Posted to rec.woodworking

Default polish wooden knife scales /handles

HI all, I'm trying to fnd the most effective wway of finishing off the
wooden knife scales. I've tried rouge and then buffing but this
doesn't seem to be very effective. I've tried a very very fine grit
wet and dry and this so far seems to be the best method, but i still
feel there must be a better way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 03:20:33 -0700 (PDT), dafyddw
wrote:

HI all, I'm trying to fnd the most effective wway of finishing off the
wooden knife scales. I've tried rouge and then buffing but this
doesn't seem to be very effective. I've tried a very very fine grit
wet and dry and this so far seems to be the best method, but i still
feel there must be a better way.

What kind of wood?

Any finish or oil on the scales?

Most wood buffs very well, but I've never tried rouge on the wheel..

Normal process is tripoli, then white diamond, then carnauba wax..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

HI all, I'm trying to fnd the most effective wway of finishing off the
wooden knife scales. I've tried rouge and then buffing but this
doesn't seem to be very effective. I've tried a very very fine grit
wet and dry and this so far seems to be the best method, but i still
feel there must be a better way.

What kind of wood?

Any finish or oil on the scales?

Most wood buffs very well, but I've never tried rouge on the wheel..

Normal process is tripoli, then white diamond, then carnauba wax..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

its zebra wood, no oil no finish. What's tripoli?
thanks David
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

HI all, I'm trying to fnd the most effective wway of finishing off the
wooden knife scales. I've tried rouge and then buffing but this
doesn't seem to be very effective. I've tried a very very fine grit
wet and dry and this so far seems to be the best method, but i still
feel there must be a better way.

What kind of wood?

Any finish or oil on the scales?

Most wood buffs very well, but I've never tried rouge on the wheel..

Normal process is tripoli, then white diamond, then carnauba wax..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

its zebra wood, no oil no finish. What's tripoli?
thanks David

Zebra is hard to buff "naked" because of the open grain...
I usually put a coat of Danish Oil or sanding sealer on it before buffing..

I use the Beall buffing system:

http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Available direct from them or at Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.....