Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Routers

Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple computers
into it
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd get at least a 1.5 HP or more if you can, If you are going to use this
router hand held then I'd also suggest getting a Plunge Router, it's much
better for a varity of jobs. A very good mid priced router id the Porter
Cable 690 series, you can get it in a kit with both a fixed and plunge
bases.

Cheers Mike H

http://www.novascotiawoodworkers.ca

wrote in message
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:45*am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

If you need just one router, buy one with some balls. You will need
them at some point.

One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older
models available for a song.

It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those
puppies now and love them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 7:45*am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

Assuming you are interested in pursuing woodworking as a hobby and
this is not just a one-shot project, spend the dollars up front and
get a Porter Cable, Dewalt or Bosch kit with both a plunge base and a
fixed base, 1/2" and 1/4" collets (accepts bits with both 1/2" and
1/4" shank). Stay away from Craftsman, Black & Decker, Skil, Ryobi
and Harbor Freight or anything else that is substantially cheaper than
the name brands in the first group. You will soon have more invested
in bits than you do in your router. Buy only Carbide tipped bits and
stay away from the ones that seem too good a deal to pass up. If you
are just buying a router for one project and don't see any further
need for it, still buy a good one and sell it on Ebay when you are
finished. The good ones bring good prices, but you can't give the
cheap ones away.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him."

Posted to rec.woodworking

pooteo wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I
should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i
also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple
computers
into it

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:45:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

There are many kinds, brands, size, weights and features. You may
want to check out a library book about routers. I'd stay away from
off-brands or "bargain" routers. A 1/2" collet is better than a 1/4"
if you plan on larger projects.
Posted to rec.woodworking
kup kup is offline

On Jan 28, 7:57*am, pooteo wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:

Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple computers
into it

I also like the porter cable router with the two extra bases, I have
it mounted on a homemade table that works just fine.
I also bought a 3.5 hp variable speed router on ebay for about $70.00
which I plan to mount to the other end of my table for heavier
cutting.
Good Luch Johnny!
Posted to rec.woodworking

depends a bit on use..

for handheld.. 3hp mostly to keep down the size and weight

for a table.. hard to beat the Triton 3.25hp..

wrote in message
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:

Assuming you are interested in pursuing woodworking as a hobby and
this is not just a one-shot project, spend the dollars up front and
get a Porter Cable, Dewalt or Bosch kit with both a plunge base and a
fixed base, 1/2" and 1/4" collets (accepts bits with both 1/2" and
1/4" shank).

I recently got the DeWalt kit and it had a couple of things going for
it. The base is attached with panhead screws with oversize recesses and
a centering cone is provided. If mounted in a table, the body doesn't
rotate as the ring is turned, so the controls and cord remain in the
same place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
pooteo wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I
should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i
also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple
computers
into it

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.

Linksys IS Cisco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

NoOne N Particular wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
pooteo wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I
should
look for, or what I should stay away from?
i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i
also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple
computers
into it

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.

Linksys IS Cisco.

Well, in the same sense that the KR201 is a Messerschmitt.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

There are many kinds, brands, size, weights and features. You may
want to check out a library book about routers. I'd stay away from
off-brands or "bargain" routers. A 1/2" collet is better than a 1/4"
if you plan on larger projects.

I'll second that on the 1/2" collet. I
bought a B&D a few years ago and didn't
do the research you're doing now -
asking around. In my ignorance I ended
up with a 1/4" collet.

In contrast to what others have said
about cheaper brands, I'm pretty happy
with the B&D, except for the collet size.

I also think that getting a decent
router book will give you a solid
grounding on what to look for. Plus
it'll give you some hints 'n tips

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 3:03*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
NoOne N Particular wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
pooteo wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I
should
look for, or what I should stay away from?
i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i
also
hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple
computers
into it

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.

Linksys IS Cisco.

Well, in the same sense that the KR201 is a Messerschmitt.

Messerschmidt maybe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

I have this one that I use mostly for dados, mortises and tenons:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5601

I love it. I have an older 3 HP Ryobi router on my table. Honestly,
the DeWalt is 2.5 HP but it seems more powerful. Maybe it's just my
flawed perception.

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff laid this on me:

On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

I have this one that I use mostly for dados, mortises and tenons:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5601

I love it. I have an older 3 HP Ryobi router on my table. Honestly,
the DeWalt is 2.5 HP but it seems more powerful. Maybe it's just my
flawed perception.

Jeff

Naw, you're probably right. Just because I paint "7 HP" on the side
of a motor doesn't mean it pulls a REAL 7 HP when being used in the real
world. It's kinda like gas mileage in that regard. Within motors of the
same make, maybe it's a good barometer of which ones are more powerful than
others. As a hard and fast rule of how powerful a motor REALLY is, well,
numbers are a powerful marketing tool. But there's a lot more to a tool's
operating power than the number they paint on the side of the case.

Sean
--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys
typed on a million keyboards for a million years,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Puckdropper wrote:

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.

Please. I don't think this is the question the OP is asking. I mean, we
don't even know if they need switching functionality too. We have a pair of
nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both switch and route between
VLANs. With the redundant supervisor modules, you could buy a really nice
workshop and tools for what those babies cost (OBWW).

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 9:16*am, Robatoy wrote:

One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older
models available for a song.

It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those
puppies now and love them.

Somone told me that these routers are now made in China from the
Japanese tooling. Yes? No?

I know they moved a lot of their manufacturing over there, but this
particular router has been an industry standard workhorse even before
Bob and Rick (good day, eh? We're here to talk about yoosing your
router.)

Just wondernig. I used to see them on sale every once in a while and
always wondered if I needed one.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all for the advice, it sure helps hearing from people with
experience.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 4:23*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:16*am, Robatoy wrote:

One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older
models available for a song.

It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those
puppies now and love them.

Somone told me that these routers are now made in China from the
Japanese tooling. *Yes? *No?

I know they moved a lot of their manufacturing over there, but this
particular router has been an industry standard workhorse even before
Bob and Rick (good day, eh? *We're here to talk about yoosing your
router.)

Just wondernig. *I used to see them on sale every once in a while and
always wondered if I needed one.

Robert

Try to keep this quiet, Robert, but here's a deal that's almost
incredible.
http://www.specialtytools.com/produc...ducts_id=12537
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 8:55 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 29, " wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:16 am, Robatoy wrote:

One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older
models available for a song.

It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those
puppies now and love them.

Somone told me that these routers are now made in China from the
Japanese tooling. Yes? No?

I know they moved a lot of their manufacturing over there, but this
particular router has been an industry standard workhorse even before
Bob and Rick (good day, eh? We're here to talk about yoosing your
router.)

Just wondernig. I used to see them on sale every once in a while and
always wondered if I needed one.

Robert

Try to keep this quiet, Robert, but here's a deal that's almost
incredible. http://www.specialtytools.com/produc...ducts_id=12537

Just don't buy one of these for table use unless you are also going to
invest in a lift kit. The Triton is an easier solution for a table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, " wrote:
[...]

If there's a local Woodcraft I'd advise walking in and looking
around--the local ones had that model router on closeout for under a
hundred bucks just before Christmas.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.

Please. I don't think this is the question the OP is asking. I mean,
we don't even know if they need switching functionality too. We have a
pair of nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both switch and route
between VLANs. With the redundant supervisor modules, you could buy a
really nice workshop and tools for what those babies cost (OBWW).

todd

Yeah, but the 208 Volt 30 amp service is gonna be tough to get in a home
workshop. Not to mention the umpty umpty BTU's of cooling he'll need.

D.G. Adams

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:55:23 -0600, dgadams
wrote:

We have a
pair of nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both switch and route
between VLANs. With the redundant supervisor modules, you could buy a
really nice workshop and tools for what those babies cost (OBWW).

Two years from now, the woodworking tools would still have value. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

dgadams wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.

Please. I don't think this is the question the OP is asking. I
mean, we don't even know if they need switching functionality too.
We have a pair of nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both
switch and route between VLANs. With the redundant supervisor
modules, you could buy a really nice workshop and tools for what
those babies cost (OBWW).

todd

Yeah, but the 208 Volt 30 amp service is gonna be tough to get in a
home workshop. Not to mention the umpty umpty BTU's of cooling he'll
need.

D.G. Adams

What do you mean "tough?" Just unplug the table saw. You don't need to
be using it when you're using the router.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:45 am, "
wrote:
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should
look for, or what I should stay away from?

My first post to this group so be gentle...

I have a 3hp Milwaukee for the router table (mod 5645).

For handheld routing I use a Dewalt kit with plunge and fixed base mod
(618PK). Most of my handheld powertools are Dewalt and I like them a
lot (planer, biscuit jointer and 5" orbital sander)

Both work great for me (beginner hobbyist), and I have no regrets, but
if I had to do it again, I'd get the Dewalt kit that includes the D-
handle base. For the router table I'd look at the 3 hp Porter-
Cable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some ideas on your first one:
********************************* = http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html

2 Hp routers Max Woodworking 9 June 24th 07 06:34 AM
Routers howienineball Woodworking 17 December 2nd 06 02:26 AM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 January 6th 06 04:57 PM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 58 December 30th 05 02:58 PM
Value routers MattP UK diy 11 February 11th 04 08:32 PM