Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trimming skirting for curved floor edge.

Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. And I'm
**** with a plane.

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. And I'm
**** with a plane.

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

Either run it through a sawbench, or fix it to something bigger and use
a circular saw to trim the width. IMO the bottom edge of the skirting
should be straight, even if the floor isn't.
I'd have probably chopped out the concrete to get the whole thing flat.
IME those hearths are only 50mm or so deep and break up pretty easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 21 Dec, 11:15, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg *draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. *And I'm
**** with a plane.

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

Crap with a plane? Then try a Surform plane and sandpaper and block,
and you can't go wrong

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 11:53, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
[...]

The skirting is 18mm thick x 5" mdf.
I have a radiator that runs nearly the whole width of this chimney
breast so will hide the trimmed skirting. And I've got some spare
skirting to try again if I really mess it up.

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 11:15, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. And I'm
**** with a plane.

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

A hand plane and MDF don't go together anyway as the MDF has so much
c**p in it that it'll blunten the plane blade in no time.

Get a cheap electric plane with hardened blades and use that.
Remember that if you use the plane, of any sorts, horizontal but at an
angle across the face you're planing, you can take out quite big dips
in something like skirting.

Rob

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

Wizzer,cut a channel in the concrete hearth the thicness of the sirting and
the slight depth and slot the skirting in that channel no need for your crap
planing then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

Wizzer,cut a channel in the concrete hearth the thicness of the sirting
and
the slight depth and slot the skirting in that channel no need for your
crap
planing then

Can't do this because the flooring is laid under the skirting.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. And I'm
**** with a plane.

Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?

Router in a table?

Electric plane followed by sanding block?

Surform follow3ed by ditto.

Everyone is '**** with a plane'

The answer is to do it a little at a time,. check frequently,. and
expect the job to take all day, and be chuffed when its finished by teatime.

Who sells 6" high skirting board with rounded top edge? Mike D UK diy 11 June 30th 07 09:49 AM
Stair Edge / Skirting - Cracking - Decorators Caulk Mike Myers UK diy 2 June 12th 06 01:38 PM
Trimming skirting MarkF UK diy 32 November 28th 05 06:29 PM
Wooden Floor Trimming stockdam UK diy 2 November 27th 05 09:38 PM
Paint a Straight edge on Skirting Board? Mr B UK diy 8 November 30th 04 06:35 PM