Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Google SketchUp 6

Saw someone had used this to design a simple lathe carriage stop.
http://sketchup.google.com/

Google SketchUp Pro 6 $495

To which I say how much is a real package?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:25:23 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:
Saw someone had used this to design a simple lathe carriage stop.
http://sketchup.google.com/

Interesting, hadn't seen that.

Google SketchUp Pro 6 $495
To which I say how much is a real package?

I guess the answer depends on entirely what you can't do with Google
SketchUp (free), or SkechUp Pro ($495). People could better help you
meet your spec if you'd, well, spec it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That was my thought. Just because something is on Google does not mean
that it's somehow worth the $$$.

cavalamb himself wrote:
That's Robbery - on par with Autocad!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think Google sketchup is free at all. I downloaded the "free"
trial version which give you up to 8 hours of "design time". That's not
enough to get you very far.

They have a neat tutorial that shows how easy it is to do some (simple)
things, but as soon as you get past it, you have to go through the same
rote learning process that I went through with other CAD programs in
order to complete a fairly simple drawing.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------------
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:25:23 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

Saw someone had used this to design a simple lathe carriage stop.
http://sketchup.google.com/

Interesting, hadn't seen that.

Google SketchUp Pro 6 $495
To which I say how much is a real package?

I guess the answer depends on entirely what you can't do with Google
SketchUp (free), or SkechUp Pro ($495). People could better help you
meet your spec if you'd, well, spec it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The tial version is for SketchUp Pro, which is the $495 product. Pass
the ketchup.

spaco wrote:
I don't think Google sketchup is free at all. I downloaded the "free"
trial version which give you up to 8 hours of "design time". That's not
enough to get you very far.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi guys,

I'm not a metalworker, but I am a SketchUp guy.

There are 2 versions of SketchUp: Google SketchUp is the free version,
and Google SketchUp Pro is the commercial version ($495.)

If you inadvertently downloaded the 8-hour Pro trial version, the Pro
features will time out and you will be left with Google SketchUp free
version.

For a comparison of the 2 versions, see:
http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=36201

As far as modeling/design capabilities the 2 versions are identical.
The main differences are in import/export abilities, and Layout; which
is a presentation enhancement.

Hope this helps.

spaco wrote:
I don't think Google sketchup is free at all. I downloaded the "free"
trial version which give you up to 8 hours of "design time". That's not
enough to get you very far.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:25:23 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

Saw someone had used this to design a simple lathe carriage stop.
http://sketchup.google.com/

Interesting, hadn't seen that.

Google SketchUp Pro 6 $495
To which I say how much is a real package?

I guess the answer depends on entirely what you can't do with Google
SketchUp (free), or SkechUp Pro ($495). People could better help you
meet your spec if you'd, well, spec it.

That's Robbery - on par with Autocad!

DesignCAD v18 $49 - full package.
http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/D...5/Default.aspx

I haven't found anything it can't do yet.
for instance:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm
or:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/l-one.htm

Although animating Bender was a bitch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUWZO2HVuBA

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.heinz.com/

Google sketchup John Rumm UK diy 64 May 15th 07 06:43 PM
Google SketchUp for Woodworkers Tutorials? Mark Jerde Woodworking 3 December 30th 06 01:44 AM
Google Sketchup/Router Fence [email protected] Woodworking 5 October 19th 06 06:05 AM
Google Sketchup? BlueJohn UK diy 7 September 2nd 06 11:11 PM