Default The PEST project - completed.

Hi,
I've been working on an electrically powered slug thrower that makes
the best use of available battery power. It is finally done. It
operates like a "centrifuge" gun and can launch 5/16" (7.9mm) diameter
delrin spheres at 460 ft/sec (140 m/s). The launcher can fire single
shots, 3 shot bursts or full auto (5 shots per second). The magazine
capacity is 50 shots.
It is powered with a 7 cell NiCd pack.

I call it a "PEST" or Portable Electromechanical Slug Thrower.

Please see the webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/pest3125 - Please try later if the site goes
down due to bandwidth limits

The photo album is at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/pest3125

All parts were made on a Sherline tabletop milling machine.

Tim Wescott

wrote:

Hi,
I've been working on an electrically powered slug thrower that makes
the best use of available battery power. It is finally done. It
operates like a "centrifuge" gun and can launch 5/16" (7.9mm) diameter
delrin spheres at 460 ft/sec (140 m/s). The launcher can fire single
shots, 3 shot bursts or full auto (5 shots per second). The magazine
capacity is 50 shots.
It is powered with a 7 cell NiCd pack.

I call it a "PEST" or Portable Electromechanical Slug Thrower.

Please see the webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/pest3125 - Please try later if the site goes
down due to bandwidth limits

The photo album is at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/pest3125

All parts were made on a Sherline tabletop milling machine.

Coming from Oregon I have to express my disappointment when I realized
it does not throw shell-less mollusks -- now _that_ would be a worthy
invention!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Gunner

On 11 Oct 2005 09:55:57 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I've been working on an electrically powered slug thrower that makes
the best use of available battery power. It is finally done. It
operates like a "centrifuge" gun and can launch 5/16" (7.9mm) diameter
delrin spheres at 460 ft/sec (140 m/s). The launcher can fire single
shots, 3 shot bursts or full auto (5 shots per second). The magazine
capacity is 50 shots.
It is powered with a 7 cell NiCd pack.

I call it a "PEST" or Portable Electromechanical Slug Thrower.

Please see the webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/pest3125 - Please try later if the site goes
down due to bandwidth limits

The photo album is at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/pest3125

All parts were made on a Sherline tabletop milling machine.

How well does it work with ball bearings?

Gunner, going to check the link

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
pest3125

#How well does it work with ball bearings?

The mechanism is currently made of mild steel and firing steel balls
results in severe erosion. The edges of the track will loook 'smeared'
and rounded after firing the bearings (thats a lot of force!). It needs
to be made of hardened steel for ball bearings to work well.

Jonathan Kirwan

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:17:09 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

snip
Coming from Oregon I have to express my disappointment when I realized
it does not throw shell-less mollusks -- now _that_ would be a worthy
invention!

hehe. We *do* have a number of them!

We also have some with tiny shells on tacked like a bit of rock on the
tip of their tails. I've seen them, pale white albino-looking that
live under rocks and actually feed on worms. These are _NOT_ snails,
by the way. I had quite an argument with one of the professors at
Portland State about what I was looking at, until I brought in a box
of them for him to take a look at -- he insisted that they were snails
until he saw them for himself. Then dead quiet while he looked. He
then referred me to another professor in Arizona who specialized in
such things and I finally got the information then that these were
very rare, but already-known slugs which do eat worms.

We called them "slug monsters" because these would be the monsters
that worm mothers would tell their kids about, if they weren't being
nice.

Jon

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jonathan Kirwan
wrote (in
) about 'The PEST project -
completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:
We also have some with tiny shells on tacked like a bit of rock on the
tip of their tails.

In Britain, we have very large yellow ones that have vestigial shells. I
use to walk along a path after dark, where they were wall-to-wall if it
was, or had been, raining. Like treading on squishy ice. Yeuk!
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that pest3125
wrote (in . com) about
'The PEST project - completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:
It needs to be made of hardened steel for ball bearings to work well.

Try aluminium with a smear of oil. It's a little-known fact that Al/hard
steel is a non-wearing combination. See Austin 7 crankshaft main
bearings. Ball and roller races directly inserted in an Al casting(;-)
Tim Wescott

John Woodgate wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that pest3125
wrote (in . com) about
'The PEST project - completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:

It needs to be made of hardened steel for ball bearings to work well.

Try aluminium with a smear of oil. It's a little-known fact that Al/hard
steel is a non-wearing combination. See Austin 7 crankshaft main
bearings. Ball and roller races directly inserted in an Al casting(;-)

That will only be true if the balls aren't smacking into the rails with
enough force to punch through the film strength of the oil. In this
case they're probably hitting hard enough to deform aluminum directly,
I'd guess.

But yes, steel on aluminum makes a decent bearing with the right
lubrication -- take the Cox 0.049 engines as an example.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Jim Stewart

John Woodgate wrote:
I read in sci.electronics.design that pest3125
wrote (in . com) about
'The PEST project - completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:

It needs to be made of hardened steel for ball bearings to work well.

Try aluminium with a smear of oil. It's a little-known fact that Al/hard
steel is a non-wearing combination. See Austin 7 crankshaft main
bearings. Ball and roller races directly inserted in an Al casting(;-)

Depends on the load, hardness of the AL and lubrication.
I'd suspect that the impact would peen the AL badly.

Ted Edwards

Jim Stewart wrote:
Depends on the load, hardness of the AL and lubrication.
I'd suspect that the impact would peen the AL badly.

What about Al balls on a steel track and a film forming lube - MoS2?

Ted

Nick Müller

wrote:

I've been working on an electrically powered slug thrower that makes
the best use of available battery power.

Fine! But ... and ... ummm ... ah yes ... no ... or ... gotit ... errr
.... OK, the slugs are out of your garden, and then?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Bob Stephens

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:18:34 +0100, John Woodgate wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jonathan Kirwan
wrote (in
) about 'The PEST project -
completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:
We also have some with tiny shells on tacked like a bit of rock on the
tip of their tails.

In Britain, we have very large yellow ones that have vestigial shells. I
use to walk along a path after dark, where they were wall-to-wall if it
was, or had been, raining. Like treading on squishy ice. Yeuk!

They used to get in under the crack of my back door into the kitchen at
night. You haven't fully experienced life's lowest ebb until you have
stepped barefoot on a cold slimy slug in the dark at 3 in the morning.

Bob

pest3125

Unfortunately, aluminum balls are rather expensive.
The track and rotor were brushed with Dri-Slide (a graphite and moly
based lube).

I live in Central Oregon and NO slugs. Came from Issaquah, WA in 1998
and the daily record for shooting slugs with carb cleaner was about
1800. Perhaps it was more.

I was also very disappointed to learn it was not a slug tossing
machine, but a slug tossing mchine.

Paul

Jonathan Kirwan

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:41:30 -0700, Tim Wescott

I live in Central Oregon and NO slugs. Came from Issaquah, WA in 1998
and the daily record for shooting slugs with carb cleaner was about
1800. Perhaps it was more.

I was also very disappointed to learn it was not a slug tossing
machine, but a slug tossing mchine.

Paul

Sorry, once again someone west of the Cascades has forgotten about the
rest of Oregon.

What's west of the Cascades?

Jon

P.S. Yeah, pumice is kind of hard on slugs.
Jonathan Kirwan

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:11:55 GMT, Jonathan Kirwan
wrote:

What's west of the Cascades?

^^^^

Sorry, I meant _east_!!
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Bob Stephens
wrote (in ) about 'The PEST
project - completed.', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:

They used to get in under the crack of my back door into the kitchen at
night. You haven't fully experienced life's lowest ebb until you have
stepped barefoot on a cold slimy slug in the dark at 3 in the morning.

They're trying to raid the fridge. Put a saucer of beer outside for
them. They won't bother to come inside.

To be really gross, put a teaspoonful of salt on one. Honey, I shrunk
the slug!
Gunner

On 11 Oct 2005 13:20:57 -0700, "pest3125" wrote:

Unfortunately, aluminum balls are rather expensive.
The track and rotor were brushed with Dri-Slide (a graphite and moly
based lube).

And Aluminum balls wont go fast enough for any decent range. When you
can get it to penetrate a 2x4 at 50 yrds..............................

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Ted Edwards

Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
What's west of the Cascades?

The Wet Coast.

Ted
Reyd

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi,
I've been working on an electrically powered slug thrower that makes
the best use of available battery power. It is finally done. It
operates like a "centrifuge" gun and can launch 5/16" (7.9mm) diameter
delrin spheres at 460 ft/sec (140 m/s). The launcher can fire single
shots, 3 shot bursts or full auto (5 shots per second). The magazine
capacity is 50 shots.
It is powered with a 7 cell NiCd pack.

I call it a "PEST" or Portable Electromechanical Slug Thrower.

Please see the webpage:
http://www.geocities.com/pest3125 - Please try later if the site goes
down due to bandwidth limits

The photo album is at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/pest3125

All parts were made on a Sherline tabletop milling machine.

I like most people thought this was some form of pest launcher(to remove
pests from the garden)
out here we have banana slugs which are about 6" long.
stepped upon they actually pop, and are everywhere eating flowers.
perhaps there is some way of adopting your idea to propel these pests
good and far(exploding ammuntion thats free)
that aside, you've built one awesome launcher, I'm tempted to experiment
and see if my 14"dia dust collector impeller could do something similar
with golf balls.
the boxy shape looks quite interesting.

--
All they do is slap some lipstick on and try to
pretend it's not a pig.

this couple is gets attacked by... uh... *grabs lamp*
a lamp monster! *waves lamp around* Woooooooooo!"

-Delta Nine
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:30:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ted
Edwards quickly quoth:

Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
What's west of the Cascades?

The Wet Coast.

AND the relatively dry Rogue Valley, where I live.
I used to get all sorts of crap from the Coasties in
Carlsbad when I lived in Vista, 7 miles inland and
"East of I-5". Yup, I got no respect.

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com
Michael A. Terrell

Reyd wrote:

I like most people thought this was some form of pest launcher(to remove
pests from the garden)
out here we have banana slugs which are about 6" long.
stepped upon they actually pop, and are everywhere eating flowers.
perhaps there is some way of adopting your idea to propel these pests
good and far(exploding ammuntion thats free)
that aside, you've built one awesome launcher, I'm tempted to experiment
and see if my 14"dia dust collector impeller could do something similar
with golf balls. the boxy shape looks quite interesting.

There are some large yellowish spiders around here called "Banana
Spiders". they are strange looking, and build large webs all over the
place.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Mark

And one of my faves is the Slug Cookbook....
There may be a side-recipe for marbled murrelet under glass, but
I'm not sure. /mark

Reyd wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:27:42 +0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Reyd wrote:

I like most people thought this was some form of pest launcher(to remove
pests from the garden)
out here we have banana slugs which are about 6" long.
stepped upon they actually pop, and are everywhere eating flowers.
perhaps there is some way of adopting your idea to propel these pests
good and far(exploding ammuntion thats free)
that aside, you've built one awesome launcher, I'm tempted to experiment
and see if my 14"dia dust collector impeller could do something similar
with golf balls. the boxy shape looks quite interesting.

There are some large yellowish spiders around here called "Banana
Spiders". they are strange looking, and build large webs all over the
place.

I've heard that there are no spiders that eat bananas that are venomous.
;-D
--
Cheers!
Rich

Mark Fergerson

Reyd wrote:

I like most people thought this was some form of pest launcher(to remove
pests from the garden)
out here we have banana slugs which are about 6" long.
stepped upon they actually pop, and are everywhere eating flowers.
perhaps there is some way of adopting your idea to propel these pests
good and far(exploding ammuntion thats free)
that aside, you've built one awesome launcher, I'm tempted to experiment
and see if my 14"dia dust collector impeller could do something similar
with golf balls. the boxy shape looks quite interesting.

There are some large yellowish spiders around here called "Banana
Spiders". they are strange looking, and build large webs all over the
place.

I've heard that there are no spiders that eat bananas that are venomous.

Where do you find venomous bananas?

Mark L. Fergerson

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mark Fergerson
wrote (in 4UQ3f.1715$UF4.911@fed1read02) about 'The PEST project -
completed.', on Fri, 14 Oct 2005:

Reyd wrote:

I like most people thought this was some form of pest launcher(to remove
pests from the garden)
out here we have banana slugs which are about 6" long.
stepped upon they actually pop, and are everywhere eating flowers.
perhaps there is some way of adopting your idea to propel these pests
good and far(exploding ammuntion thats free)
that aside, you've built one awesome launcher, I'm tempted to experiment
and see if my 14"dia dust collector impeller could do something similar
with golf balls. the boxy shape looks quite interesting.

There are some large yellowish spiders around here called "Banana
Spiders". they are strange looking, and build large webs all over the
place.

I've heard that there are no spiders that eat bananas that are
venomous.

Where do you find venomous bananas?

I think that's the joke, but I'm not sure that there aren't varieties of
banana that will at least give you a nasty pain.

These yellow things ('figs') are only one of many types that you can get
in the Caribbean islands, I believe. Some are inedible until cooked.

Spehro Pefhany

Reyd wrote:

[...]

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address
while riding from Washington to Pennsylvania on the back of an
envelope?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany
wrote (in
) about 'The PEST project -
completed.', on Fri, 14 Oct 2005:

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address while
riding from Washington to Pennsylvania on the back of an envelope?

Well, he was riding post-haste.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:20:21 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Rich
the Newsgroup Wacko quickly quoth:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:27:42 +0000, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are some large yellowish spiders around here called "Banana
Spiders". they are strange looking, and build large webs all over the
place.

I've heard that there are no spiders that eat bananas that are venomous.
;-D

I got lucky a few times in my yout after telling the story of the
giant, leaping, yellow, banana spiders of Mexico. We lived 50 miles
north of the border. Fond memories. Wanna see the scar? g

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

Btw, I have made 2 short videos (~300kB each) of the PEST firing. If
you go to the http://www.geocities.com/pest3125 webpage and click on
"Photos", there are 2 links at the bottom of the page where you can
download the videos