Default How to put wooden handles back on tampers

I have two tampers with broken handles. They are size 8"x8". I have
reemed out the wood from the metal tamper head. I have cleanly cut the
broken portion off the handles and have fresh(but shorter)handles ready
to re-install. How do ya do it, please and thanks?

Roger Taylor

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two tampers with broken handles. They are size 8"x8". I have
reemed out the wood from the metal tamper head. I have cleanly cut the
broken portion off the handles and have fresh(but shorter)handles ready
to re-install. How do ya do it, please and thanks?

They sell replacement handles for various tools, at home depot. If you
re-use the shorter handles, use a hatchet to carefully chop and taper the
tool end of the stick so it is slightly oversize, then just take a sledge
and, with the tamper on cement, drive the handle home, so it is flush with
the base of the tamper head. Then take some wedges or good sized nails to
hammer into the head, to expand it against the tool. They sell axe, hammer,
and sledge wedges at hardware stores. They work better than nails.