Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New SketchUp Tutorials Available for Woodworkers

Hi Folks,

I have been using SketchUp, the free drawing package from Google, for
about three months (though 3D drawing for about 15 years). I know what
it is like for a newbie to come up the curve. To help others,
especially woodworkers, I have posted the first two parts of a six
part tutorial on the how to draw a bedside table on my blog. Part
three will go up today. It is intended for beginners. I am also using
this material to teach a class in my local area. So check it out. If
you use it please send me feedback, the kind I can use to make it
better. I have a thick skin and small ego, so you won't hurt my
feelings. My blog is www.srww.com/blog and my contact information is
on my website www.srww.com .

Thanks,
Joe.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Joe!

New WW Sketchup stuff is ALWAYS welcome!

Skip
www.ShopFileR.com

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I have been using SketchUp, the free drawing package from Google, for
about three months (though 3D drawing for about 15 years). I know what
it is like for a newbie to come up the curve. To help others,
especially woodworkers, I have posted the first two parts of a six
part tutorial on the how to draw a bedside table on my blog. Part
three will go up today. It is intended for beginners. I am also using
this material to teach a class in my local area. So check it out. If
you use it please send me feedback, the kind I can use to make it
better. I have a thick skin and small ego, so you won't hurt my
feelings. My blog is www.srww.com/blog and my contact information is
on my website www.srww.com .

Thanks,
Joe.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 04:42:04 -0700, Chiefwoodworker wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been using SketchUp, the free drawing package from Google, for
about three months (though 3D drawing for about 15 years). I know what
it is like for a newbie to come up the curve. To help others, especially
woodworkers, I have posted the first two parts of a six part tutorial on
the how to draw a bedside table on my blog. Part three will go up today.
It is intended for beginners. I am also using this material to teach a
class in my local area. So check it out. If you use it please send me
feedback, the kind I can use to make it better. I have a thick skin and
small ego, so you won't hurt my feelings. My blog is www.srww.com/blog
and my contact information is on my website www.srww.com .

Thanks a ton, I've been fighting with some of the quirks for a few days
now trying to get up and running.

I've only skimmed Part 1 but it looks very useful (the 3 rules taught me
part of the solution to my struggles already)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 12:26 pm, Marc Britten wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 04:42:04 -0700, Chiefwoodworker wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have been using SketchUp, the free drawing package from Google, for
about three months (though 3D drawing for about 15 years). I know what

Marc & Skip,

Thanks, I am glad you find them useful. I just put up Part 3. I am
learning like you, though I have been drawing 3D models with another
CAD tool for about 15 years. I found de-learning that tool and doing
things the SketchUp way a little frustrating at first. But once I
understood the simplicity of SketchUp and gave up trying to make it do
things the way traditional CAD tools do, I found it quicker and more
enjoyable. So I decided to teach a class in the local area and that is
where this material is coming from. I am also getting a lot of
feedback from SketchUp experts on other and easier ways to do things
and it has been very helpful. I am learning a lot with this tutorial.
So I hope you are too.

Joe....
www.srww.com

it is like for a newbie to come up the curve. To help others, especially
woodworkers, I have posted the first two parts of a six part tutorial on
the how to draw a bedside table on my blog. Part three will go up today.
It is intended for beginners. I am also using this material to teach a
class in my local area. So check it out. If you use it please send me
feedback, the kind I can use to make it better. I have a thick skin and
small ego, so you won't hurt my feelings. My blog iswww.srww.com/blog
and my contact information is on my websitewww.srww.com.

Thanks a ton, I've been fighting with some of the quirks for a few days
now trying to get up and running.

I've only skimmed Part 1 but it looks very useful (the 3 rules taught me
part of the solution to my struggles already)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:37:51 -0700, Chiefwoodworker wrote:

[...]

The most helpful part so far is you trying to get people in the "think
ahead" mindset. This makes modeling easier. I was fighting for a while
with some components that I flew through after doing parts 1 and 2.

Thanks again, I'll work through 3 shortly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have worked my way through part 3 and am finding it very helpful. I
started into SU over the winter when business was slow, trying to model our
decks and porches. Most off the shelf deck and porch software had no way
for me to show a customer the details that we work into our projects. As a
result we had been using pencil drawings that my partner would produce. I
have been able to accomplish good renderings of our work for a couple of
customers and now need to try and refine my skills and methods in order to
produce the designs more quickly and efficiently.

Your tutorial has been very helpful in seeing new ways to approach a
project, as well as manage the process.

Thanks for your hard work,

SteveP.
www.stellarbuilders.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stellarbuilders/

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. For your information Part 4 is out. I am
learning a lot about SketchUp myself. In fact I have been
characterizing each tool to figure out how they work and what their
shortcomings are. I am thinking that after this series of tutorials,
starting another which would focus on just one tool for each
installment, but cover it in absolute thoroughness with examples. Is
that something you would find useful?

Joe....
www.srww.com

SteveP.http://www.stellarbuilders.nethttp:/...ellarbuilders/

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe that it might. I believe that there are quite a few users who
develop a decent understanding of the basics of the program. At least
enough to get something of what they need to do done. I think that they
then slip into the trap of "well that's good enough" and no longer dig for
more knowledge. Sometimes it may seem easier to keep going with what works
rather then digging deeper for more knowledge. I think that further
knowledge is what produces more efficient work and/or better results. I was
thinking that my deck designs so far were pretty nifty, but then I look at
the work that others have done and realize that I have barely scratched the
surface.

SteveP.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Highland,

I agree with you and find myself falling into the same trap. So this
is a way for me to gain a better understanding too. The isea is still
forming in my head but I think I am going to do something like this.

Joe....
www.srww.com

wrote:
[...]

Google SketchUp 6 Louis Ohland Metalworking 7 January 28th 08 06:27 AM
sketchup tips Andy Burns[_2_] UK diy 0 August 5th 07 12:43 AM
Google sketchup John Rumm UK diy 64 May 15th 07 06:43 PM
Google SketchUp for Woodworkers Tutorials? Mark Jerde Woodworking 3 December 30th 06 01:44 AM
Google Sketchup? BlueJohn UK diy 7 September 2nd 06 11:11 PM