Ksu93dlv

Default Proper speed for drill press?

I just got my first drill press the other day as a Christmas gift. It's a
Grizzly G7944 12-speed floor model drill press. To adjust the speed, you have
to open the top and move the belts on the three pulleys, which seems like a big
pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling wood? I tend to
work with softer woods, though it's not out of the question that I may drill
some oak or other harder woods from time to time.
Charlie Self

ksu asks:

I just got my first drill press the other day as a Christmas gift. It's a
Grizzly G7944 12-speed floor model drill press. To adjust the speed, you have
to open the top and move the belts on the three pulleys, which seems like a
big
pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling wood? I tend
work with softer woods, though it's not out of the question that I may drill
some oak or other harder woods from time to time.

Move the belts. It depends on the wood, and the type of drilling or cutting
you're doing, so changes are needed from time to time. It really isn't that
difficult.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Silvan

Ksu93dlv wrote:

like a big pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling
wood? I tend to work with softer woods, though it's not out of the

If you're too lazy to change belts, you can almost never go wrong leaving it
at the slowest setting for everything.

Changing belts isn't that hard though. We had some variable speed vs.
standard debate a bit back, and I clocked myself changing speeds on a
similar 12-speed drill press. I don't remember what the figure was off
hand, but google does. I think it was 25 seconds, including time spent
looking at the chart to pick a new speed.

I usually do change the speed to the slower end of the suggested range for
the material and size of bit at hand. It bores faster when it turns
faster, and the holes seem cleaner. Note that Forstner bits, hole saws,
fly cutters and the like are an exception, and should be spun slowly no
matter what size.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Bob Davis

I keep mine set at 1440 rpm most of the time. This seems to be a good speed
for using standard drill bits. If I use a larger size hole saw, forsnter or
spade bit, I slow it down considerably.

Bob

"Ksu93dlv" wrote in message
I just got my first drill press the other day as a Christmas gift. It's a
Grizzly G7944 12-speed floor model drill press. To adjust the speed, you

have
to open the top and move the belts on the three pulleys, which seems like

a big
pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling wood? I

tend to
work with softer woods, though it's not out of the question that I may

drill
some oak or other harder woods from time to time.

RWM

"Ksu93dlv" wrote in message
I just got my first drill press the other day as a Christmas gift. It's a
Grizzly G7944 12-speed floor model drill press. To adjust the speed, you

have
to open the top and move the belts on the three pulleys, which seems like

a big
pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling wood? I

tend to
work with softer woods, though it's not out of the question that I may

drill
some oak or other harder woods from time to time.

It depends on what your goals are for your finished pieces. If you just
want to get things completed quickly and are happy with how they come out,
even if they have lots of small errors, then I would set the speed around
1500 rpm and leave it there. If your goal is to make the best possible
pieces then get a drill speed chart, post it next to your drill press, and
use the recommended speed for each task.

I know that some people are going to say that the speed of the drill will
have more effect on the life on the cutting tools than on the finished
piece, but I have found that taking the time to do each step right is the
only way to get consistent results. If you can't take the time to set the
speed on your drill press, then I am sure that there are other more time
consuming tasks that will also get skipped. Again, it depends on what your
goals are. And yes, I have a drill press that I have to move the belts to
set the appropriate speed, and I have the chart on the wall next to the
drill press.

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

SawEyes

" I just got my first drill press the other day as a Christmas gift. It's a
Grizzly G7944 12-speed floor model drill press. To adjust the speed, you

have
to open the top and move the belts on the three pulleys, which seems like

a big
pain. Is there a "standard" speed I can set it on for drilling wood? I

tend to
work with softer woods, though it's not out of the question that I may

drill
some oak or other harder woods from time to time.

You will probably find you need to change the speeds often if you are using
different types of bits - twist, forstner, hole saws etc.
or if drilling in different types of materials.
I have the above mentioned downloadable Drill Press Speed Chart which is a
good reference, however, I have found that sometimes those speeds
mentioned in that chart are a touch too fast, and a slower speed works
better for me, but its a personal thing.
I also have a small magnetic speed chart attached to my drill press which
comes in very handy and is hard to lose.
Rockler sells them for $1.99.
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10675&sid=AF989

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Workshop Essentials Under $30
- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws
- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig
- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw
- Infinity Router Bits

Bob G

My "main" drill press gets used for drilling metal as much as it does for
wood... and to be honest I have no clue what speed it is set up for at the
moment... BUT it takes at most 30 seconds to change speeds.. it is not hard
to do...
and again honestly I I seem to change speeds without even thinking about
it.... BUT I still refer to a guide like the downloadable one mentioned in
another post... My guide
is taped to the wall next to the drill press...been there for almost 30
years now

Bob Griffiths

Jim K

I have a drill press that changes speeds using the pulleys and it goes
quick. I usually check on a chart for the recommended speed and set it
as close as I can. Since I'm not the best craftsman (kinda clumsy)
around, I try to set things up as close as I can before I goof it up
anyway.