Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Bar Project Completed

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Howard wrote:

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Very nice work, Howard..

Just how BIG is the room it's in??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Howard" wrote in message
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Now that is a bar!

Looks totally elegant. You documented it well. I felt like I was building
it along side of you. (I'm tired now)

If you don't mind, how much did this cost you in terms of both money and
time? That granite bartop is definitely unique.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 7:33*am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Very nice work, Howard..

Just how BIG is the room it's in??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The room is about 22 x 22
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 7:44*am, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Howard" wrote in message

... The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Now that is a bar!

Looks totally elegant. *You documented it well. I felt like I was building
it along side of you. (I'm tired now)

If you don't mind, how much did this cost you in terms of both money and
time? *That granite bartop is definitely unique.

The granite slabs (2) were 2000 total labor to install granite 2500
balance of cost on bar was approx 4500 which included the beer and
beverage cooler witch holds 12 cases. Time wise it took about a month
to build with actual hours of about 120

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:31:33 -0700 (PDT), Howard wrote:

On Apr 22, 7:33*am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Very nice work, Howard..

Just how BIG is the room it's in??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The room is about 22 x 22

Nice size room!
In the pictures it looks truly huge, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 9:59*am, Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Fabulous! Really well done.
I often sell bar-tops, and sometimes I commission a complete job.....
and this is as nice a job as $25K+ will buy around here.

The true test would be if it holds me up at the end of a tasting
session.

rrrrrrrr
Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard wrote:

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Great looking project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good job Howard!

Very nicely done. I like the design of it a lot.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 12:30*am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:
wrote:
Good job Howard!

Very nicely done. *I like the design of it a lot.

I did too. *He should put mirrors behind the booze to make it appear he has
double the supply.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Dont need the mirrors have more below and my friends would never leave
if they thought I had that much booze
Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Howard, you do very, very nice work! The other projects are terrific,
as well, from both design and execution standpoints.

Without prying too much, what do you do for a living?

Your projects, as well as the extra effort of documenting them, show
significant time and material investments. Most folks have either one or
the other at certain times. Having plenty of both makes you a lucky man!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 4:15*am, B A R R Y wrote:
Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Howard, you do very, very nice work! *The other projects are terrific,
as well, from both design and execution standpoints.

Without prying too much, what do you do for a living?

Your projects, as well as the extra effort of documenting them, show
significant time and material investments. Most folks have either one or
the other at certain times. *Having plenty of both makes you a lucky man!

I own a Property Management company. As far as time, I work one or two
hours in the morning when I get up and a few hours when I get home,
When I do get to a point where I need to dig in I do have the luxury
of taking a day or two off. As far as the extra effort I believe if
this is your hobby and there isnt a deadline why not make it special.
My wife helps alot and works along side me on a lot of the projects.
When I get tired and want to take a short cut to just get it done she
is the one that reminds me that I like to make it special. In the bar
I was only going to curve the one end and she was the one that
convinced me that both ends needed to be curved. I knew that so it was
back on the table. All of the projects are build without any plans,
just an idea in my head and it evolves from there. I am amazed when it
all comes out as well as it does. I always try to out do myself on the
next project. The next one has to be better than the last. My wife
encourges me to get the right tools to do the job and I fully take
advantage of that. My true hobby isnt woodworking it is tool buying. I
have a sign in my workshop that say " I would rather have it and not
need it than need it and not have it." That said I am going to look
for the next tool I cant live with out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 2:30 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Good job Howard!

Very nicely done. I like the design of it a lot.

I did too. He should put mirrors behind the booze to make it appear he has
double the supply.

Hey.. I like your thinking.

Or wait.... maybe he should just double his supply and invite us all
over to break it in!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 9:54 am, Howard wrote:
All of the projects are build without any plans,
just an idea in my head and it evolves from there. I am amazed when it
all comes out as well as it does. I always try to out do myself on the
next project. The next one has to be better than the last.

I don't want to make too much out of it, but that being the case, you
have a gift. If you can design and build something with the design
and the finish detailing without help or assistance and no plans, you
have a unique talent. Especially if it isn't your normal line of
work.

I think that makes it all the more special.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Apr 23, 2:30 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Good job Howard!

Very nicely done. I like the design of it a lot.

I did too. He should put mirrors behind the booze to make it appear he
has
double the supply.

Hey.. I like your thinking.

Or wait.... maybe he should just double his supply and invite us all
over to break it in!

When I first saw the pictures of Howard's finished bar, I wondered when
happy hour was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Very nice work!

Did you build the items while the house was being constructed? Looks
like that was the case.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Very nice work!

Did you build the items while the house was being constructed? *Looks
like that was the case.

Frank

no, built them after we moved in. if you look at the photos on the bar
you can see the extent we had to go to to make sure there wasn't any
overspray or leakage into the other rooms. completely isolated the
area of the bar to spray it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard wrote:

I own a Property Management company. As far as time, I work one or two
hours in the morning when I get up and a few hours when I get home,
When I do get to a point where I need to dig in I do have the luxury
of taking a day or two off.

You're efficient!

The reason why I asked is that I know some folks who work schedules like
8 on, 6 off, so the ol' woodworking moves quickly.

I find it hard to work wood in short spurts, so I tip my hat to ya'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 8:59*am, Howard wrote:
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
atwww.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

Howard, that is really beautiful work. I have read your other comments
on this thread and I'm amazed that you don't plan the design ahead of
time because all of the trim and esthetics go toghether so well.

I am in the middle of an entertainment niche project similar in
concept to the one you did (upstairs?). I made a detailed sketch in
order to estimate materials and make sure that the structural design
would work, but I'm completely intimidated by the trim-out design. I'm
very inexperienced in this regard, and don't even know the proper
terminology other than the crown molding at the top and fluted columns
at the side (mine will be flat). I keep looking for a live example or
a photograph of an application very simlar to mine, because I know I
can copy a style, I just don't feel like I can come up with my own.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I have to use ash to
match some adjacent cabinetry. So, I have to find a trim/millwork
supplier that has a good selection of styles in ash. I think that
looking at molding and trim pieces in a showroom will give me a much
better idea of the look I want.

Speaking of fluted colums, did you do the millwork yourself? If so,
I'd love to know how you did it.

Once again, great design, and great work!

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 3:17*pm, wrote:

Speaking of fluted colums, did you do the millwork yourself? If so,
I'd love to know how you did it.

Nevermind, I just got my answer while looking at the pics of you niche
project. It's great to see your wife getting in on the action!

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 1:17*pm, wrote:
On Apr 22, 8:59*am, Howard wrote:

[...]

I made the rounded fluted columns with a legacy orimintal mill.
( http://www.legacywoodworking.com/ ) They are not that difficult with
the mill. Don't watch there CD or you will go crazy till you get one
and they are not cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard wrote in news:04a1b3d7-0402-4963-a410-
:

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures
at
www.howardboehm.com
any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the
final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from
begining
to end.

I like that howard. It would be an honor to be kicked out of bar like that.
Lord knows I've been kicked out of lesser.