Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Over-spray on Reading Glasses, ??Cleaning

If you have perscrition lenses, contact the company you got them from
and ask them! All "plastic" lenses are not created equal. or are the
optional coatings that can be applied. Those protective coatings are
continually getting better at everything.
A couple of years ago I got some pretty bad solvent on my one or two
year old glasses and it left the lenses hazy in several areas. It was
a mixture of things including toluene, ketone, etc, etc. The company I
get my glasses from said that shouldn't have been a problem and replaced
the $400 lenses for free!
I have no idea how $10 drug store lenses might respond. I wish
that's all I needed. I'd buy a new pair once a month.

Several years ago the was a TV commercial that offered a simple to apply
coating for damaged lenses; you know the old "$19.95" type of deal. I
had some scratched lenses at the time so I tried it. It worked pretty
well, but I did something else to the lenses that caused the coating
itself to go bad in a couple of spots and I couldn't clean them up, so I
gave up on the product.
Two or three years LATER I get a call from that coating mfr, asking
how I liked their product and did I want to order more. I told them
how things went to H***. They told me that all I had to do was to use
the pre-coating lense cleaner that came with the kit and that would have
taken the first coating off. Then I could have re-coated.
---Too late now, but it could have worked!

Pete Stanaitis

evodawg wrote:
What do you guys use to get over-spray off Plastic Reading Glasses?
Concerned if I use something to powerful it could melt the plastic or
distort it.

thanks