Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default Hidden hinges on MDF doors

Your measurements are well within the range of European door hinges.
If I figured right you are making a cabinet about 72" long, about 28"
or so high, and that will equate to 3 sections aprox. 24" wide.
The jig from Rockler or others similar will make it a lot easier to
install.
3/4 melamine, mdf or particle board is common for doors, for
commercial
applications and will work fine, You can also get a light weight mdf.
which
sells for about $8.00 a sheet more, I don't know if any of the box
stores sell
this or not, We buy ours from a plywood and plastics dealer, (Plywood
and Plastics)
easy to work with, seems to be stronger than regular mdf and easy to
finish,
we cover ours with laminate.And you can always just use flake
(particle board).
Though that is heavier. Will still work fine,
CC

"AC" wrote in message
Hi. I am building a very cheap mdf cabinet for our laundry. It
will
have 3 doors (720mmHx600mmWx18mm) and we want hidden hinges. To
keep
costs down we are thinking of making mdf doors rather than buying
premade wood or particle board doors (diff is about $150!)

My question is: how can we attach hidden hinges to mdf? Is it
possible? The mdf is only 18mm deep, so after boring out the inset
hole in the door will mdf bite the screws enough to attach the
hinge?

Will the weight of the door make a difference (720mmH x 600mmW)

I can always bolt the hinge on the inside upstand/support so I am
not
too worried about that side of the hinge, but I am worried about the
part that attachs to the door itself.

All help and advice appreciated

AndyC