Posted to rec.woodworking

Default crown molding questiion

My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Norvin wrote:

My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

That splice would be called a scarf cut and it needs to be angled and
beveled for a tight fit. Make sure you install some blocking where you
think the scarf will be on both ceiling and wall. You need it there because
you will have a hard time hitting a stud unless you measurement is right on
and why gamble.

4" or 6"? 4" is easier but it disappears because its so small. What height
are the ceilings? I'm sure you have more questions.

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Norvin" wrote in message
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that
may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here are a couple links that may help you install crown moldings

DeWalts instruction page on cutting crown

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...odworking&ID=2

http://www.altereagle.com/How_to_install.html

using coping saw
http://www.rd.com/17891/article17891.html

http://boydski.com/wood/Crown/InstallingCrown.htm

I usually buy more than I need, as it takes me a couple cuts to get
back into doing it right
after being away from it for a while.
Also, you might want to make up a couple corners and glue, nail them
together to use as
a reminder, demo, of the cuts you will be making, It's easy to get
confused when first putting
this up. You will get better as do more of it.
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:

"Norvin" wrote in message
[...]

Instead of gluing corners, depending on what your doing, just make templates
that will allow you to use them to line up your saw blade. I usually set
the saw up to cut both bevel and miter cut and lay crown flat. I have a
very large miter saw though.
And if your only doing a rectangular room then you only have to cut inside
miter cope cuts. 2 templates.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 9:04*pm, Norvin wrote:
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

When I did crown molding in my house, I bought a jig a lowe's made for
cutting crown molding on my mitre saw. The jig is a big help.
Make sure you get one of these before you start.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depends on the shape of the room as someody else pointed out.

You can always use corner blocks and make NO miter cuts. I would
also recommend putting up a backer board and putting the crown on
that. This saves a LOT of trouble in nailing. This creates a nice
profile. I have used baseboard turned upside down as backer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...043&lpage=none
http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...n_molding.html

or

Crown molding with training wheels:

http://www.sosimplecrown.com/videoPage.html

Norvin wrote:
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norvin wrote:
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so I
am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 2:52 pm, Norvin wrote:

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so I
am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Go to the lumber yard and check out their colonial 4" and 5" base.
Put it on upside down, and if you want, trim it with some shoe mold.
You will be surprised at how good it looks when painted.

Not my idea... I had a client that did that because he didn't know how
to cut crown. By doing it this way he was easily able to control the
joinery needed to pull off scarfs and miters.

Actually, laying flat on the wall made it look pretty spiffy.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:52:32 -0500, Norvin
wrote:

Norvin wrote:
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so I
am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Never heard of installing crown molding vertically. I question the
appearance, but I suppose she will have to live with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Vertical crown ????

Norvin wrote:
Norvin wrote:

My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so
I am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Perhaps, flat on the wall would have been a better description. My
engineering background tells me if things are horizontal, vertical,
angled and so on.
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

wrote:

Norvin wrote:
My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so I
am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Never heard of installing crown molding vertically. I question the
appearance, but I suppose she will have to live with it.

Now you have. I found some crown molding that was much the same on both sides and used it to hide a gas pipe that comes down the wall from the ceiling to my fire place. Most folks think it was designed for that purpose.
P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 18:45:59 -0500, Norvin
wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
Vertical crown ????

Norvin wrote:
Norvin wrote:

My daughter wants to put crown molding in a couple rooms and like
many a good dads, I am elected. I know that I will have to make some
splices but not sure what is best. She is planning to paint so that may
be a factor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My daughter has decided to put the molding "vertical" and not angle so
I am guessing that a backer board will not be a solution.
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Perhaps, flat on the wall would have been a better description. My
engineering background tells me if things are horizontal, vertical,
angled and so on.

I refer to it as "stacked" crown. I've done it a few times.

Installed 1x8 around the room, then placed 6" base upside down around
the room and finally 3" casing. It builds up a profile. Hide the nail
holes with each stack. Only minimal nails holes to fix.

Crown molding cut, 70* Cut how? evodawg Home Repair 8 December 2nd 06 05:02 AM
Crown molding Kenny Goss Home Repair 2 December 1st 06 04:23 PM
Crown Molding ladybug Home Repair 1 September 29th 06 05:55 AM
Crown Molding ?? EvoDawg Woodworking 10 June 6th 05 12:07 AM
How to cut crown molding? Key Bored Woodworking 5 November 28th 04 05:43 PM