Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

Default Delta TS350 10" Table Saw with 1 HP Motor

After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between a
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by reading
the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Is there a better saw out there that I am missing in this price range?
($300-$400)

For example, this saw seems to have a lot features and is $70 cheaper.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jimg

For the price, that looks like a good saw. However, I would suggest
nothing smaller than a 1.5 hp, especially if you are going to work with
hardwoods. Wait awhile if needed and save up a few more dollars.
Another alternative would be to get a bandsaw, depending on what kind
of woodworking you want to do: furniture - bandsaw, remodeling -
tablesaw.

HTH

Locutus wrote:
After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between a
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by reading
the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Is there a better saw out there that I am missing in this price range?
($300-$400)

For example, this saw seems to have a lot features and is $70 cheaper.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"jimg" wrote in message
oups.com...
For the price, that looks like a good saw. However, I would suggest
nothing smaller than a 1.5 hp, especially if you are going to work with
hardwoods. Wait awhile if needed and save up a few more dollars.
Another alternative would be to get a bandsaw, depending on what kind
of woodworking you want to do: furniture - bandsaw, remodeling -
tablesaw.

HTH

Thanks for the advice, a few people have suggested a bandsaw, my primary
goal is furniture building (beds, tables, chests). Due to my limited
experience, I guess I am having trouble understanding how a bandsaw can be
used for this. The last time I used a bandsaw was in highshool woodshop, and
we primarily used it as a large glorified scroll saw... The table on most
of the bandsaws I see seems to small to be able to rip anything larger than
a few inches wide?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I guess I am having trouble understanding how a bandsaw can be used for this.

There several things a TS can do that a BS can't (i.e. dados, ripping
plywood, smoother cuts with a good blade, etc.). But there are a lot
of things a BS can do also beyond scrollsawing, including dovetails,
tenons, resawing, and most rip cuts. Blades are much cheaper, and it's
much safer with no risk of kickback since the blade is moving down and
not towards you. Wide rips like plywood can be done with a handheld
circular saw. I'd do some reading about bandsaws - you can get what I
would consider a fairly good one for $300-400. Not trying to talk you
out of the TS - just consider your options, what kinds of tools you'd
probably keep indefinitely, and what kinds you'd want to be replacing
in a few years.
If you decide you still want a TS (or a BS), I'd look at Grizzly - they
have 1.5HP TS models starting at $495 + shipping.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
jimg

If you really want to get confused about the best choice, do a google
Groups search on "Bandsaw vs Tablesaw"

(slight evil chuckle here)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between a
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by reading
the reviews

I have the TS300, (stamped steel wings). As a newbe, it has served me well.
A bit weak on power. Went together well. No problems yet. Been two years
now, and one complete kitchen later, gonna upgrade to Griz 444Z soon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Locutus wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Great... guess now I have to get both!!

These guys are *******s like that... my bandsaw will likely not cost
~$500, but ~$900 because of them.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Great... guess now I have to get both!!

Just another thing to throw out here in case you're not confused
enough... If you need something for right now while you're saving up a
little more for a good-quality table saw, you might consider a little
bandsaw. Woodcraft has a 10" Rikon for $150, and Craftsman has one
that looks almost identical (except Craftsman is a bad word around
here, and I've not had very good luck with their customer service). My
10" bandsaw is definitely not a heavy-duty tool made to last a
lifetime, but it has served me fairly well, including ripping a
2"x8"x8' white oak board into slats for my mission bed project.
Definitely not as cool or powerful or durable or smooth-cutting as a
good tablesaw, but you might consider doing a project or 2 on something
like this, save up some money, and then get your really nice cabinet
saw assuming you're still addicted to woodworking at that point. Some
here would definitely consider a $150 bandsaw a waste of money or a
"disposable" tool, but some here would also consider a $300 TS a waste
of money.
Of course, no matter what tools you have, you can just plan your
projects around what you have, and add a major tool or so for each
project... (That's worked pretty well for me so far!)
Alternatively, you can also make both cross- and rip-cuts quite
accurately with a handheld circular saw, various jigs, and some
patience - search the archives here for more on that.
Sorry if that just made you more confused or overwhelmed - just have
fun woodworking,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

"Locutus" wrote in message
After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between a
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by

reading
the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

I say go for it. Your price point is, by definition, puts you in compromise
territory. That saw is a bit lower end than I would prefer, but it is an
excellent value. Will spending a few more $$$ get you a better saw? Sure,
but only incrementally so.

As a newbie, it's more important to get in the game and make some dust,
rather than to obsess about getting the perfect saw (which you are not going
to find at that price point, without blowing the next decade of weekends
traveling to estate sales).

As for the bandsaw rhetoric, don't worry about that. That TS will carry you
a long way before you *need* a bandsaw.

Do it; make dust; be happy.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Andy wrote:
Great... guess now I have to get both!!

Just another thing to throw out here in case you're not confused
enough... If you need something for right now while you're saving up a
little more for a good-quality table saw, you might consider a little
bandsaw. Woodcraft has a 10" Rikon for $150,

[snipple]

Sorry if that just made you more confused or overwhelmed - just have
fun woodworking,
Andy

Nope, I bought one of those down the street for $10. I don't like it.
It's fine for roughing out small projects, but not accurate, and with a
narrow blade it has very little accuracy.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"jimg" wrote in message
oups.com...
For the price, that looks like a good saw. However, I would suggest
nothing smaller than a 1.5 hp, especially if you are going to work with
hardwoods. Wait awhile if needed and save up a few more dollars.
Another alternative would be to get a bandsaw, depending on what kind
of woodworking you want to do: furniture - bandsaw, remodeling -
tablesaw.

HTH

BTW, I do a lot of "remodeling"... I have never really needed a table saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi there,

Just wanted to point out that the saw you've got listed there is the
top of the Delta "Shopmaster" line- as rather faithful Delta customer,
I'd like to share my experience with that... All of my starter tools
for my home shop were the less expensive shopmaster ones, and they're
really not anywhere near the same league as the "Industrial" line- as a
result, I'm currently in the process of replacing all of those first
tools I selected with higher grade machines. The old ones are still
operable, but the handles (in particular) have a tendancy to break and
they are generally underpowered and do not accept standard accessories.
For example, I have the TS that is step down from the TS300 (the
TS220) and while it has been a trooper for me, it is what it is- after
a couple of years, the trunnions are getting really stiff, the height
adjustment handle is stripping out, and it's just far too light to do
long rips safely without bolting it directly to the floor. The table
is a non-standard size, so fence upgrades are out of the question, as
are replacement miter gauges. The arbor is too short to accept a dado
stack- something I knew when I bought it and thought it didn't matter,
but I've since changed my tune.
(I've got the local tool shop holding my new 36-680 for me, and I pick
it up on Weds.)

I don't mean to just shoot it down on you- the TS350 looks like a fine
piece of equipment if you're not sure if you're in this hobby for the
long haul, and it will certainly work for you for a few years until you
want to upgrade. But my suggestion, if you can come up with a couple
hundred extra bucks (and I know that's usually easier said than done)
is to take a look at the 36-6XX line (I like the 36-680 or better- then
you get the cast iron wings) Right now, the local tool place has got
it on sale for $499 here, and Delta has a mail-in offer for a free
sawblade with it (they claim it's a $60 value, but that's usually
overinflated a little) Amazon lists it for a bit more than that, but
truth be told, Amazon is not the place to buy Delta- they generally do
not have the best price on the stuff. If you go to Delta's site, they
have a retailer lookup that will let you know who sells it in you area.

Here's the breakdown on the 36-6xx series- For a couple hundred extra
dollars you get:

1. A 1.5hp motor that can be wired for 110 or 220v.
2. A standard table size that can accept any accessory Delta offers
3. A better fence- and a frame that can take an upgraded fence later
on.
4. A good long miter gauge.
5. Metal handwheels.
6. An extra 150# (give or take) of ballast in the form of
higher-quality parts and frame.

You don't get dust collection or a huge amount of bragging rights, and
it may not start up while balancing a nickel on it's edge, but it's a
solid machine that will last forever if it's taken care of. I did a
whole pile of research on it and others in the same price range, and it
beat out the others, including Grizzly, for price and value by my
calculus. The model number reflects the type of fence and extension
wings that it comes with- everything else is the same.

One other good option if you need something light and useful is the
DeWalt contractor's saw- doesn't look like much, but it's tough, the
rack and pinion fence is really nice, and the standouts make it
possible to rip sheet goods without assistance (provided you can lift
them yourself) We've got one at work, and it's quite a nice machine
for $500- next in line to the Delta, in my book. The collapsible stand
is very easy to set up as well- kind of a nice feature if space is a
concern in your shop.

As far as the HF saw you note goes, think about that for a second.
It's 3hp, 263#, "professional grade" and retails for $299? I was
pricing motors a week or so back, and a 3hp motor by itself costs about
that much. I'd say something in there sounds a bit too good to be
true, and probably is.

Good luck and enjoy your new saw!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve DeMars

Buy it, you'll like it . . . after you own it a few months you can post all
the crap that is wrong with it . ..
"Locutus" wrote in message
After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between a
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by

reading
the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Is there a better saw out there that I am missing in this price range?
($300-$400)

For example, this saw seems to have a lot features and is $70 cheaper.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Wow.....must be having a real bad hair day there Steve. That will really
get you a lot of helpful answers next time around but somehow I don't think
that bothers you. All take and no give.

"Locutus" wrote in message
After reading some reviews, I think this saw best fits my budget and
immediate needs (since I am a newbie, its hard to identify what my
current
needs exactly are). While I personally don't know the difference between
good saw and a bad saw, I assuming that this a fairly decent saw by

reading
the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Is there a better saw out there that I am missing in this price range?
($300-$400)

For example, this saw seems to have a lot features and is $70 cheaper.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

FS: SF Bay Area - Delta 10" Table Saw Jeff Woodworking 0 November 7th 04 04:35 PM
How does a 110volt 2 speed motor work 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 11 October 11th 04 10:15 PM
Problem Installing Delta Extension Table On Unisaw jegan Woodworking 4 March 1st 04 06:20 PM
Old Craftsman Table Saw Motor Magnusfarce Home Repair 15 January 2nd 04 08:49 PM
Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor? Dain-Owens Woodturning 14 November 19th 03 07:34 AM