Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default PC 7518 Router Speed Hunting

Somewhere in excess of 99.9% of the time my PC 7518 router speed
control stays on #5. However, I'm getting into something that needs to
run at a much slower speed. But, I find, at the low speed setting, the
speed is anything but constant. It appears to be hunting for the set
speed; speeding up to near maximum, slowing to very slow and repeating
the cycle for longer than I care to sit and watch.

Disassembled and cleaned the area of the switch and circuit board,
although they were fairly clean already. My router table has pretty
good dust collection and keeps the router enclosure quite free of dust
and chips. The cleaning didn't seem to have any significant effect.
Don't recall exactly when I got the router, but it's several years
old.

If anyone else has had this problem with the PC 7518 and found a
definitive and semi-permanent solution I'd sure like to hear about it
before I throw US$100+ for a new speed control board down the rathole.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA