Jen

Default Bosch 4410 SCMS questions

I am thinking of using this saw to replace my seldom used radial arm
saw. I want to keep my long fence and cabinet that is built into my
shop. If you have this saw could you tell me the distance from the
front of the fence to the most rearward part of the saw when the slide
is all the way back. I have a wall that is 15 inches from the fence
and I need to see if I can cut a pocket in that wall to accomodate the
slide of this saw. I can't go very deep with this pocket because the
wall is an outside wall of my shop. Also how wide the base of the
4410 is when all fences are set to narrowest position. No info of
this kind on any document by Bosch. Thanks.
Comcast News

I bought this saw at a woodworking show a few weeks ago, but haven't
installed it yet. This is my incentive to clean up my shop. I'll at least
take it out of the box this weekend and measure it. The manual has loads of
information including all of the callibration procedures, but not any
dimensions. I'll let you know what I find out.

chuck

"Jen" wrote in message
I am thinking of using this saw to replace my seldom used radial arm
saw. I want to keep my long fence and cabinet that is built into my
shop. If you have this saw could you tell me the distance from the
front of the fence to the most rearward part of the saw when the slide
is all the way back. I have a wall that is 15 inches from the fence
and I need to see if I can cut a pocket in that wall to accomodate the
slide of this saw. I can't go very deep with this pocket because the
wall is an outside wall of my shop. Also how wide the base of the
4410 is when all fences are set to narrowest position. No info of
this kind on any document by Bosch. Thanks.

Specter

I'm guessing you've never seen a Bosch 4410. Neither have I, but it appears
to be largely based on the chassis of a 4412, which is the type of saw I
use. If that's the case, there's no way it'll fit your limited workspace.
The 4412, at least, is a big sucker requiring a full 26 inches of free space
from the fence back. I'd say the machine's minimum width is, at least, as
much.

To be frank, I don't think any sliding miter saw would fit into the space
you've allotted.

Rob

----------------------------

"Jen" wrote in message ...
I am thinking of using this saw to replace my seldom used radial arm
saw. I want to keep my long fence and cabinet that is built into my
shop. If you have this saw could you tell me the distance from the
front of the fence to the most rearward part of the saw when the slide
is all the way back. I have a wall that is 15 inches from the fence
and I need to see if I can cut a pocket in that wall to accomodate the
slide of this saw. I can't go very deep with this pocket because the
wall is an outside wall of my shop. Also how wide the base of the
4410 is when all fences are set to narrowest position. No info of
this kind on any document by Bosch. Thanks.

Jen

Rob:

The Makita LS1013 will fit. The outside wall is 2x6 with 5/8 drywall
on it so that adds potentially 5-7/8 which makes 20-7/8 overall. The
Makita measured 19-3/4 from fence back. Close but it would work. I
have had good luck with Makita and will go that route I suppose but
their saw had way more slop in the arm mechanism than did any of the
Bosch or Hitachi saws on display. The Makita arm mechanism has the
slide reversed from the other designs making the arm at full extension
for most small cuts resulting in more play. I do like the double
bearing of the Makita but was not thrilled with the mitre stop detents
either. They were sloppy and it would appear that for my type of work
I would still have to make a trial cut when setting up each miter. I
was hoping to have a system that would set up perfectly without fuss.
I have had good luck with Makita but the castings and overall
engineering of the Bosch saws seemed better. Their detent mechanism
was very strong and positive with no wiggle. You are correct the 4412
is a monster but their 3915 is not so big. I just thought that since
the 4410 was a new saw and a 10" slider that I would like to measure
it and then perhaps look at it if it can be made to fit. I am going
to own the thing a long time so am not in a super hurry and won't buy
anything if I can't find what I need. The old RAS still works OK.

"Jen" wrote in message ...
I am thinking of using this saw to replace my seldom used radial arm
saw. I want to keep my long fence and cabinet that is built into my
shop. If you have this saw could you tell me the distance from the
front of the fence to the most rearward part of the saw when the slide
is all the way back. I have a wall that is 15 inches from the fence
and I need to see if I can cut a pocket in that wall to accomodate the
slide of this saw. I can't go very deep with this pocket because the
wall is an outside wall of my shop. Also how wide the base of the
4410 is when all fences are set to narrowest position. No info of
this kind on any document by Bosch. Thanks.

Comcast News

The distance from the fence to the end of the rails with the saw all of the
way back is approximately 25". The distance from the front of the base to
the back of the rails is approx 31". The width without the fences or the
extensions extended is 23" plus an inch or so for the knob to hold the
"stop". This knob (or the extensions themselves) can be removed.

"Jen" wrote in message
I am thinking of using this saw to replace my seldom used radial arm
saw. I want to keep my long fence and cabinet that is built into my
shop. If you have this saw could you tell me the distance from the
front of the fence to the most rearward part of the saw when the slide
is all the way back. I have a wall that is 15 inches from the fence
and I need to see if I can cut a pocket in that wall to accomodate the
slide of this saw. I can't go very deep with this pocket because the
wall is an outside wall of my shop. Also how wide the base of the
4410 is when all fences are set to narrowest position. No info of
this kind on any document by Bosch. Thanks.

Jen

Thank you for taking the time to do those measurements for me. It
looks like it is too deep at 25" so I will likely go with the Makita
LS1013 or stay with my Radial arm saw a bit longer. From what I could
see of the specs on the 4410 it looked like a fine saw. The German
engineering always seems to impress me. The 3915 was a nice saw too
but only single bevel design and it also was a bit too deep at over
23" . The 3915 however did use a single slider bearing on one side
with what appeared to be a delrin bushing on the other side. That
part I was not crazy about. The Makita did use linear ball bearings
on both tubes. The thing was just a bit wobbly for my tastes and it
seemed mainly to be because the slide bars were fully extended when
the saw was all the way back which seemed backward from what the saw
needs to be. Just my musings. Again - thanks a bunch.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:36:47 GMT, "Comcast News"
wrote:

The distance from the fence to the end of the rails with the saw all of the
way back is approximately 25". The distance from the front of the base to
the back of the rails is approx 31". The width without the fences or the
extensions extended is 23" plus an inch or so for the knob to hold the
"stop". This knob (or the extensions themselves) can be removed.

.. .