Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Yankee Workshop

I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through the
items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6 different
woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Thanks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through
the items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6
different woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Thanks...

I don't "know" what sizes he'd have, but I can guess...

....#6 x 3/4 and 1"

....#8 x 1" and 1 1/4

....#10 x 1 3/4" and 2 1/2"

I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but if I
had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around then just buy
the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign the project to use
the screws that I have, if possible.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Alexander wrote:
I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through the
items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6 different
woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Thanks...

I didn't think he used anything but brads...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"The Davenport's" wrote in message

I changed your list a bit to what I keep:

I don't "know" what sizes he'd have, but I can guess...

...#6 x 3/4 and 1" and 1 1/4"

...#8 x 1 1/2" and 1 1/4

...#10 x 1 1/2"

Never saw the need for anything else yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 22:54:13 -0400, "Bob Alexander"
wrote:

I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through the
items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6 different
woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Ohmigod, am I going to have to add another category?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodie wrote:
Bob Alexander wrote:
I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going
through the items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks
5 or 6 different woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Thanks...

I didn't think he used anything but brads...

LOL !

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Davenport's wrote:
I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through
the items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6
different woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?

Thanks...

I don't "know" what sizes he'd have, but I can guess...

...#6 x 3/4 and 1"

...#8 x 1" and 1 1/4

...#10 x 1 3/4" and 2 1/2"

I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but if I
had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around then just buy
the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign the project to use
the screws that I have, if possible.

Mike

I also keep some #4 brass plated at 3/8" to 1/2" for smallish hinges in
smallish wood. I also have some deck screws and the like.
screw,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but

if I
had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around then just

buy
the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign the project to

use
the screws that I have, if possible.

I also keep some #4 brass plated at 3/8" to 1/2" for smallish hinges in
smallish wood. I also have some deck screws and the like.
screw,

What kind of woodworkers are you? To qualify as bonafide woodworkers, you're
required to have on hand several of those 64 drawer sorting bins as well as
having a bucket of unsorted nuts, screws and bolts.

I'm calling up the 'Woodworkers master list' society and having your names
removed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:12:53 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

What kind of woodworkers are you? To qualify as bonafide woodworkers, you're
required to have on hand several of those 64 drawer sorting bins as well as
having a bucket of unsorted nuts, screws and bolts.

Not me!

99% of my hardware is in (2) 12" x 16" x 2" Durham Mfg. metal
"suitcase" boxes with plastic interiors.

Did I mention I got them for $3/ea. at Durham's warehouse? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:20:45 +0000, LRod wrote:

Ohmigod, am I going to have to add another category?

Stop pretending you didn't already know what hardware Norm keeps on
hand.

You can fool some folks, but _WE_ know you!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"jo4hn" wrote in message

[...]

And a bunch of wimps too.

Nobody mentioned Lag Bolts (lag screws) for those BIG jobs!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The Davenport's" wrote in
:

*snip*

I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but
if I had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around
then just buy the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign
the project to use the screws that I have, if possible.

Mike

For screws, I keep 4 sizes in larger quantities: 1 1/4", 2", 2.5" 3.0" For
other hardware, it's usually what I needed for the last project. I've got
a bunch of 5/16" carriage bolts left over (and I'm still finding uses for
them), and several 1/2" lag bolts, for example.

When it comes to bolts and things, if I need more than 10 or so I'll look
in to buying a package of 25 or 50. One hardware store would give a couple
cent per piece discount if you bought a box.

I suspect this is fairly standard procedure for woodworkers, though...

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:20:45 +0000, LRod wrote:

Ohmigod, am I going to have to add another category?

Stop pretending you didn't already know what hardware Norm keeps on
hand.

You can fool some folks, but _WE_ know you!

Yeah, I think LRod's been sand bagging. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 4:12 pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

I also keep some #4 brass plated at 3/8" to 1/2" for smallish hinges in
smallish wood. I also have some deck screws and the like.
screw,

What kind of woodworkers are you? To qualify as bonafide woodworkers, you're
required to have on hand several of those 64 drawer sorting bins as well as
having a bucket of unsorted nuts, screws and bolts.

Those aren't buckets of unsorted fasteners - they're gravity clamps.
You can never have too many clamps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 6:01*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

"jo4hn" wrote in message

[...]

I am strictly a Tapcon kinda fella. (Hilti & Remington RULE too!!!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but

if I
had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around then just

buy
the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign the project to

use
the screws that I have, if possible.

I also keep some #4 brass plated at 3/8" to 1/2" for smallish hinges in
smallish wood. I also have some deck screws and the like.
screw,

What kind of woodworkers are you? To qualify as bonafide woodworkers, you're
required to have on hand several of those 64 drawer sorting bins as well as
having a bucket of unsorted nuts, screws and bolts.

I'm calling up the 'Woodworkers master list' society and having your names
removed.

Don't have them remove mine, unfortunately I'm exactly as you
describe, much to my dismay as I'm trying to find that piece of
hardware I know I have.

The success rate at finding that thing you know you have and avoiding
a trip to the hardware store is about one time in ten around here.

Frank

This Old House & New Yankee Workshop Dan Home Repair 5 April 15th 08 02:37 AM
new yankee workshop New Yankee Workshop Woodworking 5 October 27th 06 04:35 AM
new yankee workshop RayV Woodworking 0 October 26th 06 03:55 PM
Detroit-New Yankee Workshop?????? Matt Woodworking 9 March 26th 05 11:27 PM
New Yankee Workshop Larry Jaques Woodworking 3 August 12th 03 12:53 AM