Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

Default Router speed

Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"SBH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

The general rule is the smaller the bit, the higher the speed. Your problem
was most likely taking too deep of a cut with such a small bit. Three or
four passes would be more reasonable.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

The smaller the diameter of the bit, the faster you have to spin it. The
wider the bit the faster the carbide is spinning at the edge therefore the
slower in needs to turn. For a 1/4" bit you want to spin it at the fastest
setting.

It could be that you were routing out too much wood at one time. Take more
passes with less depth of cut.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

See the article written by the late Patrick Spielman listed below. Note
the section under "Don't try to cut too much!".

http://www.jesada.com/instructions/spielman_router.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

There is a lot more to it than speed. In the case of a 1/4" bit, run it at
full speed. Slotting, or cutting the full diameter, is the hardest cut you
can do with a router bit. General rule of thumb for cutting depth is 1 to
1.5 diameters deep. This means 1/4 to 3/8 deep per pass and feed no faster
than chips will clear the cut. Chips packing in the cut will load up the
cutter.

"SBH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a general guide to determine what router speed is best for
different types of wood or using different bits? Or is it trial and
error?

I was using a brand new Rockler carbide 1/4" x 1" w/ 1/2 shank to cut
slots all the way through a 3/4" thick select pine and after about 12
cuts the bit broke. The good news is, I received a new one from Rockler
at no charge. I was experimenting with different speeds and haven't
really noticed a difference with higher speeds or lower. But the bit
broke at a lower speed. Therefore, I don't know if this was the cause
of the break or did I just have a faulty bit.

Thanks for any help

Typically on bits up to 1" in diameter it is safe to run the router wide
open. But like every one has pointed out, take shallower and multiple
passes. 1/4" is about as much as you want to remove at one time.