glasses [plastic
lenses] on the bench and sprayed some rattle can poly. OOPS!!!!. I am
near sighted and dont need them to do up close work. I used laquer
thinner on a paper shop towel. It cleaned em right up but left streaks
so Ishot some windex on em and they're good as new. DONT USE
ACETONE!!!! DAMHIKT...... :-]

skeez

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

Basic reason I refuse to have plastic lens.

An Xacto knife does a great job of scraping glass lens clean.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:09:10 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

Basic reason I refuse to have plastic lens.

An Xacto knife does a great job of scraping glass lens clean.

Lew

I used to use glass lenses but as my eyes worstened they became too
heavy and uncomfortable to have resting on the ol shnozzola. its too
bad too because I liked em better! :-]
Posted to rec.woodworking

"skeez" wrote:

I used to use glass lenses but as my eyes worstened they became too
heavy and uncomfortable to have resting on the ol shnozzola. its too
bad too because I liked em better!

Understand.

I wear the "RayBan" aviator glasses which require a 62mm blank.

They are a little heavy, but after almost 40 years, they grow on
yougrin.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

evodawg wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

Over-spray of what? Paint? Varnish? I'd had good luck with liquid hand
soap, warm water and fingertips which is all I use to clean plastic lenses
anyway, I never clean them dry. A wet thumbnail seems to peel off paint,
but perhaps some other finishes would be more difficult to remove if there
is an ingredient that has reacted with the plastic.

I get my reading glasses for $2.99. Just wipe them off with a homemade
tack cloth... ;-)

--
"Keep your ass behind you."
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote in news:gcto72$fl4$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

Do you know what kind of plastic your lenses are? With that information,
you can do some research into what thinners/cleaners will work without
messing up your glasses. I'd probably try low odor mineral spirits myself.

If nothing else, visit a crafts or hobby shop and ask for something
specificially for removing paint from plastic. Modelers have used brake
fluid, but it softens some plastics.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

Basic reason I refuse to have plastic lens.

An Xacto knife does a great job of scraping glass lens clean.

Lew

yes but glass is heavy on the nose!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

just so happens I had this issue today! layed my glasses [plastic
lenses] on the bench and sprayed some rattle can poly. OOPS!!!!. I am
near sighted and dont need them to do up close work. I used laquer
thinner on a paper shop towel. It cleaned em right up but left streaks
so Ishot some windex on em and they're good as new. DONT USE
ACETONE!!!! DAMHIKT...... :-]

skeez

Ok I'll try that. wasn't sure if thinner would cause problems on the
plastic...
Btw it was an oil base.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

evodawg wrote in news:gcto72$fl4$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

Do you know what kind of plastic your lenses are? With that information,
you can do some research into what thinners/cleaners will work without
messing up your glasses. I'd probably try low odor mineral spirits
myself.

If nothing else, visit a crafts or hobby shop and ask for something
specificially for removing paint from plastic. Modelers have used brake
fluid, but it softens some plastics.

Puckdropper

Have no clue.. I know brake fluid does a number on a cars finish!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

Basic reason I refuse to have plastic lens.

An Xacto knife does a great job of scraping glass lens clean.

Lew

I gave up on glass lenses years ago when polycarbonate lenses were shown to
me. Get them with a scratch resistant coating and I believe they are tougher
than glass. I do metal work and weld splatter burns into glass and ruins the
lens, poly the weld splatter sticks, but is removed easily with no apparent
damage. Also the poly lenses are tough! I took a hit in the lens years ago
when a tool broke and pieces flew and hit the glass lens and broke it into a
million sharp, jagged pieces. To break the poly lens I would have to take a
shot to the head that would probably kill me before the lens would break. I
have "tested" old poly lenses with a hammer and they are darned near
impossible to break.
I also have wiped the lenses off with lacquer thinner to clean them.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

just so happens I had this issue today! layed my glasses [plastic
lenses] on the bench and sprayed some rattle can poly. OOPS!!!!. I am
near sighted and dont need them to do up close work. I used laquer
thinner on a paper shop towel. It cleaned em right up but left streaks
so Ishot some windex on em and they're good as new. DONT USE
ACETONE!!!! DAMHIKT...... :-]

skeez

Laquer thinner will also take off the finish on the frames...

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

just so happens I had this issue today! layed my glasses [plastic
lenses] on the bench and sprayed some rattle can poly. OOPS!!!!. I am
near sighted and dont need them to do up close work. I used laquer
thinner on a paper shop towel. It cleaned em right up but left streaks
so Ishot some windex on em and they're good as new. DONT USE
ACETONE!!!! DAMHIKT...... :-]

I generally use paint thinner, rather than lacquer thinner on my glasses.
If you have any coatings on your glasses, the coating will likely not
respond well to applications of lacquer thinner. Left on long enough and
lacquer thinner can fog plastics too.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you have perscrition lenses, contact the company you got them from
and ask them! All "plastic" lenses are not created equal. or are the
optional coatings that can be applied. Those protective coatings are
continually getting better at everything.
A couple of years ago I got some pretty bad solvent on my one or two
year old glasses and it left the lenses hazy in several areas. It was
a mixture of things including toluene, ketone, etc, etc. The company I
get my glasses from said that shouldn't have been a problem and replaced
the $400 lenses for free!
I have no idea how $10 drug store lenses might respond. I wish
that's all I needed. I'd buy a new pair once a month.

Several years ago the was a TV commercial that offered a simple to apply
coating for damaged lenses; you know the old "$19.95" type of deal. I
had some scratched lenses at the time so I tried it. It worked pretty
well, but I did something else to the lenses that caused the coating
itself to go bad in a couple of spots and I couldn't clean them up, so I
gave up on the product.
Two or three years LATER I get a call from that coating mfr, asking
how I liked their product and did I want to order more. I told them
how things went to H***. They told me that all I had to do was to use
the pre-coating lense cleaner that came with the kit and that would have
taken the first coating off. Then I could have re-coated.
---Too late now, but it could have worked!

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

I avoid getting the overspray in the first place by taking off my
glasses. I'd replace reading glasses (about $3) if I got paint on
them. Glass prescription glasses are best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 4:54*pm, evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

Belt sander. 36 grit.

It doesn't matter which brand of belt sander...in all cases, the
overspray will be gone... but so will your glasses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

rm -f --nomelt --nodistort overspray

(Sorry - the devil made me do it.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks

"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

rm -f --nomelt --nodistort overspray

(Sorry - the devil made me do it.)

oh yeah a COMMAND LINE solution... Why didnt I think of that??

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses? Square Peg Home Repair 86 September 19th 08 05:49 AM
Electronic cleaning spray. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 16 May 22nd 08 08:17 PM
spray gun cleaning todd Woodworking 10 July 6th 06 03:35 PM
Emergency "Reading Glasses" Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 15 May 30th 05 08:38 AM
a-HA, found 'em .. safety reading glasses Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 January 7th 05 02:23 PM