Enoch Root

Default what kind of wood is this?

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

--
er
RampRat

Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.
Rick

Enoch Root

RampRat wrote:
Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The
strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can
determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is
better:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg

Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have
the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem
stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close.

er
--
I call it rosewood in polite company--I call it chairwood when I'm alone.

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:44:15 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

RampRat wrote:
Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The
strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can
determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is
better:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg

Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have
the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem
stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close.

er

is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or
something in that family.
Robatoy

In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Enoch Root

wrote:

RampRat wrote:

[...]

It's not resinous... I think. I mean, it doesn't have an oily feeling...

It's hard enough to be considered hard on tools, though. I could see a
thin white line on the tip of my blade after maybe 1/2 hour of straight
shaving or so.

But no pitch or oil if I'm looking at it right.

er
Enoch Root

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although,
never having cut padouk...)

It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a
second picture a bit upthread...

It's very rigid, not bending very much at all when I torque a ~1/2"
piece between my hands.

er

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:35:34 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although,
never having cut padouk...)

It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a
second picture a bit upthread...

if it was padouk it would have been immediately obvious the first time
you touched it with sandpaper.

the orange color is intense. even a small amount of fine sawdust will
stain whatever it touches bright red.