Heath Roberts

Default Delta vs. generic replacement motor

I need to replace a three-phase motor on a Delta 20" drill press with
a single-phase motor. The appropriate Delta part appears to be an
82-040, he

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2209

Specs a 1-1/2 HP, TEFC, Heavy Duty, 60 Lbs, 1725 RPM, 115/230V,
20/10 A, 60Hz, 7/8" single shaft, NEMA 145T frame

I found prices on this around $400.

McMaster-Carr, which isn't generally known for being inexpensive, has
a motor, part 5990K82, for $203.

It says it's a 1-1/2 HP, TEFC, Service factor 1, 1740 RPM, 115/230V,
7/8" single shaft, NEMA 145T frame.

I want a decent motor, but why pay twice as much if you don't have to?
Is the Delta more expensive just because it's got a Delta nameplate? I
know Delta don't actually manufacture their own motors...

Any reason not to buy the cheaper one? Any other places I should look?
(unless someone here has one to sell, I'd prefer a new motor from a
reputable dealer who can deliver from stock)

Thanks,
Heath

Ba r r y

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:00:41 -0500, "Jim" wrote:

Barry, just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay. I'm looking for a
3hp 220v 1ph 1725 right now.

As far as I remember it was $150 'ish. The spa dealer was over $450,
the local tool guy and internet spa dealers were in the low to mid
2's.

Barry

Unisaw A100

Heath Roberts wrote:
Any reason not to buy the cheaper one?

Absolutely not. In fact, with the exception of a
proprietary motor (like say for a Unisaw (1)) there's no
reason at all to continue buying motors from Delta.

(1) Actually, a new Unisaw motor can be gotten from Plaza
Machinery for $250-$300 so there's no reason to even buy
that from Delta.

Any other places I should look?

Plaza Machinery
www.plazamachinery.com

Electric Motor Warehouse
www.electricmotorwarehouse.com

(unless someone here has one to sell, I'd prefer a new motor from a
reputable dealer who can deliver from stock)

I agree but I've bought a thing or two off eBay and got a
pretty good deal. Usually in this case it's best to find a
local seller so you can check out his/her wares before
paying.

UA100