Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wobble vs stackable dado - howto

I have inherited (literally) some tools after a friend. Included is a
stackable dado (Craftsman) and a wobble dial-a-dado (Rockwell). However, I
have no instructions for their use, and therefore could someone help me with
them. The wobble dado seems rather simple to use: I dial the width, and this
is it. Is this as simple as that? The stackable is a bit of a problem. There
are two side blades, and a set of chippers, one of which is half the width.
I understand, that I need to stack the required width. This allows widths
with a step size of the narrow chipper. However, the blades and the chippers
are thinner around the arbor hole than on the perimeter. Between the
chippers there is no problem, I can alternate their mounting position so
that the edges do not contact. What about the outer blades? Indeed, they do
have openings on their perimeter where I can fit the adjacent chipper edges.
Is this the proper way to stack and use them? Or do I always need spacers.
Could someone with above-the-average patience explain to me the use of my
dados :-)
Thanks,
Maciej

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Maciej wrote:
are thinner around the arbor hole than on the perimeter. Between the
chippers there is no problem, I can alternate their mounting position so
that the edges do not contact. What about the outer blades? Indeed, they do
have openings on their perimeter where I can fit the adjacent chipper edges.
Is this the proper way to stack and use them? ...

Nothing else to explain except position the chippers around as evenly as
possible.

There should be a set of cardboard shims w/ the stacking set as well to
make up/adjust precise width. If they're not w/ the set, you can easily
make anything required for a particular application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maciej" wrote in message
I have inherited (literally) some tools after a friend. Included is a
stackable dado (Craftsman) and a wobble dial-a-dado (Rockwell). However, I
have no instructions for their use, and therefore could someone help me

with
them. The wobble dado seems rather simple to use: I dial the width, and

this
is it. Is this as simple as that?

Yup, stackables are generally considered to be the better quality blade.
Wobbles dont cut the sides of the dado exactly square to the bottom and the
bottom will have a very subtle arc.

The stackable is a bit of a problem. There
are two side blades, and a set of chippers, one of which is half the

width.
I understand, that I need to stack the required width. This allows widths
with a step size of the narrow chipper. However, the blades and the

chippers
are thinner around the arbor hole than on the perimeter. Between the
chippers there is no problem, I can alternate their mounting position so
that the edges do not contact.

Yup, that's how they go together.

What about the outer blades? Indeed, they do
have openings on their perimeter where I can fit the adjacent chipper

edges.
Is this the proper way to stack and use them?

Always use the outer blades; chippers are optional. The outer blades also
have an inside and an outside. On my freud set the writing on the blade goes
on the outside; YMMV. The outer blades will have scew-ground teeth; the
accute edge goes on the outside.

Or do I always need spacers.
Could someone with above-the-average patience explain to me the use of my
dados :-)
Thanks,
Maciej

You are on the right track and asking in the correct place.

Good luck,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & S" wrote:

"Maciej" wrote in message
I have inherited (literally) some tools after a friend. Included is a
stackable dado (Craftsman) and a wobble dial-a-dado (Rockwell). However, I
have no instructions for their use, and therefore could someone help me

with
them. The wobble dado seems rather simple to use: I dial the width, and

this
is it. Is this as simple as that?

Yup, stackables are generally considered to be the better quality blade.
Wobbles dont cut the sides of the dado exactly square to the bottom and the
bottom will have a very subtle arc.

I also find wobblers harder to align with the intended cut. I have to
match the widest part of the blade to the cut marks, which is not
always accurate, so I resort to turning the saw on and making
ever-so-slight tentative cuts until I'm on the mark.

Stackables are the same width around the circumference, I just need
align the blade to the cut marks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maciej" wrote in message
[...]

On stacked dado sets, almost always there is an left and right outer side
set of blades. Basically only 1 side of each of the outer blades is
designed to be on the chipper side of the stack.

Wobble dado blades require you to dial in the basic setting as you have
observed however you will have to tweak that setting to your actual board
thickness. Make test cuts and trial fits with actual material being used!
Loosening the arbor nut and making that fine tune adjustment can be
troublesome. Wobble dado sets will also leave the bottom of the dado with a
curved/nonflat bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Maciej" wrote in message
I have inherited (literally) some tools after a friend. Included is a
stackable dado (Craftsman) and a wobble dial-a-dado (Rockwell). However, I
have no instructions for their use, and therefore could someone help me
with them. The wobble dado seems rather simple to use: I dial the width,
and this is it. Is this as simple as that? The stackable is a bit of a
problem.

snip

I find the wobble dado blades to be terrifying to use at the wider widths,
especially on a radial arm saw. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I only have the wobble blade, had it since the 80's and it doesn't have a lot of
hours on it.. :-[

I find that it's good enough for my type of projects, especially at narrower
settings..
As others have pointed out, wider dados tend to have a cupped bottom, but I
seldom have a problem with it.. The few times when the bottom of a dado was
going to show anywhere, I was doing a 3/4" dado and just did two 3/8 cuts.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 24, 1:50*pm, "C & S" wrote:
"Maciej" wrote in message

Yup, stackables are generally considered to be the better quality blade.
Wobbles dont cut the sides of the dado exactly square to the bottom and the
bottom will have a very subtle arc.

Good luck,

Steve

You're right about the stacked dado blades being the better quality,
and the wobble cutters producing a concave bottom. Wrong about the
sides of the cut, though - even the wobble blades give cuts with
parallel sides that are square to the bottom.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 1:50 pm, "C & S" wrote:
"Maciej" wrote in message

Yup, stackables are generally considered to be the better quality blade.
Wobbles dont cut the sides of the dado exactly square to the bottom and
the
bottom will have a very subtle arc.

Good luck,

Steve

You're right about the stacked dado blades being the better quality,
and the wobble cutters producing a concave bottom. Wrong about the
sides of the cut, though - even the wobble blades give cuts with
parallel sides that are square to the bottom.

John Martin

You're right about wobble dado's making cuts with parallel sides but the
sides are NOT square to the bottoms. Because the bottoms are not flat the
angle at which the bottoms intersect the sides is not 90 degrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Użytkownik "Leon" napisał w wiadomo¶ci

You're right about the stacked dado blades being the better quality,
and the wobble cutters producing a concave bottom. Wrong about the
sides of the cut, though - even the wobble blades give cuts with
parallel sides that are square to the bottom.

John Martin

You're right about wobble dado's making cuts with parallel sides but the
sides are NOT square to the bottoms. Because the bottoms are not flat the
angle at which the bottoms intersect the sides is not 90 degrees.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess now it's time for some test cuts.
Maciej

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have 2 very good friends, both woodworkers, both with fingers, or parts
of, missing thanks to the wobble dado, I would make a clock out of it and
hang it on the wall, and stick with the stack dado.

Just my opinion.

Joe
"Maciej" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 1:52 pm, "JOE MOHNIKE" wrote:

I have 2 very good friends, both woodworkers, both with fingers, or parts
of, missing thanks to the wobble dado, I would make a clock out of it and
hang it on the wall, and stick with the stack dado.

Just my opinion.

I believe it. I got a chuckle out of reading this thread when it
started.

I got a wobbler in the late 70s, put it on my radial saw and promptly
crapped in my pants when I turned it on.

Old wobbly was too big for the guard, so Sears advised the way to use
their wobbler on their radial saw was to remove the guard.

I remember thinking.... "you have got to be f'ing kidding me..."

I was scared to death of that thing.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

On Aug 26, 1:52 pm, "JOE MOHNIKE" wrote:

I have 2 very good friends, both woodworkers, both with fingers, or parts
of, missing thanks to the wobble dado, I would make a clock out of it and
hang it on the wall, and stick with the stack dado.

Just my opinion.

I believe it. I got a chuckle out of reading this thread when it
started.

I got a wobbler in the late 70s, put it on my radial saw and promptly
crapped in my pants when I turned it on.

Old wobbly was too big for the guard, so Sears advised the way to use
their wobbler on their radial saw was to remove the guard.

My vintage '69 RAS has an extra-wide dado guard accessory. It
accomodates wobble blades, stacked blades, and a molding head.

Molding head, now there's a scary attachment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote

Molding head, now there's a scary attachment.

Now that brings back memories.

I picked up some blades and saw acessories at a garage sale for cheap. It
was a box of stuff for a good price. I figured I would pick thorough it and
throw out what I did not want.

I pulled out this molding head with some kinda big cutter in it. A friend
was looking over my shoulder and made the remark that it looked like big
teeth that could eat me up. I felt a chill go up my spine. I put it on the
shelf and never used it for over 20 years. Then I threw it away.

I guess that image of it eating me never went away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote

Molding head, now there's a scary attachment.

Now that brings back memories.

I picked up some blades and saw acessories at a garage sale for cheap. It
was a box of stuff for a good price. I figured I would pick thorough it and
throw out what I did not want.

I pulled out this molding head with some kinda big cutter in it. A friend
was looking over my shoulder and made the remark that it looked like big
teeth that could eat me up. I felt a chill go up my spine. I put it on the
shelf and never used it for over 20 years. Then I threw it away.

I guess that image of it eating me never went away.

I used mine quite a bit back in the 70s, though I always had a mental
image of one of the blades coming loose and giving me a sucking chest
wound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:50:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I got a wobbler in the late 70s, put it on my radial saw and promptly
crapped in my pants when I turned it on.

Old wobbly was too big for the guard, so Sears advised the way to use
their wobbler on their radial saw was to remove the guard.

I remember thinking.... "you have got to be f'ing kidding me..."

I was scared to death of that thing.

Robert

I've been using one for years, first on the Shopsmith and now on a "real" TS,
but never even considered putting it on the RAS.. [ shudder ]

I'm comfortable with it on the TS, but I use a "close to zero" insert and
hold-downs, and keep my hands WAY out of the blade/kickback area..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:36:21 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote

Molding head, now there's a scary attachment.

Now that brings back memories.

I picked up some blades and saw acessories at a garage sale for cheap. It
was a box of stuff for a good price. I figured I would pick thorough it and
throw out what I did not want.

I pulled out this molding head with some kinda big cutter in it. A friend
was looking over my shoulder and made the remark that it looked like big
teeth that could eat me up. I felt a chill go up my spine. I put it on the
shelf and never used it for over 20 years. Then I threw it away.

I guess that image of it eating me never went away.

I'd love to find a used one now, with a good assortment of cutters...
I'd throw away the head and use the cutters on the lathe...
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/bead_scraper.jpg

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

I'd love to find a used one now, with a good assortment of cutters...
I'd throw away the head and use the cutters on the lathe...
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/bead_scraper.jpg

Maybe you could visit your homeland occasionally and go to some garage
sales...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'd love to find a used one now, with a good assortment of cutters...
I'd throw away the head and use the cutters on the lathe...
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/bead_scraper.jpg

I have an unused head with cutters somewhere around here that you can have
Mac and I can mail it to you. I bought it new some twenty years ago and
never used it. If I remember correctly, I only bought two or three sets of
cutters, but the sets and the head are yours if you want them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:08:04 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

I'd love to find a used one now, with a good assortment of cutters...
I'd throw away the head and use the cutters on the lathe...
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/bead_scraper.jpg

Maybe you could visit your homeland occasionally and go to some garage
sales...

What's a garage, Lee? ;-]

I actually went to Yuma today...
I applied for OFM (Ol' Farts Money) today!!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:18:59 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'd love to find a used one now, with a good assortment of cutters...
I'd throw away the head and use the cutters on the lathe...
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/bead_scraper.jpg

I have an unused head with cutters somewhere around here that you can have
Mac and I can mail it to you. I bought it new some twenty years ago and
never used it. If I remember correctly, I only bought two or three sets of
cutters, but the sets and the head are yours if you want them.

Cool.. that would be great...
email me and I'll give ya my mailing address and arrange to pay postage..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote:

I actually went to Yuma today...
I applied for OFM (Ol' Farts Money) today!!!

mac

Enjoy!

Got my first helping of OFM yesterday... :-)

Matt in Phoenix...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:54:34 -0700, "Matt Furze" wrote:

I applied for OFM (Ol' Farts Money) today!!!

mac

Enjoy!

Got my first helping of OFM yesterday... :-)

Matt in Phoenix...

Cool.. My first check is supposed to be deposited in December...

When we applied, I told the lady that I never expected to live long enough to
collect it..
She said that most of the males of the baby boomer/Vietnam era say that..