Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PC 7518 Router Speed Hunting

Somewhere in excess of 99.9% of the time my PC 7518 router speed
control stays on #5. However, I'm getting into something that needs to
run at a much slower speed. But, I find, at the low speed setting, the
speed is anything but constant. It appears to be hunting for the set
speed; speeding up to near maximum, slowing to very slow and repeating
the cycle for longer than I care to sit and watch.

Disassembled and cleaned the area of the switch and circuit board,
although they were fairly clean already. My router table has pretty
good dust collection and keeps the router enclosure quite free of dust
and chips. The cleaning didn't seem to have any significant effect.
Don't recall exactly when I got the router, but it's several years
old.

If anyone else has had this problem with the PC 7518 and found a
definitive and semi-permanent solution I'd sure like to hear about it
before I throw US$100+ for a new speed control board down the rathole.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote in message
news
[...]

I have heard other complaints about this situation with others with PC
routers. IIRC the answer they received from PC was that a fluctuating speed
is "normal" until you apply a load. The degree of "normal" may be out of
range on yours. Because this is apparently a situation where you may not be
able to eliminate all fluctuation you might want to consider putting that
$100 into a different brand.

Router Speed? HerHusband Woodworking 3 February 12th 07 01:36 AM
Router speed SBH Woodworking 5 November 12th 06 02:41 PM
Porter cable 7518 Router sdppm Woodworking 11 March 17th 06 11:34 PM
PC 7518 / router table CNT Woodworking 13 March 2nd 05 01:28 PM
Porter Cable 7518 Router- Brand New - Just Died Scott Willett Woodworking 9 February 27th 05 05:04 PM