Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off/On Topic: Thunderbird (not the wine) filters?

Greets, folks.

Decided to stick my head back in this group after a multi-year absence,
which was caused by extreme lack of real life time for woodworking. The
fact that I didn't have room to *use* my woodworking tools during that
time had something to do with it too.

Now, though, things are looking up and I'm starting to address the thick
layer of dust (the regular kind, unfortunately) off my meager collection
of 'lectrics. So that's good.

Spent some time this evening perusing threads, good some good info and
kicks out of some. Others.. well, let's just say I didn't. Which leads
me to..

Does anyone out there use Thunderbird as a news reader? If so, and
you've figured out how to make it "not show" certain types of posts by a
filter correctly - scratch that, quickly and easily - I'd be interested
in hearing. Doh! Just thought about plugins.. off to search those.

(Direct replies are fine fer tips/suggestions.)

Jason Buckler
Marietta, GA
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jason wrote:
Does anyone out there use Thunderbird as a news reader? If so, and
you've figured out how to make it "not show" certain types of posts by a
filter correctly - scratch that, quickly and easily - I'd be interested
in hearing. Doh! Just thought about plugins.. off to search those.

Relatively so; could be easier and quicker but "Create Filter from
Message" is under "Message" menu...(it _does_ work ).

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

But, I generally just use the "Ignore thread" (K) option rather than
filters...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jason wrote:
[...]

Or go to "tools" and thence to "message filters". I generally "delete"
the affected messages. Aaaaaallllll gone.
jo4hn
mahalo,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jason wrote:
[...]

I use Tbird. I filter easily without plugins. I just use the
ToolsMessage Filters.. command off the menu and use it exclusively for
killfiling. You can set the files up individually on a basis of when you
see something you don't like and killfile it by author or by topic, or
you can get a comprehensive list from Swingman that killfiles just about
anything that's considered spam in here. I'd list that file if I had it,
but I lost it in a crash.

As well, you can killfile directly by right clicking on the sender's
name and open the filter dialog box.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
I use Tbird. I filter easily without plugins. I just use the
ToolsMessage Filters.. command off the menu and use it exclusively for
killfiling. You can set the files up individually on a basis of when you
see something you don't like and killfile it by author or by topic, or
you can get a comprehensive list from Swingman that killfiles just about
anything that's considered spam in here. I'd list that file if I had it,
but I lost it in a crash.

As well, you can killfile directly by right clicking on the sender's
name and open the filter dialog box.

Thanks to Tanus and John and dpb fer the responses; I had a
forest-for-the-trees situation, and I'm all good now.

(Having the Penelope plugin threw me off a bit too. Went back to
normalized menus and they are a tad different.)

Jason Buckler
Marietta, GA