Posted to rec.woodworking

Default finish on western red cedar?

just finished a planter made of western red cedar(plan called for redwood)
should I put any finish on it? I live in central Maryland

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leonard Shapiro" wrote in message
just finished a planter made of western red cedar(plan called for redwood)
should I put any finish on it? I live in central Maryland

As a builder, I prefer to either paint it with an exterior trim paint, or
leave it totally unfinished down here on the Gulf Coast.

All natural finishes applied to WRC, like stains with and without topcoat,
that we have attempted to use have all turned unsatisfactory after two or
three years, without exception.

Just my experience ... YMMV.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 12:14*pm, "Leonard Shapiro"
wrote:
just finished a planter made of western red cedar(plan called for redwood)
should I put any finish on it? I live in central Maryland

Len

I would apply a finsih, Just to help repel water, it will last longer.
i would use a polyerene made for outdoor use. I have some information
on outdoor projects on my web site.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:14:02 -0400, "Leonard Shapiro"
wrote:

just finished a planter made of western red cedar(plan called for redwood)
should I put any finish on it?

I like Olympic Maximum Cedar Tint on that wood.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **