Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Donkey's-ear shooting board

Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 28, 8:48 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Horse's ass was already taken...? I have no idea why it's called
that. I also have no idea what it is, so I don't feel too bad about
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 28, 8:48 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Which brings up a question I have - isn't it a chuting board? The
plane rides in a chute, right?

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Chute
Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to let fly.] An
inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which timber, coal,
etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow passage, either natural or
artificial, in a stream, where the water rushes rapidly; esp., a
channel, having a swift current, connecting the ends of a bend in the
stream, so as to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.]
[U. S.]

They say right in the definition that it's an inclined plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 28, 8:48 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Which brings up a question I have - isn't it a chuting board? The
plane rides in a chute, right?

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Chute
Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to let fly.] An
inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which timber, coal,
etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow passage, either natural or
artificial, in a stream, where the water rushes rapidly; esp., a
channel, having a swift current, connecting the ends of a bend in the
stream, so as to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.]
[U. S.]

They say right in the definition that it's an inclined plane.

I can't argue with that. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:59:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 28, 8:48 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Horse's ass was already taken...? I have no idea why it's called
that. I also have no idea what it is, so I don't feel too bad about
it.

Likely because of the angle formed between the boards (viewed from the
end). Looks a bit like the ears on a donkey if you use a bit of
imagination.

A shooting board is a jig used for planing - and a donkey's ear
shooting board is used for cleaning up mitered joints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 28, 8:48 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
Why is a donkey's-ear shooting board called a donkey's ear? :-)

Which brings up a question I have - isn't it a chuting board? The
plane rides in a chute, right?

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Chute
Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to let fly.] An
inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which timber, coal,
etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow passage, either natural or
artificial, in a stream, where the water rushes rapidly; esp., a
channel, having a swift current, connecting the ends of a bend in the
stream, so as to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.]
[U. S.]

They say right in the definition that it's an inclined plane.

I can't argue with that. :-)

I can. I believe the inclined plane in that definition refers to one of the
so-called simple machines, and is just a basic ramp with a slope to it,
rather than a woodworking plane.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message

SNIP

I can't argue with that. :-)

I can. I believe the inclined plane in that definition refers to one of
the so-called simple machines, and is just a basic ramp with a slope to
it, rather than a woodworking plane.

B.

This was just a fun post. I still am curious where the name originated.

I did make something similar and with my BU jack plane was able to easily
miter joints on some molding.

Best plane for shooting [email protected] Woodworking 37 August 24th 07 11:53 PM
Shooting Board Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 19th 07 08:06 PM
Shooting Board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 July 18th 06 01:14 AM
OT- Shooting, Distance from road ? RogerN Metalworking 39 January 21st 05 04:39 AM
Question: Shooting board design gregg Woodworking 1 January 19th 05 10:45 PM