Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting -Solutions?

On 5/13/2020 2:56 PM, wrote:

I painted my kitchen cabinets which one we bought the house they said was fairly new and it was painted over God knows what plywood and then painted like it had a wood texture. it was much too dark for tiny kitchen so I painted the upper cabinets in a white oil-based paint and they are fine. Other than a couple of chips from somebody slamming stuff into them, they are washable and still look beautiful and this is over 20 years ago. I got lazy because I was pregnant and did the bottom cabinets with the same color but in latex paint. It is still tacky! When I say tacky, it's disgusting to touch any harder to clean because it takes some of the latex and peels it back. I am in no financial position to place my kitchen cabinets and I need to get this latex stuff off of them. I even use my fingernail when I'm sitting here watching TV in my kitchen and peel what I can peel. What can I do to get this crap off of the cabinets and then prepare them for another painting with oil paint?

Talk to the paint store and either repaint with oil based or buy top
quality latex based. Cheaper latex paints tend to always feel like soft
plastic.