NorthIdahoWWer

Default First major project completed.

I was going to post pics in apbw but didn't think people would appreciate
having to thumb through 25 pics so I created a webpage.
http://users.adelphia.net/~wchathaway/project1.html

Comments welcomed.

Will

Vic Baron

"NorthIdahoWWer" wrote in message
I was going to post pics in apbw but didn't think people would appreciate
having to thumb through 25 pics so I created a webpage.
http://users.adelphia.net/~wchathaway/project1.html

Comments welcomed.

Will

Very nicely done, Will! Your customer should really be satisfied.

Vic

NorthIdahoWWer

Thanks for the compliment.

Will

Very nicely done, Will! Your customer should really be satisfied.

Vic

Dan

On Thu 05 May 2005 03:21:02p, "NorthIdahoWWer"
wrote in :

Comments welcomed.

Comment is that it ended up looking pretty good.

But actually what I got is questions: was there any one thing that ate up
more time than you thought? Was it just inexperience at estimating, or was
it surprises? What were they? :-)

In one programming training class one of the handouts was a method for
estimating a project: figure out how much time it should take, then double
it and increase the time unit to the next larger one. Thus, a four-hour job
will take 8 days and a two-day job will take four weeks.

I taped it to the office door but my supervisor made me take it down.
NorthIdahoWWer

Good questions. There were a few things that caused the project to go over
the estimated time. First was my inexperience in estimating. Second was a
very particular customer. Third, I didn't consider the time it would take
to design the job, work out the details, etc. as well as how many frickin
trips it took to the local borgs, lumber yard, etc... I guess the third
relates back to the first. So mainly yes, it was my inexperience. I do
like your method of estimating. I originally estimated 3 weeks so by your
method, it should have taken 6 months but only took 2 so in reality, I came
in 4 months ahead of schedule. :-) Too bad I priced it according to the 3
weeks. ha

Thanks for the comments.

Will

But actually what I got is questions: was there any one thing that ate up
more time than you thought? Was it just inexperience at estimating, or was
it surprises? What were they? :-)

In one programming training class one of the handouts was a method for
estimating a project: figure out how much time it should take, then double
it and increase the time unit to the next larger one. Thus, a four-hour

job
will take 8 days and a two-day job will take four weeks.

I taped it to the office door but my supervisor made me take it down.

RonB

Sounds kinda like the old Rodale Press rule for estimating home projects:

1) Conduct exhaustive planning of materials and time.

2) Add the hours and dollars.

3) Double your estimates

This is about 1/2 of the cost and time - Works!

RonB