Posted to rec.woodworking
C & S C & S is offline

Default Wobble vs stackable dado - howto

"Maciej" wrote in message
I have inherited (literally) some tools after a friend. Included is a
stackable dado (Craftsman) and a wobble dial-a-dado (Rockwell). However, I
have no instructions for their use, and therefore could someone help me

with
them. The wobble dado seems rather simple to use: I dial the width, and

this
is it. Is this as simple as that?

Yup, stackables are generally considered to be the better quality blade.
Wobbles dont cut the sides of the dado exactly square to the bottom and the
bottom will have a very subtle arc.

The stackable is a bit of a problem. There
are two side blades, and a set of chippers, one of which is half the

width.
I understand, that I need to stack the required width. This allows widths
with a step size of the narrow chipper. However, the blades and the

chippers
are thinner around the arbor hole than on the perimeter. Between the
chippers there is no problem, I can alternate their mounting position so
that the edges do not contact.

Yup, that's how they go together.

What about the outer blades? Indeed, they do
have openings on their perimeter where I can fit the adjacent chipper

edges.
Is this the proper way to stack and use them?

Always use the outer blades; chippers are optional. The outer blades also
have an inside and an outside. On my freud set the writing on the blade goes
on the outside; YMMV. The outer blades will have scew-ground teeth; the
accute edge goes on the outside.

Or do I always need spacers.
Could someone with above-the-average patience explain to me the use of my
dados :-)
Thanks,
Maciej

You are on the right track and asking in the correct place.

Good luck,

Steve