Posted to alt.home.repair
Lew

Default Screen door pull, screw holes too large

Both my screen door and its pull are fine except for the fact that, after
many tightenings, the screw holes are too large to hold screws that are
small enough to fit through the pulls mounting plate. Is there any way to
make the holes effectively smaller?
-LS

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Drill out the mounting plate to accept larger screws or if the pull is
wooden glue toothpicks into the holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Lew wrote:
Both my screen door and its pull are fine except for the fact that, after
many tightenings, the screw holes are too large to hold screws that are
small enough to fit through the pulls mounting plate. Is there any way to
make the holes effectively smaller?
-LS

Yes, you can make the holes "effectively smaller" by installing
Heli-Coil thread inserts of the proper size to fit the existing screws
into those "large holes".

But that's a "long run for a short slide" if you have to buy a Heli-Coil
installation kit for just that one-off job.

But, you can make the holes "effectively smaller" by making the screws
larger.

You may be able to find self threading screws which will do the job, and
you might have to drill the holes in mounting plate a bit larger to
clear them. (See your Friendly Hardware Man for selection advice.

Or, maybe you can drill all the way through the door and use longer
screws with nuts on their far ends. Use "acorn nuts" if regular hex nuts
don't look good enough for you.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Plate

Plug the holes.
Basically take the hinges off. Take a drill and bore the holes out so
they are nice and round. (use a small bit) then use the lengths of
rounds wood that they sell at any home center that is a little larger
then the hole you drilled.
Cut of the approprioate length fill the hole with glue, use a mallet to
pop the plug into your hole let it set then you have nice new wood to
screw into.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Mike Plate wrote:

Plug the holes.
Basically take the hinges off. Take a drill and bore the holes out so
they are nice and round. (use a small bit) then use the lengths of
rounds wood that they sell at any home center that is a little larger
then the hole you drilled.
Cut of the approprioate length fill the hole with glue, use a mallet to
pop the plug into your hole let it set then you have nice new wood to
screw into.

Hinges? Where did he say hinges? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
E Gregory

Lew wrote:
Both my screen door and its pull are fine except for the fact that, after
many tightenings, the screw holes are too large to hold screws that are
small enough to fit through the pulls mounting plate. Is there any way to
make the holes effectively smaller?
-LS

If it's a wooden door, this might work. I've used this method for
making screw holes smaller, but not for something that gets such heavy
use as a door pull. Anyway, fill the holes with wood glue and stick as
many wooden toothpicks into the holes as will fit. Allow the wood glue
to dry and cut off the toothpicks flush with the door. Re-install door
pull.
Good luck,
Eileen
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 1 May 2006 13:28:27 -0400, "Lew" wrote:

Both my screen door and its pull are fine except for the fact that, after

Metal door or wooden door?

many tightenings, the screw holes are too large to hold screws that are
small enough to fit through the pulls mounting plate. Is there any way to
make the holes effectively smaller?
-LS

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lew

Hollow aluminum, unfortunately.
"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 May 2006 13:28:27 -0400, "Lew" wrote:

Both my screen door and its pull are fine except for the fact that, after

Metal door or wooden door?

many tightenings, the screw holes are too large to hold screws that are
small enough to fit through the pulls mounting plate. Is there any way to
make the holes effectively smaller?
-LS

Wrong screw dilemma! Helen Mayson UK diy 27 March 30th 06 07:11 PM
Just talking about mains tester screw drivers BigWallop UK diy 13 January 4th 05 08:24 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Used RPTV Screen Replacments? Steve Reinis Electronics Repair 1 July 21st 03 01:20 AM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM