Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replacement Motor for 14" Delta

I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Is the motor getting enough voltage? Are you using an extension cord
that is too long, too small a gauge, or both?
I suggest you put a voltmeter on the motor input and then cut the ply and
see what happens to the voltage.
The fix could be simpler and cheaper than you suspect.
Art

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Hoosier,
I have replaced the 1/2 hp motor on my '90s Delta 14 bandsaw with a
Farm Duty 1&1/2 hp Baldor motor. Not thinking thoroughly ahead when I
bought it, I was disappointed that the box on the motor that accepts
the line cord prevented me from opening the lower door to change
blades. I remedied this by slicing the door in half with a plasma
cutter and welding a metal strip with studs so I could remove and
reattach the lower piece when changing blades. I also replaced the
drive belt with a link belt.
Now back to your situation. In addition to what Artemus mentioned,
are you sure the motor is slowing down or could it be belt slippage?
Check your belt tension and if it is sloppy tighten it, or replace it
with a link belt and then make it tight. One great benefit of the
link belt is that you can set your motor to its proper length for
tensioning without having the belt in place, thus you can really get
both pulleys lined up perfectly. Then you can adjust your link belt's
length according to the manufactures directions (printed on the
packaging) and have a really tight and properly aligned drive system.
By the way, I got my Baldor through an Ebay seller, Electric Motor
Site.
Oh, and check to make certain the the blade is not slipping on the
tires too. Dirty, dusty tires can cause blade slippage.
Hope your problem does not cost too much money to remedy.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:08:53 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.

New or older unit? Makes a difference because the design shaft RPM
changed in about 2002. Doubled.

Open or enclosed stand? makes a difference because of the mounting
clearances to not obstruct door opening, cap cover locations, etc..
Also, particularly if open, you should make sure that any ODP motor
you are considering has a dust proof centrifugal switch.

Notice WW supply had some Baldor replacements, lower than Delta
service price, but still not exactly cheap.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.

Is the blade sharp? It really makes a difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.

Does the present motor have a tag with frame size? What is the shaft size?
If you have, say a 48 frame, you want a 48 frame to replace it. You want
the same rpm. Totally enclosed is better than open for this application.

Before spending the money on a new motor, be sure the bearings for the
wheels are good, they check the motor as it could be those bearings going
bad also, sapping a lot of power. Look for a motor shop in your area and
take the old one to them to check out. It may save you a bundle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Before spending the money on a new motor, be sure the bearings for the
wheels are good, they check the motor as it could be those bearings going
bad also, sapping a lot of power. Look for a motor shop in your area and
take the old one to them to check out. It may save you a bundle.

Other than replacing a bad start capacitor is isn't usually cost
effective to repair anything below a 2 HP motor.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

New or older unit? Makes a difference because the design shaft RPM
changed in about 2002. *Doubled.

Open or enclosed stand? *makes a difference because of the mounting
clearances to not obstruct door opening, cap cover locations, etc..
Also, particularly if open, you should make sure that any ODP motor
you are considering has a dust proof centrifugal switch.

Notice WW supply had some Baldor replacements, lower than Delta
service price, but still not exactly cheap.

Frank

Hello Frank,
Regarding your comment about the shaft RPM changing, was that
accomplished by changing pulley sizes only? Motro RPM stays the same,
I think. Somewhere, either in conversation or in a magazine/catalogue
I thought DELTA only changed pulley size to change blade speed and
kept the 1725 motor. Let me know if I am wrong about this. Thanks,

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:08:32 -0700 (PDT), marc rosen
wrote:

[...]

No, they changed to a 3450 rpm, 1.5 HP motor and changed the pulley
size and guard in order to keep the blade surface FPM the same as it
was with a wheel RPM of about 800 IIRC. Anything faster and the tires
will lift.

The change was made with a number of other improvements (quick
tension change, table angle presets, effective dust collection), that
would become "free" as a result of changing to the motor, adding
purchasing volume to a motor that already was lower cost (because of
volume) and used for another application. Those dynamics, however,
have changed, so I suspect cost and price are up as a result.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

No, they changed to a 3450 rpm, 1.5 HP motor and changed the pulley
size and guard in order to keep the blade surface FPM the same as it
was with a wheel RPM of about 800 IIRC. Anything faster and the tires
will lift.

The change was made with a number of other improvements (quick
tension change, table angle presets, effective dust collection), that
would become "free" as a result of changing to the motor, adding
purchasing volume to a motor that already was lower cost (because of
volume) and used for another application. Those dynamics, however,
have changed, so I suspect cost and price are up as a result.

Frank,

What about those cast alloy sheaves Delta put in place of the original,
balanced steel sheave in their redesign?

It seems that is one "re-modification" one might want to consider, presented
this opportunity ... perhaps replacing them with a good balanced steel
Browning sheave, for probably less than $50.

It seems this would be a worthwhile "bang for the buck" as these particular
machines have been noted to for their vibration issues. (and add a link
belt, for sure!)

Just wondering what your obviously informed take on the possible benefits of
replacing the sheave is ... staying with the intended size/shaft size
obviously.

Thanks,

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:04:49 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

[...]

No doubt the heavier and more balanced the sheave is the smoother the
function, particularly since it is running at a higher RPM.
Additionally, one of the things that was lost with the higher HP, but
lower cost motor was the resilient mount. Also adds to noise level a
bit, I think.

Early post change models had a stand top plate that was prone to
oilcan, later models had a reinforcing angle. Easy to add angle,
doesn't have to be welded, just bolted below the top plate.

Link belt a good option, however, on units that have the proper ground
edge belt that is warmed up enough to loose its set, no difference in
the vibration (much testing confirms). Issue is most cuts are made
with a cold, set, belt, so never gets to the point where it smooths
out before it is turned off.

Most problems reported in the field would have been addressed at the
factory as was the normal process, however, this unit was transferred
just after the redesign, and no true Delta people left to deal with
the issues. Such is life.

Keep in mind that the earlier comments I made are about the domestic
units. There are two models imported from China, and I'm not familiar
with the motor characteristics for those models.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote
[...]

Thanks, Frank! ... what a valuable resource you are.

Appreciate your willingness to share.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 3:08 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit. I
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

I am confused by all the options found when I search for motors. I've
seen "compressor duty" motors and "utility" motors and "farm
equipment" motors and different frame types, etc.

I know I can buy a motor for it from DELTA, but wiould prefer to spend
the $$ on HP insted of brand names.

Hoping to find someone on this list who has done this (replaced Delta
14" BS Motor with a more powerful unit) and ca share thier experiences
and suggestions - maybe URLs, too.

Take the #s and buy a new BALDOR

I did a similar upgrade to my 14in jet it is and older model (delta
blue green in color) and open base and the motor was along side the
saw. I looked for a cheap motor on ebay
I thought as long as the # matched there would't be a problem and got
a cheap 1.5 motor from china trying to save a $. Waited 2 months to
install it and it was NG. Wasn't worth trying to ship back or raise a
stink over . I chalked it up to a $$ lesson because I did know
better. I went out and bought a baldor that matched the orignal frame/
rotation/rpm specs but this one was 115/220 2hp Farm Duty 1725rpm
motor. I had to make a new enclosed stand(3/4ply and oak), buy a new
pully to accommodate the larger shaft and put a link belt on it. A
little work but well worth it. I even ran a 220 line to the saw and
changed the voltage on the motor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:

I would like to replace the motor with a large, more powerful unit.
think the present motor is BAD as it slows dow in 1/2" plywood!

Things to do before you buy a new motor.

1) Make sure the wire powering the motor is at least 12AWG, 10 is
better.
2) Convert present motor to 240V service.
2) Replace the blade with a quality blade designed for the task.
3) Check saw bearings. Sealed ball bearings are usually greased for
life and should be no problem; however, journal bearings should
probably be lubed if they have oil cups. If not get some oil into them
by whatever means possible.

If the above doesn't solve you problem, get out your piggy bank.

The recent ramp up in copper prices will be reflected in motor prices.

You can use either 1725 or 3450, it's simply a sheave matching
operation to get desired blade speed.

Stick with a 48/56 frame, that will give you a 5/8 shaft and will fit
existing mounting feet but may extend aft more than the present motor.

Buy a TEFC, cap start, cap run motor with built in overload which will
work fine for a woodworking tool since starting torque is usually low.

Couple of years ago, a 2HP unit as described above was about $300.

Today, $400 wouldn't surprise me.

Grainger will be a good source.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:37:32 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote
[...]

You're welcome, but I would suggest that I gets more than I gives from
hanging around this group of well intentioned curmudgeons.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

You're welcome, but I would suggest that I gets more than I gives from
hanging around this group of well intentioned curmudgeons.

Hey, who are you calling well intentioned?? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm running 10AWG from breaker to the saw - I thought of that when it
was on a 12AWG or 14AWG lighting circuit. I run my SEARS Table Saw on
this 10AWG outlet w/o issues.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm pretty sure the bet is tight and the blades' not slipping (tension
is tight) - but I ill check that tomorrow.

The issue metioned with the Baldor motor is one I hope to avoid by
determining (if I can) the FRAME TYPE used as the standard motor
[anyone know?] and other details [anyone know the correct RPM?] - I am
assuming a TECA for dusty locations, but not sure what the frame type
and RPM are - or if there are any other things I need to specify when
looking for a replacement

Part of this is a desire to up the HP.

I read that Timberwolf blades make a difference, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Newer unit with open stand

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all for your feedback.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:00:11 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

Newer unit with open stand

If so, probably one of the imports, the domestic open stand was
discontinued when the changes were made in '02.

That would be 3/4 HP undermounted? Silly reverse taper legs stand?
(one of those PC "designers" got loose and thought it looked good
despite the fact that structurally, it is exactly backwards).

Think it is a 56 frame but not sure.

Do the tune up things that others recommended. 3/4 hp ought to get
you there unless the motor is malfunctioning.

Frank