Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Google sketchup

I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-11 03:59:27 +0100, John Rumm said:

I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours
with it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

Coo....

You'll have Reader's Digest in contact. Buying rather than selling though ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

Very impressive! And I had no idea the google graphics software was so
good.

I wouldn't dream of editing your wiki as I'm afraid all I know about
door hanging comes from watching a pro at work. However, personally
I've always fitted linings myself in their final position, complete with
architraves, and had the walls plastered, before getting the doors
hanged just before decorating - that was the way I was told - so am
interested to read your method, ie basically fitting linings and foor
together. Is that more 'usual'?

I don't see anything in there about ensuring everything is plumb - FWIW
the trick my joiner showed me when positioning the linings was to look
through the doorway from left to right, lining up the opposite vertical
edges of the lining - ie, looking from 'A', line up B with C. Works
very well.

-------------| |-------------
top view | doorway |
-------------| |-------------

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup for
design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

John the illustrations are top notch. Well done for taking the time and
trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Very impressive! And I had no idea the google graphics software was so
good.

It seems to be quite powerful once you can persuade it to do what you
want. Its the last bit that is tricky!

I wouldn't dream of editing your wiki as I'm afraid all I know about
door hanging comes from watching a pro at work. However, personally
I've always fitted linings myself in their final position, complete with
architraves, and had the walls plastered, before getting the doors
hanged just before decorating - that was the way I was told - so am
interested to read your method, ie basically fitting linings and foor
together. Is that more 'usual'?

Depends on where you are starting from really. You can fit the things in
a variety of orders as needs dictate. If you save the architraves til
last (or remove them first) then it gives you more scope to adjust the
fit later.

Another approach is to fit and set in stone the frame, and then "shoot
in" the door to match any peculiarities of the frame (i.e. planing a
taper on the door if the frame narrows a little etc). This is a useful
technique when refitting a door to an old existing frame that can't
easily be tweaked, but takes longer (and does not get as neat a result)
for new frames and doors. (it also means you are stuffed if you ever try
to move the door to a different frame!)

I don't see anything in there about ensuring everything is plumb - FWIW

I touched on that in the fixing the lining bit: "Use packing pieces
behind the lining if necessary to get the sides parallel and upright.
Keep the top rail horizontal" but did not cover checking for skew like
your method will check. Perhaps I ought to add a note about that.

If your wall is ok then it ought to work out about right just by
centring the lining on the wall, if the wall is not, then you may be
better off taking some of the adjustment up with the stop fitting rather
that all at the lining fitting stage, or else you may end up with a step
from lining to plaster

the trick my joiner showed me when positioning the linings was to look
through the doorway from left to right, lining up the opposite vertical
edges of the lining - ie, looking from 'A', line up B with C. Works
very well.

-------------| |-------------
top view | doorway |
-------------| |-------------

David

Yup. Checking B and C are plumb on both axis is a good first step, but
you are right that "eyeing it up" is always a good check since often
stuff like this is better looking right rather than actually being
exactly right.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

WoW! That is mighty impressive. I've played with Sketchup, but without
any particular aim in mind. It's nice to see what can be achieved with
some hard work.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

Bloody brilliant!

I was looking for something like that to check what I was doing was
right. (fortunately it was) but I still have another 7 doors to hang so
I have bookmarked the page.

:¬)

Thankyou, and the graphics make it sooooo much easier to follow.

Pete
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk - Gym Equipment & Fitness Equipment & stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

WoW! That is mighty impressive. I've played with Sketchup, but without
any particular aim in mind. It's nice to see what can be achieved with
some hard work.

Yup, that was the problem I had at first... without something worthwhile
to draw you soon get board of making odd shapes and poking holes in
them! ;-) (bit like learning a new programming language or similar
technology without having a real problem to solve)
--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:37:22 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

|! This is a useful
|!technique when refitting a door to an old existing frame that can't
|!easily be tweaked, but takes longer (and does not get as neat a result)
|!for new frames and doors. (it also means you are stuffed if you ever try
|!to move the door to a different frame!)

Having only refitted ill fitting doors rather than fitting them, a bit on
this, by someone who knows more about it than me, would be useful. Doors
expand when they get wet in winter. They stick when the frame moves
slightly. etc. etc.

A page on fitting 5 lever locks in wooden doors would be useful, I have
done at several but never been totally satisfied with the cosmetic result.
The security results have always been good, but I doubt that they would
have withstood police with those two handed hammers.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

I think credit lies with the workman rather than the tool.

Timely too as I am about to tackle the job for the first time ever (but
then I am only 50-something).

One point of detail. You say "The chamfer wants to slope from the front
of the door (as looked at from the opening side) to the back." But is
that slope *up* or slope *down*? I thought the picture give the answer
until I realised that if the picture showed the door from the other side
it would not show the slope at all. And while I think I can work it out
(and check the answer with the help of bits of paper stuck in the door)
reassurance would be welcome.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

What patience! I always think of it as a 3d tool but this shows how
useful it is for basic illustration. Is there somewhere that hosts
Sketchup files so we can rotate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony" wrote

John the illustrations are top notch. Well done for taking the time and
trouble.

Seconded

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

What patience! I always think of it as a 3d tool but this shows how
useful it is for basic illustration. Is there somewhere that hosts
Sketchup files so we can rotate?

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component and
objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to slap
sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

(I think I need to improve the discipline of workflow in sketchup
though. I found it quite easy to do a bit of the drawing and then grab a
2d snapshot of the picture I wanted, then modify the model some more and
get to the next photo - much like I was doing the task for real and
photographing as I went along. The problem with this method is that you
lose the intermediate 3d models and keep just the photos).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote

John the illustrations are top notch. Well done for taking the time and
trouble.

Seconded

Phil

I think John is a ******* as I now have no excuses not to fit the new door
and frame at the girlfriends this weekend. I wanted to watch Sheff United v
Wigan at the pub.

Thanks a lot for the excellent wiki.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Tony" wrote

John the illustrations are top notch. Well done for taking the time
and trouble.

Seconded

And thirded - well done that man.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

One point of detail. You say "The chamfer wants to slope from the front
of the door (as looked at from the opening side) to the back." But is
that slope *up* or slope *down*? I thought the picture give the answer
until I realised that if the picture showed the door from the other side
it would not show the slope at all. And while I think I can work it out
(and check the answer with the help of bits of paper stuck in the door)
reassurance would be welcome.

Yup, I was not convinced that was clear enough as I wrote it, even with
the illustration (and yes you are right, I did need to show it from the
other side so as not to hide the chamfer).

I have just updated it to:

"The chamfer wants to slope from the front of the door (as viewed from
the opening side) down to the back. So if you were looking down on the
top of the door it will have a slightly trapezoidal profile."

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The chamfer wants to slope from the front of the door (as viewed from
the opening side) down to the back. So if you were looking down on the
top of the door it will have a slightly trapezoidal profile."

That's now much clearer, thanks. But dare I suggest a belt-and-braces
(or, if you prefer, pedantic and anal retentive) amendment so it reads
".....a slightly trapezoidal profile with the back narrower than the
front"? (I don't dare to amend the Wiki direct.)

--
Robin

PS
I shall *not* be posting pictures of the irregular polygon I expect to
produce on my first attempt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
"The chamfer wants to slope from the front of the door (as viewed from
the opening side) down to the back. So if you were looking down on the
top of the door it will have a slightly trapezoidal profile."

That's now much clearer, thanks. But dare I suggest a belt-and-braces
(or, if you prefer, pedantic and anal retentive) amendment so it reads
".....a slightly trapezoidal profile with the back narrower than the
front"? (I don't dare to amend the Wiki direct.)

In fact I did actually add a little more than I quoted above - I snipped
too soon. It currently also mentions that the narrow bit of the
trapezoid goes at the back against the stops.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 03:59:27 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

I started with Sketchup Yesterday to see if I could do a plan of a
site I'm quoting on. I gave up, I got a reasonable looking warehouse
bit (big square, not too hard) dodgy looking store bit (sort of
rectangle thing that did not look anything like what it was meant to)
and a fence that looked like it had been hit by a low flying jet.

I'll just draw up a spec and paint pictures with words, as per usual.

Top marks for the excellent diagrams.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2007 07:59, Lobster wrote:

I had no idea the google graphics software was so good.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles.skp

I made "components" consisting of a base unit + run of worktop to allow
positioning, also the tiles are to scale and you can "slip" the tiling
along the walls to work out good positions ofr joins.

If you look at the outside wall you see a few "diagonal cracks" where I
made the room exact to the nearest 5mm, including being out of square,
this caused those cracks which I didn't notice until too late to undo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I think John is a *******

true, but I can't help that! ;-)

as I now have no excuses not to fit the new
door and frame at the girlfriends this weekend. I wanted to watch Sheff
United v Wigan at the pub.

We won't tell her if you don't!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-11 20:40:30 +0100, Owain said:

ARWadsworth wrote:
I think John is a ******* as I now have no excuses not to fit the new
door and frame at the girlfriends this weekend. I wanted to watch Sheff
United v Wigan at the pub.

Ah, but just think of all the nice things your girlfriend will have no
excuses for not doing with you now you have been so helpful and made
such a big sacrifice for her.

You might get a home-made steak pie for your tea.

Owain

Forget it. Causes cancer. No need for the headache excuse any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-11 20:40:30 +0100, Owain said:

ARWadsworth wrote:
I think John is a ******* as I now have no excuses not to fit the new
door and frame at the girlfriends this weekend. I wanted to watch
Sheff United v Wigan at the pub.

Ah, but just think of all the nice things your girlfriend will have no
excuses for not doing with you now you have been so helpful and made
such a big sacrifice for her.

You might get a home-made steak pie for your tea.

Owain

Forget it. Causes cancer.

But only if he inhales MDF dust when he's planing the edges though.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I wanted to see if I could actually draw something useful with sketchup
for design or building purposes. So I picked project to see if I could
illustrate it that way.

Rather than just waste my time I thought I may as well burden yours with
it as well ;-)

The results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Hanging_a_door

It's very well done. Did you have to draw every part from scratch or
were there useable objects in the library?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

It's very well done. Did you have to draw every part from scratch or
were there useable objects in the library?

I drew the wall, door, supports etc.

I found the hinge, screw/bolt/grey fixing thing, door handle, and pointy
arrow in the online collection of objects.

The collections of pre drawn stuff could be better, I could not find
anything that looked like an normal screw anywhere. No doubt that will
improve with time as more stuff is shared.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:59:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component and
objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to slap
sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on
the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:59:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component and
objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to slap
sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on
the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

Yup, I see what you mean, One could cheat and rename it .jpg, but that
would probably not help getting it back.

Perhaps that is a setting that Grunf can tweak?

If not I am happy to offer a directory on our web site for files like
that. Then you can do an external url link to them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The collections of pre drawn stuff could be better, I could not find
anything that looked like an normal screw anywhere. No doubt that will
improve with time as more stuff is shared.

I just found the bonus packs. These are well worth downloading, the
construction one in particular since there is lots of useful shapes in
there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:59:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component and
objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to slap
sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on
the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

geta screenshot into a gif..?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 11/05/2007 07:59, Lobster wrote:

I had no idea the google graphics software was so good.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles.skp

Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to download your file.
Can it not be uploaded somewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2007 08:36, Tony wrote:

Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to download your file.
Can it not be uploaded somewhere?

I /have/ uploaded it somewhere, which appears to be what you've taken
issue with, but .skp files are documents not executables, come to think
of it there are real-world example of viruses hidden in image and video
files I could point you at, but none infecting CAD files I'm aware of.

I thought it might be appreciated as a DIY-relevant example of what I've
achieved with sketchup, I've uploaded a couple of exported .png images
from it.

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles1.png
http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles2.png

Unfortunately they are each larger than the whole .skp file and are
merely static images of a boring kitchen, you can't zoom and spin around
anymore and learn anything about SketchUp from them. Because it's a
whole room "plan" and not of a huge room it was difficult to pick a
single good viewpoint, without the camera ending up "inside" the walls.

Anyone out of their tiny mind (or with anti-virus software installed) is
still welcome to download the original file ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:36:58 +0100, "Tony" mused:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 11/05/2007 07:59, Lobster wrote:

I had no idea the google graphics software was so good.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles.skp

Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to download your file.
Can it not be uploaded somewhere?

Please tell me why I am not in my right mind?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 01:45:14 GMT, John Stumbles
mused:

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:59:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component and
objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to slap
sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on
the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

Print to file and convert to an image file?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 22:24:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

It's very well done. Did you have to draw every part from scratch or
were there useable objects in the library?

I drew the wall, door, supports etc.

I found the hinge, screw/bolt/grey fixing thing, door handle, and pointy
arrow in the online collection of objects.

The collections of pre drawn stuff could be better, I could not find
anything that looked like an normal screw anywhere. No doubt that will
improve with time as more stuff is shared.

When you have to draw objects that are not available in the (on line?)
library, can you add them to the library for public use? If so I'll
definitely take tho trouble to download and learn the program.

I see you added a texture to the door that went some way toward giving
the impression of a grained surface. Is there much choice in that
department? If I wanted to draw a specific door design could I go much
further in making the grain effect more realistic, or are the texture
fills fixed to a limited few?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2007 12:09, Mike Halmarack wrote:

When you have to draw objects that are not available in the (on line?)
library, can you add them to the library for public use?

Don't think so, you can publish an entire model so it's visible within
Google Earth

I see you added a texture to the door that went some way toward giving
the impression of a grained surface. Is there much choice in that
department? If I wanted to draw a specific door design could I go much
further in making the grain effect more realistic, or are the texture
fills fixed to a limited few?

You can import any bitmap, and give it a scale then it as a texture,
there are a fair few standard ones included.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2007 10:30, Lurch wrote:

Please tell me why I am not in my right mind?

:-)

Another model I did, not bad for someone who would struggle to draw a
breezeblock in AutoCAD.

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/GroundFloor.jpg
http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/GroundFloor.skp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 11/05/2007 07:59, Lobster wrote:

I had no idea the google graphics software was so good.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles.skp

Very nice!

(Kind of puts my door to shame!)

I made "components" consisting of a base unit + run of worktop to allow
positioning, also the tiles are to scale and you can "slip" the tiling
along the walls to work out good positions ofr joins.

One of the down loadable extension packs I found the other night has
kitchen units and appliances in it. (I hav not yet checked to see if
they are all American sizes though)

If you look at the outside wall you see a few "diagonal cracks" where I
made the room exact to the nearest 5mm, including being out of square,
this caused those cracks which I didn't notice until too late to undo.

Probably find them in the real building if you look close ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 11/05/2007 07:59, Lobster wrote:

I had no idea the google graphics software was so good.

I'm not claiming it's perfect, but here's my kitchen plan done in sketchup

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/kitchen_units_tiles.skp

Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to download your file.

Why is that?

Can it not be uploaded somewhere?

Where do you think it is now then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:59:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well google hosts (or at least indexes) loads of completed component
and objects. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason not to
slap sketchup files in the wiki for download if they are DIY related.

Unfortunately it seems you can't put anything other than image files on
the wiki. (At least I couldn't upload a spreadsheet which I wanted to.)

geta screenshot into a gif..?

Not the same as being able to download the original cad model so that
you can user or adapt/ adopt / Improve it tough is it?

--
Cheers,

John.