Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 3:56:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I painted my kitchen cabinets which one we bought the house they said was
fairly new and it was painted over God knows what plywood and then painted
like it had a wood texture. it was much too dark for tiny kitchen so I
painted the upper cabinets in a white oil-based paint and they are fine.
Other than a couple of chips from somebody slamming stuff into them, they
are washable and still look beautiful and this is over 20 years ago. I got
lazy because I was pregnant and did the bottom cabinets with the same color
but in latex paint. It is still tacky! When I say tacky, it's disgusting to
touch any harder to clean because it takes some of the latex and peels it
back. I am in no financial position to place my kitchen cabinets and I need
to get this latex stuff off of them. I even use my fingernail when I'm
sitting here watching TV in my kitchen and peel what I can peel. What can I
do to get this crap off of the cabinets and then prepare them for another
painting with oil paint?

Strip them with a citrus based stripper. If the latex never bonded in the
first place, it'll come off real easy.

Depending on how much is stripped off, you can prime with an oil based
primer or use Benjamin Moore Advance Primer. If you aren't sure which,
take a door with you to a local independent paint store that carries
Benjamin More paints.

Paint with Benjamin Moore Advance paint. Great stuff. Takes a little
longer to cure than other paints, but it cures really hard and durable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=areCvMJMhO8
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 May 2020 18:05:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

And proper cleaning before applying a latex paint is WAY more
important than with an alkyd paint. Just a touch of grease will
prevent latex from sticking - an oil pase paint can absorb a small
amount of grease/oil and still cure

Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 01:36 AM
Sticky finish problem Doug Woodworking 5 April 16th 06 12:28 PM
painting with latex bob kater Woodworking 4 March 25th 06 02:53 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Peeling After Painting With Latex Paint Mud Home Repair 0 November 27th 05 02:24 AM
Spray Painting - Latex willr Woodworking 4 September 25th 05 05:32 PM