Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table top

Would the new 3/4 Phenolic Plywood avail. at Woodcraft be a better
solution than 2 pcs. of 3/4 MDF laminated both sides?

The top is part of a table saw extension mounted on plates running the
length of the rails. The top will be approx 2' X 2'. I am hanging a
Triton 2-1/4 hp.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 10:27*am, Alan wrote:
Would the new 3/4 Phenolic Plywood avail. at Woodcraft be a better
solution than 2 pcs. of 3/4 MDF laminated both sides?

The top is part of a table saw extension mounted on plates running the
length of the rails. The top will be approx 2' X 2'. I am hanging a
Triton 2-1/4 hp.

Hello Alan,
Other folks may have differing opinions but I think 3/4 inch not thick
enough to prevent sag unless you rib it with a few pieces of
dimensional lumber. The surface of the phenolic stuff would be ideal,
just make sure that you have enough strcture underneath.
Also, think about what would occur if you added a groove for a miter
slot. Better to go thicker or go with a good infrastructure. (Wow, I
finally got to use that word in a sentence.)
On a different note, a freind of mine wants me to make a bathroom
vanity from birch plywood and paint it white. I showed her the
phenolic ply and she preferred that to the paint only so that's the
way I'm going to proceed.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 11:37 am, marc rosen wrote:
On Apr 12, 10:27 am, Alan wrote:

[...]

Got to agree with Marc. The Triton is light for a large router, but
hanging there over time, it's probably going to create warp. That
said, you shouldn't have too much difficulty working out a bracing
framework.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
On Apr 12, 10:27 am, Alan wrote:
Would the new 3/4 Phenolic Plywood avail. at Woodcraft be a better
solution than 2 pcs. of 3/4 MDF laminated both sides?

The top is part of a table saw extension mounted on plates running the
length of the rails. The top will be approx 2' X 2'. I am hanging a
Triton 2-1/4 hp.

Hello Alan,
Other folks may have differing opinions but I think 3/4 inch not thick
enough to prevent sag unless you rib it with a few pieces of
dimensional lumber.

Agree. Why take a chance on a, hopefully, once in a lifetime project, the
table of your dreams.