jwoo

Default Replacement Delta CS motor

My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

TIA
jwoo

Todd Fatheree

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

TIA
jwoo

A couple of years back, I needed a single-phase motor for a Delta DJ-20
jointer. I looked all over online and such and ended up finding what I
needed at Farm-n-Fleet (I'm in the Chicago area myself). Now, the motor I
needed had a pretty standard 56 frame, so that made it easier...i don't know
what you will need. So, my advice is to make the drive to Sycamore and
visit the Farm-n-Fleet. While you're there, buy some Carhartts and a cattle
prod. Afterwards, go another 10 miles and buy some wood at the Kirkland
Sawmill.

todd

jwoo

About how much did you pay for your motor (i know it's not the same,
but still curious about the prices there)?

George

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

NEMA 56, 3450 1.5 HP TEFC. Original are Marathon or Baldor that I've seen.
Only debate, other than price would be whether to get a cap start, induction
run, or a cap start cap run.

Stay away from corroded foreign iron.

http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/l...se_article.htm

Todd Fatheree

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
About how much did you pay for your motor (i know it's not the same,
but still curious about the prices there)?

I believe it was in the neighborhood of $130. I also forgot to mention that
it was made by Marathon Electric, who just happened to make the 3-phase
motor that came with the jointer. They're also the maker of the motor on
*my* Delta CS.

todd

Edwin Pawlowski

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

Grainer lists a 1.5 hp motor for table saws. I don't know if it is 100%
compatible but it may be worth a phone call.

jwoo

Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2
or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor. And whats the difference (or
which is the best) of cap start, induction run, or a cap start cap run?

LRod

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:29:46 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"jwoo" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Geez, to get from Farm 'n Fleet to Kirkland, you practically drive
through the parking lot of The Hardwood Connection. That's worth a
stop, too.

If you don't need either lumber place, and want to save a bit of a
drive, depending on where in Chicagoland you are, there's a Farm 'n
Fleet in Aurora (actually Montgomery), too.

Depending in whether CS stands for contractors saw or cabinet saw, the
motor may be proprietary. Unisaw (a cabinet saw) motors are, and
they're usually closer to $350.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

jwoo

I'll definitly have to stop by the hardwood connection and kirkland.
I've been looking for another lumber company, been using Owl Hardwood
Lumber Co, for some time. It's always nice to have a few places to
compare prices. BTW, my CS is contractor's saw.

Todd Fatheree

"LRod" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:29:46 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"jwoo" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

And I did just that when I went to Kirkland. I just don't understand how
they can sell local lumber at HC with Kirkland nearly half their price a few
miles down the road.

If you don't need either lumber place, and want to save a bit of a
drive, depending on where in Chicagoland you are, there's a Farm 'n
Fleet in Aurora (actually Montgomery), too.

Where is it in Aurora? I can't find a phone listing for it and it's not on
the Blain's Farm-n-Fleet website.

LRod

todd

Toller

"George" George@least wrote in message

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

NEMA 56, 3450 1.5 HP TEFC. Original are Marathon or Baldor that I've
seen. Only debate, other than price would be whether to get a cap start,
induction run, or a cap start cap run.

Stay away from corroded foreign iron.

http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/l...se_article.htm

Thanks for the post. More than I need to know, but interesting.

Jim

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2
or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor. And whats the difference (or
which is the best) of cap start, induction run, or a cap start cap run?

Doesn't a cap start, cap run motor have a little less vibration than a cap
start, induction run device?
Jim

Frank Boettcher

On 25 Oct 2005 23:58:31 -0700, "jwoo" wrote:

My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

TIA
jwoo

Marathon lost the Delta business about the time that the US made
34-444 was discontinued. The motor change was a big mistake IMHO.
I've noticed that Marathon motors are now sold for woodworking
machinery through Woodworkers Supply mail order. They have long sold
Baldors and Leesons.

And I assume you have checked to make sure that it is not something
simple like a centrifugal switch, a an overload reset switch or a
capacitor.

You can probably get a motor from WW Grainger, however, I would go
with a Marathon or Baldor. The weak link is the dustproof centrifugal
switch and those people have years of experience in manufacturing
those.
George

"jwoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2
or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor. And whats the difference (or
which is the best) of cap start, induction run, or a cap start cap run?

See the Leeson list above to learn that cap/cap are better under load.
Guess that would keep your blade speed better, but motor cost is higher.

As far as 2HP delivery, take a look at
http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/V...tro/intro.html or calculate at
http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm, noting that the tension is
supplied by the motor weight. Link belt might be ok, but 2HP is about the
break point to go to dual sheaves on V belts.

jwoo

I did check the CF switch, but not the capacitor. Will check that
tonight. Thanks for the links. Good info!

Unquestionably Confused

on 10/26/2005 9:19 AM LRod said the following:

visit the Farm-n-Fleet. While you're there, buy some Carhartts and a cattle
prod. Afterwards, go another 10 miles and buy some wood at the Kirkland
Sawmill.

Geez, to get from Farm 'n Fleet to Kirkland, you practically drive
through the parking lot of The Hardwood Connection. That's worth a
stop, too.

I was thinking the same thing. Been out of the loop for awhile and the
last time I visited the Hardwood Connection they were still located in
downtown DeKalb. Ken's got a VERY nice place out there on the edge of town.

How's the selection/prices out at Kirkland?

If you don't need either lumber place, and want to save a bit of a
drive, depending on where in Chicagoland you are, there's a Farm 'n
Fleet in Aurora (actually Montgomery), too.

As well as a good-sized Farm & Fleet up in Woodstock (right on US 14)
and a couple of lumber outlets (G-C Sawmill, US 14 NW of Woodstock and
Badger Hardwoods, US 14, Walworth, WI)

Unquestionably Confused

on 10/26/2005 10:17 AM Todd Fatheree said the following:

Where is it in Aurora? I can't find a phone listing for it and it's not on
the Blain's Farm-n-Fleet website.

400 Route 30
Montgomery, IL 60538

Phone 630.801.0232

RobW

jwoo wrote:
My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if
anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement.
Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine
there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better
prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.

TIA
jwoo

Last month I bought a 34-444 with a burned out motor off Ebay for
pretty dirt cheap. Took the motor to a local electric motor repair
place (Plainfield, btw)and it turned out to be lots of dust blocking
that centrifugal switch, and a loose wire in the run capacitor. The
repair guy had it fixed in less than 5 minutes, and did it for free.
The motor's a Marathon/Delta 1.5 hp, and runs fantastic now.

Have it looked at, it may actually be fine.

BTW, I won the ebay bid for only $58, with a unifence and right side
extention table. Still grin whenever I think of how lucky I got.

Rob

LRod

On 26 Oct 2005 07:17:24 -0700, "jwoo" wrote:

Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2
or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor.

No. The physics of a contractors saw don't permit the transfer of
much more power than the 1½ you already have. The physics being the
weight of the motor providing the tension in the belt.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:38:11 +0100, LRod wrote:

On 26 Oct 2005 07:17:24 -0700, "jwoo" wrote:

Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2
or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor.

No. The physics of a contractors saw don't permit the transfer of
much more power than the 1½ you already have. The physics being the
weight of the motor providing the tension in the belt.

it can be done. it involves increasing tension (a spring will work,
well enough) and if you get above 2HP going with double sheaves. the
spring tension will vary with the depth and bevel of cut. it's kind of
a pain to get set up, but it does work.

if you need that much power, consider a cabinet saw.
Todd Fatheree

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. ..
on 10/26/2005 9:19 AM LRod said the following:

visit the Farm-n-Fleet. While you're there, buy some Carhartts and a

cattle
prod. Afterwards, go another 10 miles and buy some wood at the Kirkland
Sawmill.

Geez, to get from Farm 'n Fleet to Kirkland, you practically drive
through the parking lot of The Hardwood Connection. That's worth a
stop, too.

I was thinking the same thing. Been out of the loop for awhile and the
last time I visited the Hardwood Connection they were still located in
downtown DeKalb. Ken's got a VERY nice place out there on the edge of

town.

How's the selection/prices out at Kirkland?

I was there two weeks ago (for the first time). They had a LOT of maple,
red oak, white oak, hard and soft maple, walnut, etc. You name the major
local trees, and they have a bunch. I didn't price anything but hard white
maple, since that was what I was there for, but it was going for about
$3.29/BF for 4/4, IIRC. Before I left, I called Owl Hardwood and was given
a price of $6.02/BF. When I stopped at Hardwood Connection, there were
asking $5.65/BF. I was buying about 70 BF, so I saved a lot by going to
Kirkland. Plus, I just wanted to check the place out.

todd

Unquestionably Confused

Todd Fatheree wrote:

I was there two weeks ago (for the first time). They had a LOT of maple,
red oak, white oak, hard and soft maple, walnut, etc. You name the major
local trees, and they have a bunch. I didn't price anything but hard white
maple, since that was what I was there for, but it was going for about
$3.29/BF for 4/4, IIRC. Before I left, I called Owl Hardwood and was given
a price of $6.02/BF. When I stopped at Hardwood Connection, there were
asking $5.65/BF. I was buying about 70 BF, so I saved a lot by going to
Kirkland. Plus, I just wanted to check the place out.

Thanks. Good to know. Looks like I'll take a run out there next month
if I get a chance to go to Hardwood Connection's open house/show
B a r r y

Mike Berger wrote:
You can order a variety of motors from Grainger Supply. They have
good stock, fast delivery, and good prices.

Grainger is expensive for a retail customer.

Check the local yellow pages under "Motor, Electric".

A few years ago, I bought a replacement Baldor 3HP spa pump motor from a
local guy for a fraction of even the best web sources, and far less than
other outlets, like Northern Tool and Grainger. The local guy accepted
the old motor for a core refund. He needed 48 hours to get it, but the
two day wait was worth it.

The local guys are everywhere, sometimes it takes a moment or two to
find and call them. This one was 15 minutes from home, and listed with
20 more such shops in the phone book. Typically, they don't take credit
cards, so bring a blank check.

FWIW, before he sold me a new motor, he spent a few minutes to see if he
could fix the old one. G

Barry
jwoo

Yeah Grainger has always been on the pricey side...not a surprise.

On a funnier note, the motor actually works fine! Originally when I
pushed the reset button to see if that was the problem, it didn't go
down all the way. But i thought that was as low as it could go. I was
disassembling the motor again last night...lo and behold, a tiny chip
of wood wedge in under the reset button. Plucked that booger outta
there, pushed the reset button and voila! I feel stupid and relieved
at the same time! Thanks for all your help guys!

jwoo

B a r r y

jwoo wrote:

I feel stupid and relieved
at the same time! Thanks for all your help guys!

I never feel stupid until after I've spent the money!

Glad it's working!