Default what kind of wood is this?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:44:15 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

RampRat wrote:
Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and
compare.

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The
strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can
determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is
better:

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg

Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have
the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem
stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close.

er

is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or
something in that family.