Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JOAT?

Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch with
him? Is his website still up?

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in
news

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in
touch with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do
with it.

It was the spam flood from several months ago that got most people. If
you didn't have filtering ability, the wRECk was horrible to read. Even
with filtering, it took a few weeks to catch 90% of the spam.

The politics always comes and goes, especially this time of year.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:20:20 +0000, Lowell Holmes wrote:

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

IIRC,, JOAT was on WebTV?
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think you should try emailing him.

Maybe you can get a whole group of folks to email him asking him to
come back. I am sure that an old guy like him would enjoy getting a
few letters

;-)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:48:26 -0400, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote:

Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch with
him? Is his website still up?

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?

B.

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

Unless it has changed, JOAT was using Web TV Internet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch with
him? Is his website still up?

B.

I'm pretty sure that Theo is a few years younger than I am. He never
did welcome email that didn't have a specific and sensible purpose,
though I guess finding out if he's still kicking might be considered
specific and sensible enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

Unless it has changed, JOAT was using Web TV Internet.

Maybe coincidentally, it seemed like he stopped posting at the beginning of
that long Asian forsale flood. Not being familiar with Web TV's
capabilities, I have to question whether it's capable of filtering content
and that might have been what precipitated JOAT's absence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

He is alive and well. we talked a few days ago VIA a website. he said
life is basically good! LOL I think he got tired of the spam and
political crap here. I am too and may disapear soon also. he can not
filter web tv. its a shame we cant keep this group ON topic. I dont
mind OFF topic stuff but here lately I get hundreds of headers a day
and after filtering I have less than half! and 80% of whats left is
OFF TOPIC. well go ahead start the flames. I tuned in several years
ago and can tune out anytime so..... how many good folks are we gonna
loose before we learn?

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:06:31 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"skeez" wrote in message
mind OFF topic stuff but here lately I get hundreds of headers a day
and after filtering I have less than half! and 80% of whats left is
OFF TOPIC.

I think it was about 6 words or so that were suggested at the time, but it
was good enough to reduce the spam flood from a hundred a day down to two or
three spamcraps, if that. Which group of spam is it that's plaguing you?
I'll go through my filters and find those key words for you.

I've got the spam pretty much covered. I filter be author ,words and
google ect. I could add OT to the list but I DO enjoy some of the OT
posts. I dont respond to them but I do read some so I dont want to do
that. sometimes I get headers and it says its getting up to [just for
example] 1200 headers and after it filters out what I want it to I get
maybe 60-70 posts. thats fine. out of the 60-70 I might get 10-15
woodworking related posts! thats where the problem is lately. I
understand it's an election year and politics is a hot topic but it
realy doesnt belong here. All it does is flare tempers and causes
degradation of the group. The nuggets of usefull stuff are getting
harder to find. I also find when someone tries to help someone else in
comes the flamers bitching about spelling,grammer,legalities
ect..ect..ect... ad nauseum. then it turnes into a spitting contest.
Soon the nuggets are ,lost in the bull****. thanks for the offer of
help. BTW I like the picnic table! you aint gotta worry but it being
blown away in the wind! It looks rock solid.

skeez

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 12, 7:55*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups..

Unless it has changed, JOAT was using Web TV Internet.

Maybe coincidentally, it seemed like he stopped posting at the beginning of
that long Asian forsale flood. Not being familiar with Web TV's
capabilities, I have to question whether it's capable of filtering content
and that might have been what precipitated JOAT's absence.

It damned near did me in, using Google, until Foxmire decided to wor
with some bits others here recommended. Now, I see an average of three
or four posts per ten post page.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"skeez" wrote in message
google ect. I could add OT to the list but I DO enjoy some of the OT
posts.

Sure, a good portion of the OT stuff is what makes this area the family it
is. Yeah I know, your election is a good portion of the current conversation
and many are not really interested in it, but it will be gone soon enough to
be replaced by something else, maybe a little more interesting or on topic.

help. BTW I like the picnic table! you aint gotta worry but it being
blown away in the wind! It looks rock solid.

Appreciate that. This is the first time I've used bench bolts because I
wanted the table to be easily dismantled for winter storage. It also made
for easy transportation to the friend's house. I was really surprised at how
sturdy the table was when putting it together even with just one stretcher
assembled. Guess I shouldn't have been so surprised since the bolts *are*
designed for heavy bench construction.

I'm off on Sunday for a barbeque where the table will be properly
christened. Might be one of the last barbeques for the season. Let me tell
you, it stinks living in an apartment and not having easy access to an
outdoor grill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 1:00 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

IIRC,, JOAT was on WebTV?

Yeah - he was a WebTV'er, but he was gone long before the isp's dropped
newsfeeds.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"skeez" wrote in message
He is alive and well. we talked a few days ago VIA a website. he said
life is basically good! LOL I think he got tired of the spam and
political crap here. I am too and may disapear soon also. he can not
filter web tv. its a shame we cant keep this group ON topic. I dont
mind OFF topic stuff but here lately I get hundreds of headers a day
and after filtering I have less than half! and 80% of whats left is
OFF TOPIC. well go ahead start the flames. I tuned in several years
ago and can tune out anytime so..... how many good folks are we gonna
loose before we learn?

skeez

Learn what? All of life is full of things we don't care about, wish weren't
there, annoy us, please us, etc. Maybe we should learn that we simply can't
make a perfect environment that everybody is in complete agreement is
perfect.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch with
him? Is his website still up?

B.

I'm pretty sure that Theo is a few years younger than I am. He never
did welcome email that didn't have a specific and sensible purpose,
though I guess finding out if he's still kicking might be considered
specific and sensible enough.

Didn't miss the smiley did ya Charlie?

I think JOAT was always quite gracious about unsolicited emails,
especially if it was to ask him if he had some plans for a (insert
item here)...

:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noons" wrote in message
Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:
Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch
with him? Is his website still up?
B.
a lot of the old gang have gone awol...
I wonder why?
Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

Unless it has changed, JOAT was using Web TV Internet.

Hi everyone, been a while. Good to read JOAT is still around, sort of.

I think a few of us wandered off because of the potty mouths and the
political BS that grew out of control. Plus some of the oldtimers
disappeared. Do you still hear from Keeter, Paddy and Luigi? I see a
number of the old regulars and a few new faces.

cheers

Groggy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noons" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome back. Good to have some old faces around. Haven't heard from
Keeter in a long time, he did hang around OWWM. JOAT came by a few
months ago as did Paddy (new shellac business). Luigi signed in
recently. Jummy wanders in when he doesn't have a paying gig.

As to the political crap, that still happens. Unfortunately we have a
few that contribute nothing to woodworking but like to discharge a large
measure of blather to demonstrate their intelligence.

Anyway, stick around. We need all the help we can get.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:12:47 -0700, jo4hn wrote:

Groggy wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:00 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Is someone posting under my name or am I getting absent-minded? I'd
swear I never posted anything regarding JOAT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

om...

Groggy wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:00 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Is someone posting under my name or am I getting absent-minded? I'd
swear I never posted anything regarding JOAT.

Larry,

The original post did not show up on my reader, meaning the filter
kicked it out. Your post came thru fine. I would guess that either
someone is posting under your name or you're using two accounts to post
from (like an anonymous remailer) and my filters kicked it.

Bob S

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
om:

Is someone posting under my name or am I getting absent-minded? I'd
swear I never posted anything regarding JOAT.

Some of the posts in the thread date back to Winter 2008. It could be you
simply forgot that you posted something in the thread. Happens to me every
once in a while... I'll be reading an archived post and say "That sounds
familiar" or "That's my style" and look up at the author line.

We really ought to send JOAT an email... :-)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:32:59 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote in

Is someone posting under my name or am I getting absent-minded? I'd
swear I never posted anything regarding JOAT.

Some of the posts in the thread date back to Winter 2008. It could be
you simply forgot that you posted something in the thread.

You're right - I looked it up via Google - it was September of 2008.

Some people just can't let a thread die :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

You're right - I looked it up via Google - it was September of 2008.

Some people just can't let a thread die :-).

I'm going to recycle it again too Larry, maybe next year, maybe the year
after. By then you will be convinced you have a doppleganger

(OT) Ping J T (a.k.a. JOAT) Glenna Rose Woodworking 5 January 30th 05 09:18 PM
to JOAT Vic Baron Woodworking 5 January 6th 05 12:45 PM
Ping to JOAT Jack the Breeder Woodworking 3 October 20th 03 01:48 PM
What happened to JOAT ? ? ? The Sperminator Woodworking 0 October 5th 03 07:43 PM
JOAT Polytone Woodworking 13 August 2nd 03 06:16 PM