Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge treatment for curved desktop

I have to build a simple desk for a my teenage daughter. It will
consist of a drawer unit, which I have, a leg or two or three to
support the rest, and a top.

I'm a reasonably handy guy and have built a few simple shelf-unit and
cubbyhole type pieces, but I'm not an accomplished woodworker.

The desktop will fit into a corner. To maximize the desk space in her
crowded bedroom, I'm planning a sort of curved L shape. I'll make it
out of plywood, probably.

That leaves (at least) two questions.

1. How to finish the top. I'm thinking of some sort of laminate,
although I haven't tried that before. I'd love for someone to tell me
there was some other option that would look decent, be very flat and
hold up to the kind of wear that a teenager will subject it to.

2. How to treat the curved edge. I don't think glue-on banding would
hold up. I'm not sure I could properly cut laminate into a narrow
strip. T-molding is a possibility, although not so great-looking. I
have considered making some sort of complicated polygon instead of a
curve, in which case I might use some 1x2 oak and round the edges with
a router. I'm sure that's within my skills, and would look OK, but I
kind of prefer a curve.

What other options are available to someone at my level of
(in)expertise?

Greg Guarino
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

1. Use the laminate and trim with a router and trimming bit. Put on and
trim edge band first, top laminate second.

2. Use the oak for an edge on the curved top. Oak bends easily and a 1/4"
thick strip should bend easily depending on the curve and will last well.
If the curve is too great you could laminate thinner strips together on a
jig with a similar curve. If you want a thick edge, you can make crosscuts
at intervals not quite all the way through (leave 1/8" or so). That will
easily bend but you are left with the cuts showing on the inside so you then
need to cap with a thin piece of solid wood.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about using the adhesive strips that are applied with an iron?
I've used those on a corner unit for my daughter before, they come in oak
and work like a charm.
They make it look like it's solid wood.

It would give you the finished look you want and butt right up to your
laminate top no problem. Easy peasy.

Durable too if she isn't too rough on things.

Kate

"dadiOH" wrote

[...]

Trimming skirting for curved floor edge. Arthur 51 UK diy 7 December 21st 07 03:51 PM
Wallpapers for your desktop [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 15th 06 09:53 AM
Best Desktop CNC Cliff Metalworking 1 June 1st 05 01:10 AM
Desktop Dr. deb Woodworking 2 October 18th 04 02:22 PM
Rail & Stile Edge Treatment Question charlie b Woodworking 7 February 24th 04 09:14 AM