Posted to rec.woodworking
DAC DAC is offline

Default Who makes custom router bits?

I have a profile of a piece that I picked up at the local BORG...it
was jammed in a close out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per
foot. Nothing with regards to its source. I scanned a profile, and
made a CAD drawing of it.. The problem I'm having is locating someone
to make a carbide bit, other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company
(no reply). I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss
my way that I could contact.

TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 10:02*am, DAC wrote:
I have a profile of a piece that I picked up at the local BORG...it
was jammed in a close out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per
foot. *Nothing with regards to its source. *I scanned a profile, and
made a CAD drawing of it.. *The problem I'm having is locating someone
to make a carbide bit, other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company
(no reply). *I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss
my way that I could contact.

TIA

Valley Machine Knife - Springfield Mass
Posted to rec.woodworking

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Aug 29, 10:02 am, DAC wrote:
I have a profile of a piece that I picked up at the local BORG...it
was jammed in a close out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per
foot. Nothing with regards to its source. I scanned a profile, and
made a CAD drawing of it.. The problem I'm having is locating someone
to make a carbide bit, other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company
(no reply). I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss
my way that I could contact.

TIA

Valley Machine Knife - Springfield Mass

Check with Pat Warner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT), DAC
wrote:

I have a profile of a piece that I picked up at the local BORG...it
was jammed in a close out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per
foot. Nothing with regards to its source. I scanned a profile, and
made a CAD drawing of it.. The problem I'm having is locating someone
to make a carbide bit, other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company
(no reply). I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss
my way that I could contact.

TIA

You can create most any profile with a few basic router shapes, plus
you can build up several pieces. I made a 11" crown molding from 7
layers of wood--a lot cheaper than having one large custom bit (that
could get damaged or could damage you).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 10:02*am, DAC wrote:
I have a profile of a piece that I picked up at the local BORG...it
was jammed in a close out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per
foot. *Nothing with regards to its source. *I scanned a profile, and
made a CAD drawing of it.. *The problem I'm having is locating someone
to make a carbide bit, other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company
(no reply). *I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss
my way that I could contact.

I can't help you with the custom bit, but I'm curious what is so
special about a Borg profile? Around here Dykes Lumber has a catalog
of profiles and even competing yards refer to the Dykes catalog
numbers. The catalog is online.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DAC DAC is offline

I can't help you with the custom bit, but I'm curious what is so
special about a Borg profile? *Around here Dykes Lumber has a catalog
of profiles and even competing yards refer to the Dykes catalog
numbers. *The catalog is online.

I checked the Dykes catalog and didn't see anything close. I did
finally get back a couple of quotes for bits...one was $225 for one
around $300 for two, another place was almost $400 each. Went to a
local "real yard" that has a boat load of trim, and they had something
similar but not quite what we're looking for at $3 per ft, so that
would get it up to about $1200 just for the base cap...it's making the
router bit look cheap. I can only guess too that it's stock...but
finding the supplier, that's another challenge.

What's so special about the profile...well that's just it...the
profile. You know how when you look and look and freak'n look for
something that will work, has the right shape and feel? You know what
you want when you see it, well that's this profile. Further....when
the SWMBO likes it...well that's pretty much a no brainer.

Keep'n on look'n......

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DAC" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe one of those computer carving machines?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you tried multi-form bits?
Craftsman (and others, I'm sure) makes a set of profile cutters that
mount on your table saw...by changing the cutters, depth, and angle on
the saw, you can make just about any profile you want. Would want to
use a tenoning jig if you're doing an edge profile (sorry, missed part
of the thread, not sure if you're doing crown moulding or what).
John

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:23:04 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"DAC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
DAC DAC is offline

On Oct 29, 12:51*pm, John Huesman wrote:
Have you tried multi-form bits?
Craftsman (and others, I'm sure) makes a set of profile cutters that
mount on your table saw...by changing the cutters, depth, and angle on
the saw, you can make just about any profile you want. Would want to
use a tenoning jig if you're doing an edge profile (sorry, missed part
of the thread, not sure if you're doing crown moulding or what).
John

I have not...but that's not a bad idea...the profile isn't too
difficult....and most can be hogged out with a table saw...it's just
like everything...it's the details that count. Thanks for the idea...