Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

Default Roundover Router Bits

If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would you
consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SBH wrote:
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would you
consider or is essential to woodworking?

Depends...

I've found everything from 1/16" to 1" indispensable at some time or
another. What are you wanting to round over?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest work
out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 5:45*pm, "SBH" wrote:
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would you
consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

I would start with 3/8" bit and then go from there as needed most wood
is 3/4" so a 3/8 bit will just knock off the edge without taking to
much.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message
news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest work
out.

I would add a 3/16 and drop the 1/2. But that depends upon what kind of
stuff you build.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 7:18*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com... If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 *Then buy as needed. *These will get the biggest work
out.

I second what Leon stated. I feel there is a need for each size
listed in the projects I do. In addition - but this is less often -
there may be a need for a 3/4 inch round over. I used this as the
predominant bit in the bed I made last year.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 7:18*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com... If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 *Then buy as needed. *These will get the biggest work
out.

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

The one that looks good for the job at hand. And remember, to do a 3/4"
thick piece of wood half way you need a 3/8", not a 3/4". Most of what I do
is 1/4" or 3/8", but ymmv

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in
news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com:

If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes
would you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

You may be able to pick up a roundover set with common sizes. You'll
probably get 4 or 6 for $10-15 less than what buying individual bits
would cost.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:

If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

I would also look into cove bits tooooooo...
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 7:18 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com... If you were to
purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest work
out.

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Actually I use a 3/32" a lot, especially for blunting an edge a little more
than what a sander would do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest
work
out.

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Actually I use a 3/32" a lot, especially for blunting an edge a
little more than what a sander would do.

These will be your bread and butter bits, especially the small ones.

Buy quality set(s), you will save over time, not only money, but time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes
would you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

Initially...
1/4
3/8
1/2

Others when/if you need them

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would

you
consider or is essential to woodworking?

Since much of woodworking seems to be done on the ubiquitous 3/4" stock, the
two most used roundover bits in my shop are a 3/16 and a 3/8.

That said, and except for the fact that you will occasionally have to make
an unscheduled trip to the hardware store, the very best way to buy router
bits, of any kind, is as you need them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Same here, along with 1/8. Most of my roundovers are small, for
breaking edges with a laminate trimmer.

I'm not a big fan of the look of roundovers larger than 3/8 in very many
designs. About the only time I use a larger one is to top balance a
table edge ogee.

When purchasing roundover bits, selecting bits that can also cut an
ovulo, like this:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/McGrawHill/atchitecture/f0692-01.png
can make them much more useful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 7:18 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com... If you were to
purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would
you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest work
out.

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Actually I use a 3/32" a lot, especially for blunting an edge a little more
than what a sander would do.

I mostly use a sanding block for those kind of edge 'easing'.

That 'easing' of a long piece of oak trim can be fun if you do not use a
block, but just a piece of sandpaper. A 2" sliver can then accordion its
way into the index finger's 2nd joint requiring surgery.... or si I'm
told.
I now use an 1/8' for 'easing' oak edges and always climb-cut it in a
laminate trimmer. A 3/32"would do just fine as well, except I want to
see more results from my efforts...

I see GoogleGroups has completely **** the bed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I see GoogleGroups has completely **** the bed.

Yeah, don't look now Google, but there's a chink in your armor ... strictly
in a manner of speaking, you understand.

I only got two spams this morning using OE and a couple of simple "news
rules", but the *******s do appear to be running off the faint of
heart/girly men.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Robatoy" wrote

I see GoogleGroups has completely **** the bed.

Yeah, don't look now Google, but there's a chink in your armor ...
strictly
in a manner of speaking, you understand.

I only got two spams this morning using OE and a couple of simple "news
rules", but the *******s do appear to be running off the faint of
heart/girly men.

faint of heart/girly men.

ROTFL,,, Nancy Boys, Um here we go,,,,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:08:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

That said, and except for the fact that you will occasionally have to
make an unscheduled trip to the hardware store, the very best way to buy
router bits, of any kind, is as you need them.

With most tools that take a range of different sized add ons, whether it
be router bits, forstner bits, or sockets I tend to buy a big cheap (but
adequate) set of everything, then replace the ones I use enough to
notice. Or break.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Garage_Woodworks" .@. wrote in message

I would start with 3/8" bit and then go from there as needed most wood
is 3/4" SNIP

Most wood is 3/4" ?

--
Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com

In my case, yes. If you look at my wood pile, I have one 5/4 piece of
cherry, one piece of 8/4 and the rest is 4/4 finished to 3/4". About 85% or
more of what I've done is that size.

ADT router bits SBH Woodworking 19 November 13th 07 12:44 AM
3/4" roundover, 1/4" shank router bit? Interious Woodworking 13 March 22nd 05 01:06 AM
roundover router samuelmanual Woodworking 2 March 15th 05 04:11 AM
spiral router bits and router technique Doug Woodworking 6 January 29th 05 03:15 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM