DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what kind of wood is this? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/127828-what-kind-wood.html)

Enoch Root November 4th 05 01:12 AM

what kind of wood is this?

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

--
er

RampRat November 4th 05 05:51 AM

what kind of wood is this?

Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.
Rick

Enoch Root November 4th 05 05:44 PM

what kind of wood is this?

RampRat wrote:
Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The
strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can
determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is
better:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg

Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have
the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem
stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close. :)

er
--
I call it rosewood in polite company--I call it chairwood when I'm alone.

[email protected] November 4th 05 06:25 PM

what kind of wood is this?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:44:15 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

RampRat wrote:
Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The
strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can
determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is
better:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg

Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have
the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem
stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close. :)

er

is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or
something in that family.

Robatoy November 4th 05 09:08 PM

what kind of wood is this?

In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Enoch Root November 4th 05 09:43 PM

what kind of wood is this?

wrote:

RampRat wrote:

[...]

It's not resinous... I think. I mean, it doesn't have an oily feeling...

It's hard enough to be considered hard on tools, though. I could see a
thin white line on the tip of my blade after maybe 1/2 hour of straight
shaving or so.

But no pitch or oil if I'm looking at it right.

er

Enoch Root November 4th 05 11:35 PM

what kind of wood is this?

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although,
never having cut padouk...)

It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a
second picture a bit upthread...

It's very rigid, not bending very much at all when I torque a ~1/2"
piece between my hands.

er

[email protected] November 5th 05 12:16 AM

what kind of wood is this?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:35:34 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Enoch Root wrote:

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it
is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven
in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image
is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at
this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling)
something unavoidable?

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although,
never having cut padouk...)

It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a
second picture a bit upthread...

if it was padouk it would have been immediately obvious the first time
you touched it with sandpaper.

the orange color is intense. even a small amount of fine sawdust will
stain whatever it touches bright red.

P van Rijckevorsel November 18th 05 06:47 AM

what kind of wood is this?

s wrote:
is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or
something in that family.

Enoch Root" schreef
It's not resinous... I think. I mean, it doesn't have an oily feeling...

It's hard enough to be considered hard on tools, though. I could see a
thin white line on the tip of my blade after maybe 1/2 hour of straight
shaving or so.

But no pitch or oil if I'm looking at it right.

***
Definitely nowhere near apitong.
Surely not a rosewood or padouk.
But it is almost surely one of the Legumes.

PvR