Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What kind of saw would you use?

My parents recently bought a new electric range for their condo, which
is 30" wide. Unfortunately, the old range was a drop-in, so the gap
between the cabinets is only about 29" wide. So, to make the new
range fit, I will need to cut back the formica countertops and the
vertical wooden trim boards. What kind of saw would you use on this
job?

My thoughts:

1. Sawzall - much too brutal
2. 7 1/4" circular saw - will cause too much chip-out and I won't be
able to get close to the edges
3. Jigsaw - best bet, but line may be a bit wiggly
4. As-yet-unpurchased mini circular saw (5") - same issues as #2?
5. handsaw - I get tired just thinking about it. After all,
electrons are our friends.

The countertops and cabinetry are all sub-beautiful,so basically I'm
looking for the best way to make a clean straight cut without a whole
lot of agony.

Thanks!

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote in message
between the cabinets is only about 29" wide. So, to make the new
range fit, I will need to cut back the formica countertops and the
vertical wooden trim boards. What kind of saw would you use on this
job?

Router with a straight bit running along a guide edge. The router won't be
able to get right into the back corners, but you can cut that part a
little
wide with a hand saw and then trim it off with a razor knife.

Exactly. That's the way to go. If you don't have a router, you could use the
jig saw with a smooth cutting blade and a guide edge. G O V E R Y S L O W.
In this case patience (which I have very little of) is a virtue.
--
NewsProxy used here. Crossposters
and multiple addressees blocked.

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:47:10 -0700 (PDT), Kevin
wrote:

[...]

I guess you've checked and determined that you can't move one of the
cabinets an inch. Maybe to much offset to the hood?

You can cut the trim face frame piece with a circular saw with a guide
clamped on. I just did one, came out fine. They were walnut
stained, and I just flat blacked the cut face which is not seen
because of the range projection.

If the counters are not too long and don't turn to an L, take them
off, take them to a countertop place and get them to trim them for
you. Usually just a few screws in the corner gussets holding them on.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
Exactly. That's the way to go. If you don't have a router, you could use

the
jig saw with a smooth cutting blade and a guide edge. G O V E R Y S L O

W.
In this case patience (which I have very little of) is a virtue.

Also before cutting with the jigsaw, score the Formica with the sharp edge
of a knife. Another method is to run a piece of duct tape or something
like
that down the middle of the cut line which will minimize chipping, cut a
little wide with the jigsaw, then trim the edge with a razor knife.

Yet another little trick is to heat the formica with a hair dryer before you
cut it. But, I don't recommend this one for the novice.
--
NewsProxy used here. Crossposters
and multiple addressees blocked.

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking

chainsaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 5:01*pm, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
chainsaw

With Forrest ATB thin kerf chain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

ZZzactly. Cut the OTHER end.

Another choice is the 'down-cut' saw blades. Cuts laminate nice and
clean, but hang onto the saw...it want to ride upwards..push down on
it with authority when attempting a cut with those kinda blades. They
are specifically designed to cut laminate in that fashion. Leaves a
beautiful
edge.... go slow and steady against a straight edge. Finish off the
piece you can't cut with a Fein MultiMaster...now THERE's an excuse to
buy a wonderful tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote

chainsaw

Electric or gas?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message
My parents recently bought a new electric range for their condo, which
is 30" wide. Unfortunately, the old range was a drop-in, so the gap
between the cabinets is only about 29" wide. So, to make the new
range fit, I will need to cut back the formica countertops and the
vertical wooden trim boards. What kind of saw would you use on this
job?

I had the exact same problem once at my old house, I taped it up and used a
jig saw. Went through a bunch of blades, Smoothed the edges with a file and
a utility knife,

It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in news:wMzGj.363$Nc5.188
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote

chainsaw

Electric or gas?

Max

Electric, of course. The OP said "After all, electrons are our friends."

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 3:17 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Finish off the
piece you can't cut with a Fein MultiMaster...now THERE's an excuse to
buy a wonderful tool.

You know, they have just started the TV informercials on them again.
It looks mighty tempting. They show a room that is in shambles.

Then after purchasing the Fein tool, they show what has happened to
the room after they got started with that tool. Incredible. You
wouldn't recognize the room from the before and after pics.

Apparently it paints, stains, lays flooring, installs carpet, does
interior decorating (planning maybe? can't see it as a shopping aid)
and improves the lighting in the room. Not to mention the fact that
it cuts really long flat miters on fireplace mantles as well as trim
miters accurately and with ease. I think it may install windows as
well.

I know that tool is indispensable for some things, but I never knew it
was so versatile.

I was thinking Festool stuff... but I don't know now...

Damn you late night TV!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 1:47*pm, Kevin wrote:
My parents recently bought a new electric range for their condo, which
is 30" wide. *Unfortunately, the old range was a drop-in, so the gap
Thanks!

Kevin

The above ideas look good for cutting. But have you considered a
small corner molding to hide the end of the counter? Thin Plastic in
a matching/contrasting color? Maybe a nice wood, properly finished??
If you find something, you could use the chain saw (electric, of
course) for the cut.

Hope this helps.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Kevin wrote:

The countertops and cabinetry are all sub-beautiful,so basically I'm
looking for the best way to make a clean straight cut without a whole
lot of agony.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 8:48 am, Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

LMAO... there's some burning memories...

Robert