Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making large[ish] holes in steel - occasionally - how?

What do others here do when they want to make a big[gish] hole in a
lump of steel?

I drill lots of holes in the 2 to 6 mm range, dead easy.

I drill some holes in the 6 to 10 mm range, fairly easy though I could
do with a slower drill.

Then I'm stuck really. OK, up to 12mm 0.5" I can drill a 10mm hole
and then make it bigger by various dodgy means but above that I'm a
definitely stuck.

Recently it would have been very convenient to have been able to make
some 20mm (or thereabouts) holes in some angle but I really couldn't
think of a reasonable way to do it.

None of my drills (corded or cordless) has a chuck which goes beyond
12mm or so and anyway they're too fast. I don't think your standard
'hole saws' (those circular hacksaw things) would get very far in
steel, they're what I use on wood, plasterboard, etc. when I want big
holes.

So are there any reasonably cheap tools for making the occasional
large hole in steel? It doesn't have to be fast, taking several
minutes on one hole doesn't really matter.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think www.axminster.co.uk sell reduced shank drills, but for larger
holes in steel a drill press makes it far more do-able.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:13:46 +0000, tinnews wrote:

[...]

==================================
Blacksmith's drills:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...ith%27s+drills

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you don't like the cost of Blacksmith's drills you can experiment with
an old trick to make a small drill behave like a larger drill. You
re-grind a bit so that the point of the bit is offset to one
side. When you drill a hole with such a modified bit the hole produced
will be larger than the diameter of the drill because it is cutting
eccentrically. It does work but you need to take care with the grinding to
get the correct hole size.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

One of these in a slow pillar drill -
http://www.enuii.com/risley/training...ing_tool_s.jpg
keep your fingers away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
What do others here do when they want to make a big[gish] hole in a
lump of steel?

Electrician's hole saws, which are intended for cutting holes in steel
trucking for fitting conduit. For larger holes I use a fly cutter, but they
do need care.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

wrote in message
What do others here do when they want to make a big[gish] hole in a
lump of steel?

Electrician's hole saws, which are intended for cutting holes in steel
trucking for fitting conduit. For larger holes I use a fly cutter, but
they do need care.

That should read steel trunking and this time I've disabled the spelling
correction.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

Electrician's hole saws, which are intended for cutting holes in steel
trucking for fitting conduit. For larger holes I use a fly cutter, but
they do need care.

That should read steel trunking and this time I've disabled the spelling
correction.

To be fair, they would probably work fine on trucking as well ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

A decent hole saw will cut steel.

If you know someone with a lathe you can have the drill shanks turned down.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
scribeth thus
[...]

A bench drill isn't that expensive these days and with some reduced
shank drills you should be able to do that without much trouble.

What makes a big difference is lubricant, 3 in 1 oil is fine for steel..

I do actually have a bench drill, goes down to 500rpm or so. Maybe I
should invest in some reduced shank drills for it then. In most cases
I should be able to get the workpiece under the drill.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" nightjar@ insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

wrote in message
What do others here do when they want to make a big[gish] hole in a
lump of steel?

Electrician's hole saws, which are intended for cutting holes in steel
trucking for fitting conduit. For larger holes I use a fly cutter, but they
do need care.

Ah, now that looks like a good way to go, not exorbitantly expensive
and will probably be quite OK for the sort of number of holes I want
to cut. Thank you.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 20, 8:13 am, wrote:
What do others here do when they want to make a big[gish] hole in a
lump of steel?

Just pop it in the lathe
http://tinypic.com/11tboec.jpg