Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Routers

Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

Satn -

Try this:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx

For me, it was less than $110 shipped, and has proven to be a very
good machine.

The URL doesn't seem to want to post correctly - you might have to
copy & paste, because a simple click just takes you to the main page -
it's supposed to take you to the sub-page for this particular item - I
dunno why it won't post properly.

-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 2:24 am, wrote:

I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one

As long as you honestly understand that concept....

Sears has a nice beginning router set that is supposed to be a fair
bargain, especially at your price point. The really good thing about
Sears is you can take it back with no squabbles if you don't like it.

If you want a plunger, there are a lot of nice features and reviews on
this one:

http://tinyurl.com/53oq2x

Plunge and standard base kit:

http://tinyurl.com/4ouhhw

A variable speed soft start router with work lights and two different
collets under a $100 (who knew there was such an animal?):

http://tinyurl.com/4h7jfu

I talk with a lot of homeowners that have Craftsman tools, probably
because of the features to pricepoint consideration. None of them
seem unhappy, but none of them are really hard (a few hours daily/2-3
days a week) users.

I think the point of consideration in buying one of these is a two
fold: it might last you a long time depending on how much you use it,
and you might be able to affordably get your feet wet with different
machine features and with practical use of a router.

Don't worry... if you like and buy any of these routers you will be
buying others anyway.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 2:24*am, wrote:
Hi Folks,
* *I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
* *Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
* *I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

I have a porter cable 690 that you can find on sale on reconditioned
for around $100-125
This a great router.
Now be prepared to shell out some bucks for all the different router
bits you will need. If you can but carbide tiped bits.
If you cant afford them be prepared to take very light cuts or you
will burn up the bits.
Have fun and be careful , routers can be dangerous.... also very
nosiy.. Are you going to get a router table also?

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 7:41*am, randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:24*am, wrote:

[...]

go to www.woodcraft.com and sign up for a free catalog and their
emails. At least once a year they sell router bits for $5 each.
Probably not bits that Marks or Warner would use but they work.
www.holbren.com also has low cost bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 1:24*am, wrote:
Hi Folks,
* *I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
* *Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
* *I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

WARNING: It's an Eeevilll plot, a slippery slope. Once you get a
router and find out what it can do, you will invest in a box of bits,
and then find a need for a router table. Then a good clamping
straight edge, and on, and on! But I agree, a single speed, basic,
router will work just fine to get started. Hope this helps.....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed
over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to
sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

I have a shameless inventory of routers and I'm surprised how well some
of the newer Craftsman models perform.
For the price they do very well.
I bought this one several months ago and it has worked flawlessly.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdinep/2524912197/

I paid 79.99 for it and I see where Sears has it now for $84.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917542000P

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/08 3:24 AMJun 25, " wrote:

Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

I recommend the Bosch Colt. It is often sold as a "trim" router because it
is small, but it is very reliable, can be used with most 1/4" shank bits,
and has enough power to do most tasks if you don't try to do to too much in
a single pass. It runs about $25 new in most stores.

See
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...226729-353-PR2
0EVSK&lpage=none

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On Jun 25, 9:21 am, Robert Haar wrote:
On 6/25/08 3:24 AMJun 25, " wrote:

Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

I recommend the Bosch Colt. It is often sold as a "trim" router because it
is small, but it is very reliable, can be used with most 1/4" shank bits,
and has enough power to do most tasks if you don't try to do to too much in
a single pass. It runs about $25 new in most stores.

Seehttp://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=226729-...
0EVSK&lpage=none

you could always stop at a pawn shop and pick up an
older craftsmans for $50.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lou wrote in
:

you could always stop at a pawn shop and pick up an
older craftsmans for $50.

Don't older Craftsman routers have the ARHA (Automatic random height
adjustment) feature? I would think one from a borg would be preferable, if
only to avoid this.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

With the building industry in the dumps(in most areas),
I would start touring the pawn shops.

I would look for almost any Porter Cable router,
with the 690 series being a very nice choice.

You might also run across Dewalt or Hitachi
but steer away from Ryobi or any brand not
ever heard of.

You want a router with the ability to change
collets(all Porter Cable) and you want a 1/2"
collet for the best service.

I would think a decent router can be found
for well under $100 these days.

I would mention Ebay, but that is pot luck
and too many thieves and crooks like that venue.

wrote:
Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Try checking your local craigslist for a used one. Also, some major cities
have Porter Cable retail stores where you can often find reconditioned
router bodies/motors for good prices.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 04:41:19 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:24*am, wrote:
[...]

It appears Amazon has new Porter-Cable 690's for $115 plus shipping
(if you can wait a couple of weeks, shipping is free).
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-6...417181&sr=1-11

But here's a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi kit with fixed base and plunger in your
price range, this looks like a fantastic deal:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Other than the "ugly as hell" factor, that is
a stone cold deal for $59.

Jim Weisgram wrote:

But here's a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi kit with fixed base and plunger in your
price range, this looks like a fantastic deal:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think we are looking at two different routers:

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i310.aspx

and

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i309.aspx

a better deal would be this one:

Jim Weisgram wrote:

But here's a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi kit with fixed base and plunger in your
price range, this looks like a fantastic deal:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

I think this is the first time I've seen the words Sears, router and
nice used in the same sentence.

Sears routers are infamous for their "automatic random depth
adjustment" feature.

It just might be worth your while to stop by Sears next time you're in
the neighborhood. There have been some changes made.
I stopped buying Craftsman (except mechanics tools) in the 70s. But for
the weekend worker or hobbyist there can be some good buys in the newer
merchandise.

I still stop in at Sears more frequently than I'd like to exchange or
have ratchets rebuilt. I'll agree that Sears does have a few decent
tools. The majority of these tools are those made by major tool
manufacturers and relabled with the "Craftsman" logo. I can usually
find those tools under the manufactures brand at a better price.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Nova" wrote in message
Max wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder who makes this one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdinep/2524912197/

One of the reasons I like it is the little dust chute that connects
perfectly to my Ridgid shop vac:
http://tinyurl.com/5mqu54

The only thing I would change on it would be the switch. I like a switch
on the handle ala DeWalt 621.
I use it more than any other router I own which includes
DeWalt 621, 625 and 618. Milwaukee 5625 and 5615, Bosch Colt., 2 ea.
Hitachi M12Vs and an M8V, Porter Cable laminate trimmer,

I think Sears has been trying to improve their Craftsman line.
It might be in vogue to criticize them but it doesn't hurt to recognize
effort.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

Don't older Craftsman routers have the ARHA (Automatic random height
adjustment) feature? I would think one from a borg would be preferable,
if
only to avoid this.

Same thing, maybe. The ones at HD are the same as some of the Craftsman,
made by Ryobi.

I'd stick with the brand names like Bosch, DeWalt, PorterCable, etc. That
way you only buy one good router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, we were. I was going on Jim's original one, but I found the $59
one with your links. Thanks - I wasn't thinking outside the box.

Jason Buckler
Marietta, GA

Jim Weisgram wrote:

But here's a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi kit with fixed base and plunger in your
price range, this looks like a fantastic deal:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
I think this is the first time I've seen the words Sears, router and
nice used in the same sentence.

Sears routers are infamous for their "automatic random depth adjustment"
feature.

Dunno if I got lucky years ago (7 or 8), but I've been using my
craftsman router a lot over the past week. I was afraid of the ARDA,
but so far - knocking on wood) - after about 70 feet of dados (dog gates
with trellis inserts, slots for T-bar in my router table that I never
finished, etc) I've had zero variance on depth.

Then again, it's only 70 feet, and I've been haunting my local
craigslist for a good deal on a PC combo kit.

If this craftsman holds its depth though, I'm just gonna leave it in the
router table. The one thing I don't care for on it is *setting* the
depth - the swirly/spinning guide is... not accurate. Find myself using
a rule instead.

Jason Buckler
Marietta, GA

Posted to rec.woodworking

It looks like the one I got FREE last summer with a Craftsman router table I
bought. Actually I had a choice: 1) The router table for $100, or the
router table and router as a package deal (regular price $130) sale price
$100. So the router was essentially free. It IS a very nice router with
plenty of power for what I do - rout pickup cavities in solid guitar bodies.
It replaced my 25-year-old POS Craftsman router that had a plastic motor
housing - the new one is all machined aluminum, and is much more stable.
The old one had big-time vibration problems. And I agree that dust
collection chute is really nice.

I also have a Craftsman Professional router that came as a combo kit with
fixed and plunge bases. This one is identical except for logos to one made
by Bosch. Excellent router too, a little more power than the free one.

BTW, everything Sears sells in the way of Craftsman power tools is built by
someone else, usually to Sears specifications. If you know the codes, you
can tell who made 'em: the three digits before the decimal point in the
model number indicate who the manufacturer is.

--Steve

"Max" wrote in message

"Nova" wrote in message
Max wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

You can make the NEXT router the heavy duty, high HP variable speed,
plunger, as one router is never enough! G

I have four. And I have a luthier friend who has at least 10.

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stan,

Someone previously described themselves as "shamelessly" owning a stable of
routers. I also fall into that category claiming parenthood of 11 units
(Bosch, Makita, Freud, Craftsman and Porter Cable). But the reconditioned
Hitachi at this site (mentioned in a couple of earlier posts) looks like a
great deal... especially as a starter kit.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i307.aspx

Click on the "details" tab and you'll see that it offers 1/4" and 1/2"
collets, electronic speed control, seven template guides and a centering
gauge. Template guides are a great accessory that you'd probably want to add
soon after you gain a bit of experience... and they already come with this
kit! And at 79.5 db... it's whisper quiet... uhhh, well for a router anyway
(always wear hearing protection!!)

I prefer 1/2" router bits for most work but every now and again you need a
small bit that works best in the 1/4" configuration. So both collet sizes is
almost a necessity. And you're able to buy bits when they're on sale...
regardless of size.

And since pawnshops have been mentioned a couple of times... let me add my 2
cents worth on that subject. I'm a Detective Sergeant with a fairly large
municipal police service in Canada (700,000 pop.) and I'm in charge of our
Pawn Unit. My experience is that most power tools in a pawnshop have been
stolen from a construction site, a manufacturing plant or from a homeowner. I
say MOST 'cuz there are some items that are pawned legitimately by the owner.
My job is to vet everything in our 40 odd pawnshops and determine if the
items originated as the result of a criminal act. If I can't connect the
goods to a crime then I have to consider them to be legit and to be fair game.
No morality judgments here. If you don't buy it, someone else will. My only
caveat is that a beginner should be cautious about plunking down hard earned
cash for a power tool with an unknown history. Experienced users usually can
figure out if the goods are in useable condition and whether buying them
constitutes a deal or not. If a newbie wants to shop for power tools at a
pawnshop... take along a friend who has experience with the type of product
in mind. As they say in court... caveat emptor! (buyer beware)

K.... nuff out'a me! Time to get back to kicking a** and taking names...
(grin)

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone that responded to my question.
But I have one more question. Is a plunger base better than a fixed
base, or visa versa, or does it really matter?
There's two models from Hitachi ( I don't recall the model numbers)
one is $59 and then the other comes with a fixed and plunger base for
$102. I'd like to save forty dollars, but with two bases it seems like I
might have more options to work with.
Also in regards to buying all the other toys that go with a
router,table, templates, etc., yea, those are in the future also.
Take Care,
Antree

Posted to rec.woodworking

I paid 79.99 for it and I see where Sears has it now for $84.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917542000P

Max

I think this is the one that came with my router table:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7541000P?mv=rr

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 8:31 pm, "Max" wrote:

SNIP

I think Sears has been trying to improve their Craftsman line.
It might be in vogue to criticize them but it doesn't hurt to recognize
effort.

Not just in vogue, absolutely stylish. Sometimes it reminds me of
school kids that make fun of something because everyone else is doing
it.

It is sad to see where that once proud name has fallen, but they seem
to be doing better on many fronts now. Most importantly, I think they
supply the weekend warrior of casual user a good value for the money
these days. I like the fact they stand behind their product without
fighting.

I still don't rely on them to make my living, but using my tools every
day I have found just about as crappy quality and short useful as the
worst of the group with any major manufacturer that I have used.

The only major tool maker I have never had a problem with is
Milwaukee. But now, they too have joined the Chiawanese connection of
manufacturing for some of their products, so they may wind up hit and
miss as well.

I would like to see Sears take a little pride in their products and
keep on trying to improve them.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The only major tool maker I have never had a problem with is
Milwaukee. But now, they too have joined the Chiawanese connection of
manufacturing for some of their products, so they may wind up hit and
miss as well.

Funny you mention that. I was considering newer cordless tools from them
since my current 12v Milwaukee cordless drill has done so well for me. That
is, until a dealer I trust told me that Milwaukee was sold overseas. Now I'm
looking very closely at Dewalt instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
But I have one more question. Is a plunger base better than a fixed
base, or visa versa, or does it really matter?

It depends where and how you think you'd be using it. But, consider that a
plunge router for the much greater part will do everything that a fixed base
router can do, but the reverse is not always true.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a Bosch plunge and large PC in my table. I love my mid 80's
Craftsman router with a light to better see my work. I dont know if
any existing routers have lights or how old one would have to be to
have a light.
Posted to rec.woodworking

henry wrote:
I use a Bosch plunge and large PC in my table. I love my mid 80's
Craftsman router with a light to better see my work. I dont know if
any existing routers have lights or how old one would have to be to
have a light.

I like the light also. I just don't have any requirement for variable
depth dadoes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message

The only major tool maker I have never had a problem with is
Milwaukee. But now, they too have joined the Chiawanese connection of
manufacturing for some of their products, so they may wind up hit and
miss as well.

Funny you mention that. I was considering newer cordless tools from them
since my current 12v Milwaukee cordless drill has done so well for me. That
is, until a dealer I trust told me that Milwaukee was sold overseas. Now I'm
looking very closely at Dewalt instead.

I'd take a look at the Makita BHP452HW. My neighbor bought one. Lot's
of torque, light weight, and long lasting batteries with a 15 minute
recharge.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=BHP452HW

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

The kit with two bases is what I recommended. It is the WAY
to get started. You can't beat that price in my opinion.

Buying the router(s) will be the cheapest part of the entire
deal.

You are going to need a few "extra" things to go along with
that.

(1) Table
(2) lift
(3) bits
(4) bits
(5) bits
(6) template guides
(7) bits
(8) "How to" books
(9) bits

You see a trend here ???

Routers [email protected] Woodworking 29 February 1st 08 12:46 AM
2 Hp routers Max Woodworking 9 June 24th 07 06:34 AM
Routers howienineball Woodworking 17 December 2nd 06 02:26 AM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 January 6th 06 04:57 PM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 58 December 30th 05 02:58 PM