Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hidden hinges on MDF doors

Hi. I am building a very cheap mdf cabinet for our laundry. It will
have 3 doors (720mmHx600mmWx18mm) and we want hidden hinges. To keep
costs down we are thinking of making mdf doors rather than buying
premade wood or particle board doors (diff is about $150!)

My question is: how can we attach hidden hinges to mdf? Is it
possible? The mdf is only 18mm deep, so after boring out the inset
hole in the door will mdf bite the screws enough to attach the hinge?

Will the weight of the door make a difference (720mmH x 600mmW)

I can always bolt the hinge on the inside upstand/support so I am not
too worried about that side of the hinge, but I am worried about the
part that attachs to the door itself.

All help and advice appreciated

AndyC
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 5:27*pm, AC wrote:
Hi. *I am building a very cheap mdf cabinet for our laundry. *It will
have 3 doors (720mmHx600mmWx18mm) and we want hidden hinges. *To keep
costs down we are thinking of making mdf doors rather than buying
premade wood or particle board doors (diff is about $150!)

My question is: how can we attach hidden hinges to mdf? *Is it
possible? *The mdf is only 18mm deep, so after boring out the inset
hole in the door will mdf bite the screws enough to attach the hinge?

Will the weight of the door make a difference (720mmH x 600mmW)

I can always bolt the hinge on the inside upstand/support so I am not
too worried about that side of the hinge, but I am worried about the
part that attachs to the door itself.

All help and advice appreciated

AndyC

Most hinge cups for hidden hinges are approx 12 mm deep. They carry
the load. The screws merely hold the cup in place.
The weight is well within range of a decent Euro hinge. I said a
decent one. Blum or Grass.
The ones to get, are those hinges that come with barbed plugs already
attached to the screws and you bore a (8mm?) hole and pound in the
whole assembly with a hard rubber dead-blow. You have to be pretty
accurate with the hole location.
I wouldn't go near a project like this without a drill press.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you don't want to use the barbed plug method, just mark the location of
the screw hole, then drill a hole 3/8", not a thru hole, then insert a dowel
plug, flush, and screw into that.

Ken

"AC" wrote in message
Hi. I am building a very cheap mdf cabinet for our laundry. It will
have 3 doors (720mmHx600mmWx18mm) and we want hidden hinges. To keep
costs down we are thinking of making mdf doors rather than buying
premade wood or particle board doors (diff is about $150!)

My question is: how can we attach hidden hinges to mdf? Is it
possible? The mdf is only 18mm deep, so after boring out the inset
hole in the door will mdf bite the screws enough to attach the hinge?

Will the weight of the door make a difference (720mmH x 600mmW)

I can always bolt the hinge on the inside upstand/support so I am not
too worried about that side of the hinge, but I am worried about the
part that attachs to the door itself.

All help and advice appreciated

AndyC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 3:33*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 28, 5:27*pm, AC wrote:

[...]

Not even with one of these?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?&page=5878

to the OP,
Prime then sand
prime then sand again
paint

Comes out smooth as painted MDF.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Your measurements are well within the range of European door hinges.
If I figured right you are making a cabinet about 72" long, about 28"
or so high, and that will equate to 3 sections aprox. 24" wide.
The jig from Rockler or others similar will make it a lot easier to
install.
3/4 melamine, mdf or particle board is common for doors, for
commercial
applications and will work fine, You can also get a light weight mdf.
which
sells for about $8.00 a sheet more, I don't know if any of the box
stores sell
this or not, We buy ours from a plywood and plastics dealer, (Plywood
and Plastics)
easy to work with, seems to be stronger than regular mdf and easy to
finish,
we cover ours with laminate.And you can always just use flake
(particle board).
Though that is heavier. Will still work fine,
CC

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

Bi-Fold Doors - hanging on hinges? [email protected] UK diy 6 April 21st 08 08:51 PM
Bi-Fold Doors - hanging on hinges? [email protected] UK diy 1 April 18th 08 06:44 PM
HIDDEN HINGES J T Woodworking 0 January 1st 07 03:23 AM
Hidden Doors Malcolm Webb Woodworking 5 January 26th 05 06:03 PM
Which garage doors use "JGS" hinges? Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 9 November 9th 04 05:15 PM