Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Jeff Dantzler

Default What kind of steel is this???

I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

The 3 thick ones have the following stamped into them:
UNION-CARD DIV
STW 8 x 1 1/2
BLADE-1122 R & L
WEDGE-W-25 & W-25L

The thinner one has:
Apex Tool & Cutter Co Inc Shelton Conn
53-60404 8X 742 46-820052-01
BLADES 65-66-11

It's a safe bet that the teeth are some type of carbide.

What type of steel are the blades made out of?

What is the typical use of these cutters?

I ask because I will be very happy if I got 40+ lb. of some type
of tool steel that can be forged into interesting, sharp things.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Enoch Root

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

That's 404 (i.e., FNF) steel. Not very useful.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Dantzler

Enoch Root wrote:
Jeff Dantzler wrote:
I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

That's 404 (i.e., FNF) steel. Not very useful.

Can you elaborate? I'm not finding much with google. It is not
stainless.

Why is it not useful? What does FNF stand for?

Thanks.

Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob

"Jeff Dantzler" wrote in message
Enoch Root wrote:
Jeff Dantzler wrote:
I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

That's 404 (i.e., FNF) steel. Not very useful.

Can you elaborate? I'm not finding much with google. It is not
stainless.

Why is it not useful? What does FNF stand for?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff, your link to the pic is stuffed. Is this link correct?

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...op/cutters.JPG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Jeff Dantzler wrote:

Enoch Root wrote:
Jeff Dantzler wrote:
I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

That's 404 (i.e., FNF) steel. Not very useful.

Can you elaborate? I'm not finding much with google. It is not
stainless.

Why is it not useful? What does FNF stand for?

FNF stands for File Not Found, and 404 is the HTTP error
number for File Not Found. You presumably meant to refer
to http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...op/cutters.JPG
rather than cutter0007.JPG .

Are those about 100 pounds each? Must have taken a few horsepower
to run.
-jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Jeff Dantzler writes:

That's 404 (i.e., FNF) steel. Not very useful.

Can you elaborate? I'm not finding much with google. It is not
stainless.

Why is it not useful? What does FNF stand for?

File not found.

I think you meant:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...op/cutters.JPG

Looks like you got some huge horizontal mill tooling. I wouldn't expect
the bodies to be "tool steel", though, if they hold carbide inserts. if we
mean the same thing by "tool steel", as in, high-speed steel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AMW

all I got was

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

a.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

b.. Open the www.drizzle.com home page, and then look for links to
the information you want.
c.. Click the Back button to try another link.
d.. Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default What kind of steel is this (link fixed)

In article ,
says...
I'm embarassed.

I changed the file name to something with less numbers than
my camera spit out and forgot to update the link.

The correct file name is:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...op/cutters.JPG

I was hoping the saw bodies would be something tougher than
mild steel.

I'm sure they are - probably an alloy or carbon steel with good
properties in the Rc40 to 50 range, i.e., tending more towards tough
than very hard. Think wrenches rather than edge tools.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jack Hunt

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:11:04 -0000, Jeff Dantzler
wrote:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...cutter0007.JPG

404. Try this:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...op/cutters.JPG

--
Jack

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman

Judging by the rust and the grind, the inserts are most likely High speed
steel.

The bodies are probably hardened alloy steel. They have to be hard enough to
keep the saw tooth area (that locks in the insert) from getting dinged.

These are enormous stagger tooth horizontal milling cutters used to hog off
enormous amounts of metal.

The inserts are there for several reasons.
#1 it's cheaper,
#2 if you chip a tooth it doesn't trash the whole cutter, and
#3 Each resharpening makes the cutter slightly smaller. With this type of
insert, when they get ground too small for the job, the teeth can be moved
out one notch and reground to spec.

Paul K. Dickman

"Jeff Dantzler" wrote in message
I was at the scrapyard today and picked up some cutters.

Here is a photo:

The 3 thick ones have the following stamped into them:
UNION-CARD DIV
STW 8 x 1 1/2
BLADE-1122 R & L
WEDGE-W-25 & W-25L

The thinner one has:
Apex Tool & Cutter Co Inc Shelton Conn
53-60404 8X 742 46-820052-01
BLADES 65-66-11

It's a safe bet that the teeth are some type of carbide.

What type of steel are the blades made out of?

What is the typical use of these cutters?

I ask because I will be very happy if I got 40+ lb. of some type
of tool steel that can be forged into interesting, sharp things.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Dantzler

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
Judging by the rust and the grind, the inserts are most likely High speed
steel.

Okay. I thought for a bit that they may be carbide. Is the rust a giveaway
that they are not? i.e. does carbide not rust or rust differently?
I haven't gotten around to spark testing the inserts.

The bodies are probably hardened alloy steel. They have to be hard enough
to keep the saw tooth area (that locks in the insert) from getting dinged.

Any idea what type of steel or steels are used in these applications?
Ned suggested that it was likely a tougher rather than harder steel.

These are enormous stagger tooth horizontal milling cutters used to hog
off enormous amounts of metal.

What might the application(s) or industrial process be? The big cutters
have 2 keyways in the center. I can only imagine the forces acting then
these are doing their job.

The inserts are there for several reasons.
#1 it's cheaper,
#2 if you chip a tooth it doesn't trash the whole cutter, and
#3 Each resharpening makes the cutter slightly smaller. With this type of
insert, when they get ground too small for the job, the teeth can be
moved out one notch and reground to spec.

That's a really cool design as I think about it.

Thanks very much for your insight, Paul. And thanks to the others who have
also responded to my question.

Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Try using a file on it, if it just slides off it is hardened. Tool
bodies are usually something that will harden nicely but not in the tool
steel price range. Probably 4130 or 4140 range. Nice mterial to have
around but you need to anneal it (or at least normalize it) to be
reasonable to work with.

Anneal on 4140 is 1500F, cool at 20F per hour down to 1230F Rockwell 13
Normalize on 4140 is 1600F, air cool. Rockwell 22
In your case, heating to 1600F and burying in a big bucket of vermiulite
for a couple of days would be as good as it gets.

These temps on that big a chunk of steel will be a real joy for the
average hobbist!

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]