Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

Default Leveling a glue up

Hello,

I'm new to wood working and have just put together a couple of glue-
ups for raised panels. A couple of the boards are sitting proud of
the rest and I was wandering if I can use a planner to get them level
since I don't have a belt sander or hand plane.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 10:07 pm, V wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to wood working and have just put together a couple of glue-
ups for raised panels. A couple of the boards are sitting proud of
the rest and I was wandering if I can use a planner to get them level
since I don't have a belt sander or hand plane.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Of course you can. If it will fit in the planer, fire it up and plane
it. That is the easiest way to get the job done if you don't have a
drum sander.

Watch out you don't plane too much, or that you don't plane matching
panels to the same thickness.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:

I'm new to wood working and have just put together a couple of glue-
ups for raised panels. A couple of the boards are sitting proud of
the rest and I was wandering if I can use a planner to get them
level
since I don't have a belt sander or hand plane.

If your panels will fit thru the panel, the answer is "yes"; however,
be aware that you will probably need to clean up both sides.

If you are 1/16 proud on one side, you will be 1/16 low on the back
side, thus if you need both sides clean, you will remove at least 1/8
minimum from the panel.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

or alternatively use clamps on the ends to bring the joints into
alignment. See he

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_3893.jpg

May I ask about your lumber storage system? I'm on the verge of doing
something similar. Specifically...

1. Length of arms and how heavily you have been able to load them

2. How you attached arms to verticals. Through bolts?

3. How you attached the "auxiliary" verticals to both fixed verticals and
arms

4. Spacing between arms. Have you found it to be too little? too much?
about right?

5. "White wood" 2x4s? SYP? Other?

6. Any words of wisdom you care to impart

Thanks...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Garage_Woodworks wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Garage_Woodworks wrote:

or alternatively use clamps on the ends to bring the joints into
alignment. See he

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_3893.jpg

May I ask about your lumber storage system? I'm on the verge of
doing something similar. Specifically...

Most of what you asked can be found on my web page he (small
pictures enlarge when clicked)

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/lumberstorage.htm

Thanks a bunch

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to wood working and have just put together a couple of glue-
ups for raised panels. A couple of the boards are sitting proud of
the rest and I was wandering if I can use a planner to get them level
since I don't have a belt sander or hand plane.

Thanks in advance for your help,

I see from other responses that you won't have a lot of trouble putting
the panels through your planer.

I don't currently own a planer, so I use hand planes all the time for
this kind of thing. If you're new to the hobby, you might want to
consider getting a plane or two. Much easier to set up than the planer,
and gives excellent results if they're sharp.

Understand, I'm not against a planer in any way. I just think that a few
hand planes (especially a decent block plane) is indispensable in a wood
shop. The block and a jack plane are good starts.

Ok, I've had my say there. The other side of the coin with hand planes
is that they're worse than useless if not sharp. And I'd be remiss in
recommending buying a plane or two without the sharpening equipment that
goes with it. That gets you into more stuff to buy and more expense.
There's a bit of a learning curve associated with sharpening as well.

If you're interested we can give you more information about what's
involved. However, if the planer is all you think you need at the
moment, you're still ok.

Just something to think about.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking
V V is offline

On Jun 17, 5:00*pm, Tanus wrote:
V wrote:
[...]

For a long time I've been wanting to use a hand plane, but not knowing
the correct way to use or sharpen them... I'm embarrassed to say they
scare me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"V" wrote

For a long time I've been wanting to use a hand plane, but not knowing
the correct way to use or sharpen them... I'm embarrassed to say they
scare me.

Solution: http://www.drilldoctorstore.us/ws3000.html

Granted, a bit of extra expense, but it removes all the angst from
sharpening hand plane blades up to 2" wide.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

V wrote:
On Jun 17, 5:00 pm, Tanus wrote:
V wrote:
[...]

Having a respect for any tool is a good thing, to tell the truth. But
handplanes are truly pretty safe. And easy to use once you've played
with them for a bit.

Swing's idea is a good one. I don't have that rig but I do have a water
stone and a jig from Lee Valley that ensures my bevel is set correctly.

I have the stone and jig, but the WorkSharp sure looks attractive. If
you can afford it, that can get you into planes, a decent set of chisels
and a lot more tools that need sharpening in a hurry.

As I said in a previous post, sharpening has a learning curve, and i
suspect that's still true with the WorkSharp. But so is everything else
in the hobby.

If you do decide to get a plane, come back and ask questions here. There
are plenty of people who use them and lots of them are more than willing
to give some tips.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"V" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 5:00 pm, Tanus wrote:
V wrote:
[...]

Sometimes you can use a jack plane to get the panel a little closer to flat
on one side *before* you run it through the planer. Sometimes you won't
waste as much wood.(thickness)
Tony

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dicko wrote:

Is it safe to run a glue up through a planer? I've always been afraid
to, thinking the glue lines will nick the planer knives.

For anything other than the hardest of epoxies, no problem. Do want to
clean up excessive squeeze out first, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dicko" wrote

Is it safe to run a glue up through a planer? I've always been afraid
to, thinking the glue lines will nick the planer knives.

One of the handiest tools to use beforehand is a disposable blade paint
scraper. Use it to remove most of the glue squeeze out before you run it
though the planer.

I've used a Hyde paint scrapper for years, like the one in the link below,
to good effect for that task.

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...r--671744.aspx

Takes the glue right off, and a fresh sharp blade will even level your
seams with little effort.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08