Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large, Long Holes in Wood...

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I don't know what the application is but wouldn't it be easier to rip
it on a bandsaw mill, core box bit the insides and glue it back
together?

That is what we said... But I guess they need it in one piece for some
reason. All I could picture was high end sail masts for sailboats with an
aluminum mast hidden inside... And customers who were too picky to accept a
"split down the middle" wood look...

....But God only knows what they will actually be using the wood "tubes" for
after they are done...

I'd want to have some idea what the wood tube is being used for. If no
explanation is forthcoming, it might be for smuggling . . .

It would explain the requirement for boring it without splitting.
Presumably the end will be plugged with a plug cut from a slice taken
off before boring commenced to match the rings. For it to be worthwile,
the payload must be high value so probably drugs or worse. If you think
I'm being paranoid, read
http://ec.europa.eu/anti_fraud/budge...04/finland.pdf
(cigarette smuggling in Finland using hollow spuce logs)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:27:01 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

That is what we said... But I guess they need it in one piece for some
reason. All I could picture was high end sail masts for sailboats with an
aluminum mast hidden inside... And customers who were too picky to accept a
"split down the middle" wood look...

It is difficult for me to accept the premise that this much effort
would go into a mast for a Sunfish, which is about as big a craft that
could be serviced by a 12' max mast.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:43:51 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

It is difficult for me to accept the premise that this much effort
would go into a mast for a Sunfish, which is about as big a craft that
could be serviced by a 12' max mast.

Please do not write to me to tell me that it could be for a larger
class of boat.

Accept the hyperbole for what it is.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Tubes for uranium enrichment centrifuges?

More likely for mortar tubes that can be smuggled aboard airliners
without attracting TSA attention...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd want to have some idea what the wood tube is being used for. If no
explanation is forthcoming, it might be for smuggling . . .

Customer is in Hawaii... Could be smuggling, but I'm guessing that anything
they would want to smuggle out of Hawaii could be sold in Hawaii direct.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is difficult for me to accept the premise that this much effort
would go into a mast for a Sunfish, which is about as big a craft that
could be serviced by a 12' max mast.

Please do not write to me to tell me that it could be for a larger
class of boat.

Accept the hyperbole for what it is.

I think it's for a windsurfer then... How's that?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'd want to have some idea what the wood tube is being used for. If no
explanation is forthcoming, it might be for smuggling . . .

Customer is in Hawaii... Could be smuggling, but I'm guessing that anything
they would want to smuggle out of Hawaii could be sold in Hawaii direct.

I vote for organ pipes, but the walls seem awful thick...

Spott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Spott" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'd want to have some idea what the wood tube is being used for. If no
explanation is forthcoming, it might be for smuggling . . .

Customer is in Hawaii... Could be smuggling, but I'm guessing that
anything they would want to smuggle out of Hawaii could be sold in Hawaii
direct.

I vote for organ pipes, but the walls seem awful thick...

As in artery replacement? grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 8:03*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
"Spott" wrote in message

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'd want to have some idea what the wood tube is being used for. *If no
explanation is forthcoming, it might be for smuggling . . .

Customer is in Hawaii... *Could be smuggling, but I'm guessing that
anything they would want to smuggle out of Hawaii could be sold in Hawaii
direct.

I vote for organ pipes, but the walls seem awful thick...

As in artery replacement? *grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.