Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawmill Creek forum

Just ran into Sawmill Creek forum after doing a search on Google. Seems like
a really great resource for woodworking. Everything from Boat building
tools woodcarving and projects. If your interested:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 00:24:02 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Just ran into Sawmill Creek forum after doing a search on Google. Seems like
a really great resource for woodworking. Everything from Boat building
tools woodcarving and projects. If your interested:

Started in 2003 by several disenfranchised Badger Pond refugees when
that formu closed. It started out as a good forum with great people,
but I never liked the software. Later, it evolved into a forum with
moderators who apparently really like moderating. If that's your cup
of tea, enjoy. The software still sucks.

At the same time that it started, many of the same disenfranchisees
discovered WoodCentral (http://www.woodcentral.com) which had been in
place for a while. It had much more of the look and feel of the old
BP, and it has been my principal home for the last five years.

The owner is Ellis Wallentine, former editor of one of the woodworking
mags, and well known in the woodworking industry. You won't hear that
from him. He is the most understated forum owner/moderator you'll ever
find. First class guy.

You'll probably not even be able to tell it's a moderated forum. If
there is more than five "Admin" posts a year, I'd be surprised. I
don't even know who all the moderators are, and I am heavily involved
in the forum (I format the articles into HTML and WC look and feel).

Give it a look.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 10, 10:05 am, LRod wrote:
[...]

I don't know much about Sawmill Creek, but I do know Ellis (not well),
and WoodCentral. I haven't spent my normal amount of time there in the
last year or so while working on my book (hell, I haven't spent much
time talking to my wife, either), but Ellis is a class act, and WC is
an excellent site (bunch of sites, really). He was the long time
editor of American Woodworker, before RD changed its entire look and
aim, during the glory days of that magazine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Been a Sawmill Creek contributor for a few years now. Lots if good
information and posts. And yes, the moderators keep on top of things
but I like that as a general rule. They do ask for a donation of
$6.00 a year for full access but for the most part it's not required.
A couple of the subjects are contributor only but most are generally
accessible. Also, try woodnet.net forum. Ever bit as good as Sawmill
Creek. They seem to have a few more classified postings than other
forums. I have tried wood central from time to time but there is just
too much off topic stuff for me.
YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

On May 10, 10:05 am, LRod wrote:
[...]

Just took a look there.

Thinking about migrating.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

Just ran into Sawmill Creek forum after doing a search on Google. Seems like
a really great resource for woodworking. Everything from Boat building
tools woodcarving and projects. If your interested:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I tried Sawmill Creek. Since they wanted a real name I signed on with R. Payne
(instead of my usual son_of_bluegrass) and sign my post with ron. After a few
days I was told that wasn't good enough. I haven't been back. If you like that
much moderation then I'm sure it is a good forum.
The woodwork forums I do frequent are
www.woodcentral.com
www.forums.woodnet.net
ww.woodworkforums.com

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On May 10, 10:05 am, LRod wrote:
[...]

I stop by there every now-and-again. Always something interesting and
not as staunch as Woodweb (where I do get a lot of info).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:36:51 GMT, r payne
wrote:

I tried Sawmill Creek. Since they wanted a real name I signed on with R. Payne
(instead of my usual son_of_bluegrass) and sign my post with ron. After a few
days I was told that wasn't good enough. I haven't been back. If you like that
much moderation then I'm sure it is a good forum.
The woodwork forums I do frequent are
www.woodcentral.com
www.forums.woodnet.net
ww.woodworkforums.com

There's one even worse. It's called Family Woodworking or something
like that. I have a couple of friends that belong to it and they
invited me to take a look. The first thing I noticed is that (like
Sawmill Creek started doing a while back) unless you are signed in
(which obviously means registered, too), most any images attached to a
post don't display. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that's
a good idea. If you want to attract viewers and members, shouldn't you
make the content available so they can decide?

But the worse thing about the Family Woodworking was when I tried to
register using one of my gmail spamtrap addresses, they refused it
(auto-bot) and I would have had to write some sort of pleading note to
someone to get in. Groucho Marx came to mind and I decided it wasn't
the place forr me. Sawmill Creek hasn't been for a long time.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I believe Family woodworking forum was started by some disgruntled
Sawmill Creek members. At least that's what someone who was a member
and had been banned from SMC told me. He got into some kind of off
limits discussion or dissed someone or publicly agreed with another
member on some subject the moderators were against. I did check it
out a couple of times but it didn't really have a large enough
membership to bother going back. Plus there are only so many hours in
a day and who has the time to monitor more than one or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The more and more I get into it I'm having second thoughts. Seems a bit
clickish. I already had one of my posted pictures in an OFF Topic area
removed because they thought it to resque. Someone had asked about linux
and I took a snapshot of my desktop and posted it. It was fairly innocent
and they said it was not a place for a family forum. I should post the pick
on A.B.P.woodworking.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

.... snip

The more and more I get into it I'm having second thoughts. Seems a bit
clickish. I already had one of my posted pictures in an OFF Topic area
removed because they thought it to resque. Someone had asked about linux
and I took a snapshot of my desktop and posted it. It was fairly innocent
and they said it was not a place for a family forum. I should post the
pick on A.B.P.woodworking.

Please do, would like to get a data point to determine whether it is
worthwhile to explore over there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote

The more and more I get into it I'm having second thoughts. Seems a bit
clickish. I already had one of my posted pictures in an OFF Topic area
removed because they thought it to resque. Someone had asked about linux
and I took a snapshot of my desktop and posted it. It was fairly innocent
and they said it was not a place for a family forum. I should post the

pick
on A.B.P.woodworking.

I joined long ago, looked around for a few days and never even bothered to
post. One of the problems with moderated forums - the big dog has to
occasionally **** on someone's tree to let you know who's in charge.

Add web based messaging to the mix and I'll take Usenet any day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

evodawg wrote:

... snip

The more and more I get into it I'm having second thoughts. Seems a bit
clickish. I already had one of my posted pictures in an OFF Topic area
removed because they thought it to resque. Someone had asked about linux
and I took a snapshot of my desktop and posted it. It was fairly innocent
and they said it was not a place for a family forum. I should post the
pick on A.B.P.woodworking.

Please do, would like to get a data point to determine whether it is
worthwhile to explore over there.

its posted for your viewing and comments.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:05:24 +0000, LRod wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 00:24:02 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Just ran into Sawmill Creek forum after doing a search on Google. Seems
like a really great resource for woodworking. Everything from Boat
building tools woodcarving and projects. If your interested:

Started in 2003 by several disenfranchised Badger Pond refugees when
that formu closed. It started out as a good forum with great people, but
I never liked the software. Later, it evolved into a forum with
moderators who apparently really like moderating. If that's your cup of
tea, enjoy. The software still sucks.

sawmill creek annoys me. I supplement this newsgroup with the
lumberjocks website.

What's up with Sawmill Creek forum Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 7 February 14th 08 03:47 AM
sawmill creek down? alexy Woodworking 3 September 2nd 06 10:10 PM
Sawmill Creek Forums Help novascroller Woodworking 3 August 8th 06 12:46 AM
EVOLUTION Up a Creek Without a Paddle... Larry Blanchard Woodworking 0 October 23rd 05 12:37 AM
EVOLUTION Up a Creek Without a Paddle... Charlie Self Woodworking 0 October 22nd 05 11:54 PM