Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Routers

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:01:43 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

Funny you mention that. I was considering newer cordless tools from them
since my current 12v Milwaukee cordless drill has done so well for me. That
is, until a dealer I trust told me that Milwaukee was sold overseas. Now I'm
looking very closely at Dewalt instead.

We had a bunch of Milwaukee cordless drills at work, and nothing but
battery problems.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:18:54 -0700, "Steve"
wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .

You can make the NEXT router the heavy duty, high HP variable speed,
plunger, as one router is never enough! G

I have four. And I have a luthier friend who has at least 10.

I'm up to seven.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
We had a bunch of Milwaukee cordless drills at work, and nothing but
battery problems.

Newer models that are imported from overseas or older models? My 12v
Milwaukee I bought almost 14 years ago and has worked quite well over that
period with one rebuilding of the batteries about five years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
I'd take a look at the Makita BHP452HW. My neighbor bought one. Lot's
of torque, light weight, and long lasting batteries with a 15 minute
recharge.

Makita might work fine, but I recently got soured to them. I ordered a
Makita trim router and it wasn't until two weeks later they told the dealer
I ordered them from that the model I'd ordered had been discontinued. All
the while it's still detailed on their website. Obviously, they knew a long
time ago about discontinuing the model I wanted and they still let me sit
for two weeks before saying anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I read what everyone "said", and have been shopping around. It
looks like the Hatichi routers are the way to go. I like the $59 one
'cause of the price but the KM12VC with two bases is the one.
But, why is it that the cheaper ones at Lowe's
(Fire Brand) and I think Craftsman, have the better features. Like a
work light, and the trigger style power switch. I wish the better one's
had this, but I'll pay more for quality.
This is how new I am to all of this. I went to the library today and
got a book on how to use a router. It gives me visions of router
greatness LOL.
Take Care Ya'll,
Antree

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 26, 11:25 pm, wrote:

But, why is it that the cheaper ones at Lowe's
(Fire Brand) and I think Craftsman, have the better features. Like a
work light, and the trigger style power switch. I wish the better one's
had this, but I'll pay more for quality.

Hopefully, that is exactly what you are paying for. Like all the rest
of the machines out there though, there is no "wonder machine" that
has every feature every woodworker wants.

This is how new I am to all of this. I went to the library today and
got a book on how to use a router. It gives me visions of router
greatness LOL.

I think that is a fantastic idea. And with the popularity of the
router in woodworking, there are a lot of really great books out
there. You will find many more people willing to help you when they
find you are making an effort like going to the library.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:24 am, wrote:
Hi Folks,
I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over
already.
Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I
have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink
too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up
taking up space in the garage.
I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one
that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my
Harbor Freight cut out tool did.

Thanks In Advance,
Stan

I have a porter cable 690 that you can find on sale on reconditioned
for around $100-125
This a great router.
Now be prepared to shell out some bucks for all the different router
bits you will need. If you can but carbide tiped bits.
If you cant afford them be prepared to take very light cuts or you
will burn up the bits.
Have fun and be careful , routers can be dangerous.... also very
nosiy.. Are you going to get a router table also?

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Stan,

Following up on Randy's mentioning of a table, I'll offer some of my
observations.

I use a router a middling amount; not near as much as some of the guys
who regularly post here, but my routers are well-used tools in my shop.
One is used freehand and the other is more or less impermanently mounted
in the table. Before I got my second router, the table mounted machine
came out occasionally for freehand work.

I found that it was rare that I unmounted the router from the table,
however. Most of the cuts I wanted to make could be done easily on the
table. And now, my handheld machine isn't used much. Yes, you can use
jigs attached to the edge guides that come with the routers, and some
guys use them all the time. But I really appreciate the hassle free
workings of the table I have.

A table needn't be much more than a 3/4" chunk of plywood, a straight
edge and a couple of clamps for proof-of-concept. It's worth the time
and trouble to see how much easier the router is to use with one.

YMMV

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

u40139@uwe (toolman946*via*CraftKB.com) wrote:

" But the reconditioned Hitachi at this site
(mentioned in a couple of earlier posts) looks
like a great deal..."

I checked their website and the KM12VC listed $315 new and $102
recondtioned. But I saw it at Lowe's for $179. So now I'm wondering, if
they're wrong about that, what else could they be wrong about? Like
warranty, etc.

Take Care,
Stan

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

On the other hand, Amazon right now has it for 129--I'd bet that that
was a limited time special though.

Yikes!!! I just checked Amazing.com and they talk about a July shipping date.
So I don't think the sale is over yet. I thinks that's an outstanding deal
for this machine. If I didn't have so many already... I'd jump on it!

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC.../dp/B0002ZZWX8

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oops!

I just had a close-up look with the zoom feature on Amazon's website (pretty
cool, actually) and I see that this is one of the "new generation" of Hitachi
tools with their swoosh styling and jazzy color scheme. I don't think this
current incarnation quite compares to the vintage Hitachi products, but I
still think that for the money... this is a good deal for a 2 base router kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC.../dp/B0002ZZWX8

Routers [email protected] Woodworking 29 February 1st 08 12:46 AM
2 Hp routers Max Woodworking 9 June 24th 07 06:34 AM
Routers howienineball Woodworking 17 December 2nd 06 02:26 AM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 January 6th 06 04:57 PM
Routers again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 58 December 30th 05 02:58 PM